El Toro Cooked Pork help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tfmc

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,
I was checking to see if NE1 on the Forum has any experience with the product listed in the title.
Here is a link to it online.
I am looking for recipes that I can use in chunks. But not your typical pork and rice stuff, or sandwiches.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Can it be shredded? If so, I have a couple of Mexican recipes you might like.

If you're just going to cube it, make a pork stew.

I also have a recipe for Lechon, a Pilipino style pork roast, if you're interested.

Let me know.

Mix your cubed ham with vegies such as cubed carrots, peas or broccoli. Stir it up with a heavy cream sauce, either a free standing dough or in a container. Braided or Pot Pie.

Thanx for all the great ideas!
I am leaning towards the pork stew, maybe in the crockpot?
The pork is already cooked and is seasoned to be used for Cuban sandwiches.
Can I sear the cubes before adding them to the crockpot?
Right now, the 5lb piece I have is frozen solid, the same way I purchased it. I would have to thaw the whole thing because I have no way to cut it frozen. I was thinking, carrots, roughly chopped onions, little whole red and yellow potatoes, and celery.
What else would work with this? Broccoli?
Also what kind of gravy or sauce could I make for this if I used the crockpot since the pork is already seasoned?
I tend to use Better than Bullion to create sauces. They do make a Sofrito seasoning, would that work?
Thanx again
The Fishman

.Broccoli would be nice but add it towards the end of cooking.
BtB also has salt, so with the ham as well, you will have to monitor and taste test.
As you've said, your ham is already cooked, you don't need to slow cook it now. You don't want to leach out the flavours. You can make a gravy/sauce for all.
Do your vegies separately then add to heat thru together. Slowly to let the flavours meld. You an use the crock pot but not for hours on end, and keeping it at a safe temperature.

Because it's already seasoned Cuban style, I would go with sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes and black beans. Maybe even some plantain.

Because the pork is already cooked, I would seriously consider making the gravy from a packet or use pork gravy from a jar.

1729092557063.png
1729092570396.png

I find that just about any root veggie other than beets work well in stew. I like beets, but I wouldn't put them in a stew. They overwhelm both with taste and colour, very easily. Root veggies that I know work well in stew, and I am probably forgetting some: carrots, celeriac (AKA celery root), rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, potatoes, and parsley root.

Last edited:
Mix your cubed ham with vegies such as cubed carrots, peas or broccoli. Stir it up with a heavy cream sauce, either a free standing dough or in a container. Braided or Pot Pie.
This sounds great!
Instead of a crockpot, how about a Dutch oven, with the seared pork cubes and the veggies you mentioned? Now what about the sauce? What recipe for the sauce would you recommend with the seasoned pork? Also, maybe served over white rice?

I probably would not even go to the trouble of searing it. I'm not understanding the purpose. It is already seasoned and cooked.
That being said if you must sear it then why not slice it in slabs to sear. After which you can cube it. Easier, no?

For your sauce, if you can't find a packet to make it with...
Melt butter, soften some chopped onion, add flour (=quantity to the butter), cook the roux approx 1 min. stirring (to rid the flour taste), add 1 cup of broth (or enough to give you the thickness you'd like) any flavour. A vegie or chicken stock would be most neutral but even a beef stock could work in a pinch. Taste and adjust for salt. Optional, add a tablespoon of cream or milk, would certainly give it that 'gravy' look.

I probably would not even go to the trouble of searing it. I'm not understanding the purpose. It is already seasoned and cooked.
That being said if you must sear it then why not slice it in slabs to sear. After which you can cube it. Easier, no?
Thanx for the reply!
I was just thinking about the searing to give the meat a crunchy exterior while it was still moist inside.
that was the only reason.
As far as searing goes, Could I probably do that in the Air Fryer?
Like I said before, I love to cook and do it a lot, but I am still learning.
I do family lunches every Sunday when we have our kids over since they moved out.
I love learning new tips and tricks to make our meals more enjoyable.
I also bake a lot and make all of our bread and rolls to go with lunch.
I appreciate your help!

I don't have an Air Fryer - can't help you there!

You could also just do the gravy - if you are doing rice, no need for the potatoes. You could also do corn and peas on the side, still do the carrots. You're all set!
Fresh dinner rolls... yummmm

Fresh dinner rolls... yummmm
Yes, that is a funny story.
Please bear with me, this is a little long.
I purchased a Kitchenaid stand mixer about 8 years ago that was on sale. it sat in a bedroom closet for about 2 years. While cleaning up the house one day, my wife found it and said, "Since you haven't used it in 2 years we should sell it." I brought it downstairs and put it on the counter. I started looking up recipes online for bread and started to experiment. i started with 1lb bag of flour, then went to 2lb, then to 5lb. Now I shop at Gordons, which if anyone does not know, is a restaurant supply store that sells to individuals. Now I buy 25lb bags at least 2 a month of AP and Bread flour and I am starting to have my eye on 50lb bags! We have not bought any store-bought bread products in almost 5 years! We have also stopped ordering pizza online because I make individual-baked 8x8 pizza doughs that online places can't compare to! I always have at least 8 in the freezer at all times. All we do Is get toppings!
Another "no need to buy moment", we used to go to Olive Garden to celebrate special occasions.
Now, when we have a special occasion, and someone wants something they get at Olive Garden, I make it myself and it turns out so much better! Even the breadsticks are homemade!
That is why I love finding restaurant food that people like, add my spin on it, and make it so much better!
If you can, learn how to make it yourself and then add your own special touch! You won't be disappointed!

LOL, sounds great! Good for you.
Some people have the bug from an early age. Others get it slowly and still others suddenly have a light bulb turn on.

I don't like to try a recipe for something I've never had. Mainly because if you don't know what it's supposed to taste like how do you know if you got it right.
Not saying you can't give your own twist on it, just that if you've never had a stew before in your life, how are you supposed to guess what the taste and texture is. I'm not one of those people that can look at ingredients and say Wow- those should go really great together, I'm going to make that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom