Tips for using your microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, casey must be why I often see very expensive cars outside of the dollar stores.
Actually I have a good friend in FL who frequently goes to TX. She not only shops at Nieman Markus but Walmart as well. On one occasion she asked me which article she was wearing came from where. LOL, I, of course, couldn't tell but I did ask her to please put on weight and buy bigger sizes so she could give her last years outfits to me.
She hasn't done it yet... :mad:

LOL, casey must be why I often see very expensive cars outside of the dollar stores.
Actually I have a good friend in FL who frequently goes to TX. She not only shops at Nieman Markus but Walmart as well. On one occasion she asked me which article she was wearing came from where. LOL, I, of course, couldn't tell but I did ask her to please put on weight and buy bigger sizes so she could give her last years outfits to me.
She hasn't done it yet... :mad:

Hey, I shop at Walmart. My favorite grocery store is HEB, but there is a Walmart less than a mile from my house, and you will often see my Audi parked near a few other Audis, a few Mercedes, and several BMWs... not to mention a bunch of REALLY expensive vehicles, Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 crew cab pickup trucks. Those suckers cost 80K plus -- a King Ranch special edition can set you back 100K, and Texans love those big gas guzzlers. They don't NEED them, but they love them.

Honestly, I thought Neiman Marcus (AKA Needless Markup) went out of business, but I was wrong. We don't have one here in Frisco, we have to settle for Nordstrom. We do have a Nordstrom Rack (where they sell overstocks and out of season stuff) that you should tell your friend about. I pop in from time-to-time, and have found some outstanding values there. Last month I bought a very nice $89 shirt there for $24.99.

CD

Last edited:
Can you avoid reheating food that explodes for 3 days?
I nuked the lentil soup last night, the one that had 'sploded all over the inside of MW before. I nuked it at 70% power, repeatedly for a minute, until it was warm enough. I had put a plate on top of the 1 litre, Pyrex, measuring cup that I used to heat the soup. Worked just fine. So, I don't need to wait for a cover to nuke the 'splody foods.

I nuked the lentil soup last night, the one that had 'sploded all over the inside of MW before. I nuked it at 70% power, repeatedly for a minute, until it was warm enough. I had put a plate on top of the 1 litre, Pyrex, measuring cup that I used to heat the soup. Worked just fine. So, I don't need to wait for a cover to nuke the 'splody foods.

Soup is notorious for splattering all over the inside of a MW oven. I generally use a paper plate to put on top of the bowl I use to nuke the soup. It still makes a lot of noise, but I don't have clean out the MW oven after the soup is ready to eat.

CD

I've noticed that when I use Sensor Reheat (uncovered dish/bowl) there isn't much splatter.
Do you find that sensor reheat usually makes food too hot? I usually check the temperature of the food, when I hear the sound level change as the power level changes. It's almost always ready at that point. So, honestly, I have seldom let it finish heating.

I hadn't actually noticed about the less spatter. But, I can't remember ever having spatter when using sensor reheat.

Do you find that sensor reheat usually makes food too hot? I usually check the temperature of the food, when I hear the sound level change as the power level changes. It's almost always ready at that point. So, honestly, I have seldom let it finish heating.

I hadn't actually noticed about the less spatter. But, I can't remember ever having spatter when using sensor reheat.
It's usually warm, and sometimes I add an extra 30 seconds.

My MW is a 23-year-old Kenmore that came with the house. Builder's grade appliance. It doesn't have any fancy things like sensors. It does allow me to adjust power settings, and has a few modes that I haven't been able to figure out, but for the most part, it is either on or off.

CD

It's usually warm, and sometimes I add an extra 30 seconds.
I'm going to guess that you have a Panasonic with Inverter as well. If that is the case, then I think that it might vary between individual MW units. Who knows how well they calibrate the temperature of the results? Or, maybe I just don't like my food as hot as you do.

I'm going to guess that you have a Panasonic with Inverter as well. If that is the case, then I think that it might vary between individual MW units. Who knows how well they calibrate the temperature of the results? Or, maybe I just don't like my food as hot as you do.

You just inspired a fond memory of my paternal grandmother. If her food didn't burn her tonsils, she'd say, "This is ice cold." Then she would take all of the food off the table and reheat it. Let a steak rest before cutting into it? No way. It can be overcooked and bone dry, but it must be HOT! :ROFLMAO:

CD

Many thanks for the tip about cooking sweet corn in the microwave.

I bought a single ear when I was in the local Wegman’s yesterday and nuked it this morning wrapped in a wet paper towel for 3 minutes.

The most impressive thing to me is that the corn silk came off so easily.

The corn ended up in a small pot of semi homemade corn chowder.

Thanks again,

1714974593881.jpeg

Many thanks for the tip about cooking sweet corn in the microwave.

I bought a single ear when I was in the local Wegman’s yesterday and nuked it this morning wrapped in a wet paper towel for 3 minutes.

The most impressive thing to me is that the corn silk came off so easily.

The corn ended up in a small pot of semi homemade corn chowder.

Thanks again,

View attachment 69132
Aunt Bea, you don't even need the paper towel. The husk serves that purpose. We've been using this method for years since I saw it on the internet. So easy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom