Everything you wanted to know about Vegetarianism and were afraid to ask post...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
,,,Also, the old Italian wheat berry ricotta pie that used to be a popular Easter treat in this area.

photo by Dee514
that looks so starchy, creamy, and delicious. I can see topping it with blackberry jam/puree. I don't have a no egg/dairy/oil recipe for that but if I find one, or anyone knows of one, let me know. I like the browned edges and I wonder if I could make it in a pie shell with parchment.

that looks so starchy, creamy, and delicious. I can see topping it with blackberry jam/puree. I don't have a no egg/dairy/oil recipe for that but if I find one, or anyone knows of one, let me know. I like the browned edges and I wonder if I could make it in a pie shell with parchment.
This doesn’t solve all of the issues but it might be a good place to start.

Practice, practice, practice! 🐷🐷🐷

I ended up with a 10 inch pie pan of it and a small casserole of it. We ate the casserole hot. It was cooked wheatberries, rice, (edit: honey) almond milk, some orange juice concentrate, orange rind, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and corn starch.
I cooked it up on the stove and wanted it thick enough so the wheat berries were suspended in the almond milk. Then put it in a pie pan with parchment. Baked at 350 deg F for 90 minutes.
Mr bliss wasn't sure about the texture with the wheatberries but once he had a few bites, love it. I love it. It's chewy and creamy and perfumed with the spices. This morning I topped half the pie with blackberry puree/jam.
wheatberryricepie-005.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom