Odd foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I am now with a guy that has new trying things I would have NEVER thought I would.
I actually LOVE Escargot!! Loving sushi and they strangest I have tried is octopus. It was okay but, has to be done right or it's like rubber

What is the one thing you never would have thought you would like but do? The strangest thing?

That's good you are trying all those things that are new to you! I don't consider things unusual, as I will try just about anything! When I was growing up, I was in Spain for a little more than 3 years, and we went to restaurants all over Europe, and I would try the most unusual sounding foods, to gross out my sister, and I liked just about everything!

I just the other day reminded a friend of mine about something that I ate back in the 90s - some fertilized chicken eggs. There were some Vietnamese ladies, who ran a salon where I delivered mail, and naturally, I got talking to them about food! They would often give me samples of things they had for lunch. I could tell they were testing me, to see if there was anything I wouldn't try, and these were the most unusual, and one I had never tried! They gave me 6 of them, said they had to sit for 1 more day, then cook 2 of them, and try them. Then one more day, and try 2 of them. Then finally, another day (day 6, if I recall), the last 2. They said that people have different preferences - the one lady said she preferred the 2 day old ones, but her husband liked the 6 day ones, with more crunchy bones, which I also preferred. They were shocked that they got me to try them, and that I actually liked them!

These eggs are things I often see in the front of the Asian markets, stacked up just before the belt at the cash register. I always wondered why they would have those eggs there, unrefrigerated, and this explained it! And usually two stacks of them; though I can't read the language, it's basically telling how old they are. I never bought them, however.

Last edited:
I never thought I would like anything to do with trout. I have had trout. I have had trout that was so fresh that it was flopping around in my sink, even with no head or guts. But, it really wasn't enjoyable once cooked, and I like cooked saltwater fish. Then, I tried cold smoked trout. Oh yeah, that was delicious.

We were in Spain a few years ago and went to a restaurant where dishes were just brought out, one by one. Razor clams came first. Then some very odd looking shrimp. Then a plateful of sea snails...:wacko::wacko:
They were delicious!
Then we went to Mexico and I ate grasshoppers.

Sea snails in Spain, that reminds me. Back in the 1970s, I was on vacation on Mallorca. One afternoon, the waiters from the hotel resto had rolled up their trousers and they were wading in the bay. They were collecting something. We were served sea snails as part of supper that night. That was what the waiters had been collecting. They were an absolutely delicious surprise.

I really have not been exposed to a lot of exotic/potentially gross foods. I've had eel, snails and octopus and they were good. No Bizarre Foods such as what Andrew Zimmern showed us. I would not be interested in fertilized eggs or insects that squished when you bit into them.

I’d eat sushi pretty much every day! I don’t think it’s an odd food in the slightest. I also like escargot. I used to eat octopus until I learned what highly intelligent and beautiful creatures they are.

I used to think lardo was odd. I first ate it because I mistook it for cheese.

I ate various insects in Bangkok, but that wasn’t really food.

Sweetbreads (thymus gland). They were an appetizer special at a high-end restaurant where we had my birthday dinner once. I was surprised that I liked them.

The first time I had octopus, aka calamari, I was 15 and we were in San Francisco. My uncle bought some for all of us to try. Yum.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Sweetbreads (thymus gland). They were an appetizer special at a high-end restaurant where we had my birthday dinner once. I was surprised that I liked them.

The first time I had octopus, aka calamari, I was 15 and we were in San Francisco. My uncle bought some for all of us to try. Yum.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I think calamari is squid.

The first time I had octopus, aka calamari,
Octopus (pulpo in Spanish) and squid (calamari) are different animals.

Not too unusual, but I used to think that asparagus was what the Devil ate until...

I was a copy editor for a newspaper and, a Friday, casual food day was established. One of the writers brought an asparagus dish, using canned asparagus, and I was hooked.

Now, fresh, is one of my favorite veggies. Have 3 (8-oz.) packets of pencil-thin bunches in the freezer now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom