Petty Vents II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was told that a couple of Fred Meyer stores got their permit pulled for a week or something, so now most all of the Kroger stores, Safeway, Albertsons and Walmarts card EVERYONE. Some kind of "sting" operation, sending in underage agents or something.

My problem isn't really that they make me show it, it is that they actually scan it. That part just bugs me...maybe that's just me? 1984?
That would seriously creep me out. Do they scan IDs when they make deliveries?

Good point taxy! I've always have to shake my head every time I hear about booze being home delivered in some of the States. Don't think it's allowed here (Canada) anywhere.

That would seriously creep me out. Do they scan IDs when they make deliveries?
When I order wine online, FedEx is required to scan my ID when they deliver it. It;s their responsiblity to verify that I am over 21, and there is no other practical way for a 19 year old delivery kid to be accountable other than scanning my ID. I don't object - the poor kid is just doing his job and trying not to get busted, I often tease him about not looking my age. (BTW I an 70, and not easily confused with a 21 year old.)

Good point Silversage. Showing my own age forgetting about portable scanners that everyone seems to have now a days.
I can see scanning for home deliveries, because the kid has to prove himself. but in a store - I don't see the necessity of scanning an obviously senior citizen. or for that matter, any person who is obviously not a teenager. I think that is not only rude but invasive.
So no, I certainly wouldn't hassle a kid doing the delivery. In a store I might make a joke about it but never "hassle" someone doing their job. I've been in plenty of jobs on the receiving end.

What happened to protect your identity from theft? That will bring up a whole new batch of worms crawling out of the can should it ever come to pass.

I don't know about other provinces, but I can order booze online, from the SAQ. They ship it by Purolator and one of us has to sign for it at the door. I have never been asked for ID. When I order groceries from Métro, I buy boxes of wine. The delivery person doesn't even ask for a signature. They just help bring in the boxes. When I check out online, they say I will need to show ID. But, I'm 70 something and it's easy to look at me and be assured that I'm at least 18 years old.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have Crohn's disease, too, and my doctor told me a long time ago that I have an especially aggressive case. Lots of complications. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
Hey, we're in the same boat then! You're welcome to PM about it. I have had it for 21 years so I can understand whatever you've gone through as well.

taxy, I didn't know that. Forgot about deliveries from the grocers and didn't realize the SAQ would deliver as well. It's not something I need(ed) to do so have never thought about it. I should check out the LCBO, they probably do too. Still have no need of it, at least not yet!

My husband's mother and some of his adult children occasionally will invite themselves for dinner. Which is fine, but they don't ask me if the timing is convenient--actually they don't involve me in that conversation at all!

Yesterday for example: he was having a 3-way text with his mom and youngest daughter and his mom suggested they (and their partners) come for dinner Sunday, so he told them to come over Sunday around 5:30. He sprung this on me last night around 7 and asked what I wanted to serve with the ribs. My husband doesn't cook, or buy the groceries for that matter, but he knew I had bought several racks of baby back ribs on sale last week and they are in the garage freezer.

I wish someone would have asked me if I minded and if Sunday was ok. I have a big work project starting today, we have a wedding Saturday, and I was just going to relax and clean a little Sunday and Monday (Labor Day long weekend in the US) before buckling down on my work project next week. Because of the wedding Saturday, I won't have time to prep anything in advance or clean the house Saturday, so now I have to get up early on Sunday to clean and prep food. I really wanted to drink and have fun at the wedding but now have to limit myself so I can get up Sunday and get everything done. If they had asked me, I would have suggested Monday instead (hubby's mom and his FIL don't work and youngest daughter and fiance are off work for the holiday).

It'll be nice to see them, but they rarely invite us to their houses for dinner, so why didn't they ask us over instead? MIL and FIL have a big, beautiful recently remodeled kitchen and all new leather furniture in their living room to relax in after dinner, plus an outdoor seating area if the weather is nice. They haven't had us over since last Thanksgiving (I brought the turkey and pies). They've been over here 5 times for dinner this year plus we've gone out a few times. Youngest daughter and fiance both worked all week and are both working Tuesday so probably don't have time to shop and cook this weekend, plus they don't really cook. But I honestly would have been fine with just ordering pizza and I could have brought salad and dessert.

I bought hubby a smoker for his birthday in April. I asked if maybe he could smoke the ribs for Sunday (less work for me). He did set the smoker up after I gave it to him but he's never used it. He said it's going to be too hot Sunday, plus he's never smoked anything before so he doesn't want to risk messing it up.

Rant over. Sigh.

Why don't you just buy a bunch of pizza's - if they are shocked just say -

" sorry, been really busy and had I know earlier I might have been able to do something. So Pizza is better than Peanut Butter and Jam, no? "

Maybe they'll think about it. And do your day as you had intended to in the first place.
If they don't know how to be considerate of others....
or... you just text/call them all and say sorry but it's not convenient but you'll bring the pizza's to MIL - and how you are looking forward to it.

That, or, and, here's the shocker, tell hubby he invited them, he can get the house ready and provide the food, or he can call in front of you so he doesn't throw you under the bus, and tell them oops, sorry but I forgot Jusa already has plans. I know he won't be happy, but I guarantee he will never do it again if you stop letting him get away with it. Or, you can just get up "sick" Sunday and not be able to have company.

I would have done 1 of the above if Craig ever pulled something like that.

Why don't you just buy a bunch of pizza's - if they are shocked just say -

" sorry, been really busy and had I know earlier I might have been able to do something. So Pizza is better than Peanut Butter and Jam, no? "

Maybe they'll think about it. And do your day as you had intended to in the first place.
If they don't know how to be considerate of others....
or... you just text/call them all and say sorry but it's not convenient but you'll bring the pizza's to MIL - and how you are looking forward to it.
Basically since hubby already said we are having ribs it's kinda too late for that now, since MIL is bringing a cake for youngest daughter's birthday (which was the 24th) and youngest daughter eats a lot of pizza since she doesn't cook. Also my MIL had surgery in June to remove tumors from her liver so hubby is worried about her, though she lives right up the road and since he's retired he could get in his truck and go see her (but doesn't). I have the food on hand already so might as well just cook it instead of spending more money on the pizza.

I was really just venting. If I'd been given more notice I'd been ok with it. But yeah I've been aggravated more than once because they don't ask me directly or include me on group texts like that one planning dinner at our house. Now granted I have said in the past I don't want to be on group texts, but I was referring to the ones with the whole family (8 or more people) chiming in on baby photos or something like that where my phone is blowing up every 10 minutes with "oh how cute" comments (I use my phone for work so really can't have that).

I'll be ok lol.

Last edited:
That, or, and, here's the shocker, tell hubby he invited them, he can get the house ready and provide the food, or he can call in front of you so he doesn't throw you under the bus, and tell them oops, sorry but I forgot Jusa already has plans. I know he won't be happy, but I guarantee he will never do it again if you stop letting him get away with it. Or, you can just get up "sick" Sunday and not be able to have company.

I would have done 1 of the above if Craig ever pulled something like that.
It's not worth the week-long fight that will ensue with hubby over it. I've gotta concentrate on my work project next week and don't have the energy to deal with the hostility.

Definitely going to have him clean the house Sunday but problem with that is it'll be a shoddy job and I'll have to redo most of it, which is aggravating as well. He can't see well so he misses a lot when cleaning. And of course when I go back over it he gets cranky, so more aggravation.

Edit: I've done the "I'm sick" one more times than I can count.

At any rate whenever I resist it always backfires on me and I look like a jerk. And nothing changes.

You're lucky Craig can cook.

Last edited:
Basically since hubby already said we are having ribs it's kinda too late for that now, since MIL is bringing a cake for youngest daughter's birthday (which was the 24th) and youngest daughter eats a lot of pizza since she doesn't cook. Also my MIL had surgery in June to remove tumors from her liver so hubby is worried about her, though she lives right up the road and since he's retired he could get in his truck and go see her (but doesn't). I have the food on hand already so might as well just cook it instead of spending more money on the pizza.

I was really just venting. If I'd been given more notice I'd been ok with it. But yeah I've been aggravated more than once because they don't ask me directly or include me on group texts like that one planning dinner at our house. Now granted I have said in the past I don't want to be on group texts, but I was referring to the ones with the whole family (8 or more people) chiming in on baby photos or something like that where my phone is blowing up every 10 minutes with "oh how cute" comments (I use my phone for work so really can't have fhat).

I'll be ok lol.
It's good to vent, but it's also good to stand up for yourself and your needs. If you don't, they will continue to do this, because they don't know that it's a problem for you.

It's never too late to change the menu. Maybe burgers and potato salad. And your husband should back you up. If nothing else, he'd better be cleaning the house.

It's good to vent, but it's also good to stand up for yourself and your needs. If you don't, they will continue to do this, because they don't know that it's a problem for you.

It's never too late to change the menu. Maybe burgers and potato salad. And your husband should back you up. If nothing else, he'd better be cleaning the house.
I hate potato salad unless I'm the one making it--more work for me to do that. But thank you for the suggestions.

This has been going on for 24 years. Whenever I resist I get a boatload of guilt and negativity, and hubby and I have a week-long standoff which isn't worth it. I've stood up for myself before and it just doesn't work out well for me.

Not likely this is going to happen too much more in the future I think. MIL has liver cancer and is refusing radiation (not a candidate for chemo due to other health reasons) and youngest daughter is moving 6 hours away next month. Other kids live far away too except my oldest stepson who lives next door (in a blocked off wing of our house). We rarely see him though.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Last edited:
We are all behind you Jusa! I know you haven't been here long but are a valued member (and a fun contributor!) and as said before, it is good to vent and share. I can understand the circumstance and applaud your patience.

Been there, done that - both ways, but I haven't always been very gracious nor have much patience. It truly is too bad, your hubby should at least ask you if it's convenient.

I hate potato salad unless I'm the one making it--more work for me to do that. But thank you for the suggestions.
I hear you. It was just an idea. Make whatever you and your family like.
This has been going on for 24 years. Whenever I resist I get a boatload of guilt and negativity, and hubby and I have a week-long standoff which isn't worth it. I've stood up for myself before and it just doesn't work out well for me.
Sorry to hear that ❤️ Hope the weekend goes well for you.

It's not worth the week-long fight that will ensue with hubby over it. I've gotta concentrate on my work project next week and don't have the energy to deal with the hostility.
I suggest that you lay down the law about not being disturbed next week, since this surprise supper has thrown a huge monkey in the wood pile.

Back
Top Bottom