Mystery Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first one looks like a steam juicer, like @Aunt Bea suggested.
Here is a picture of one on ebay.
The fruit goes in the top basket, water boils in the bottom section. The juice collects in the middle basket and drains through the rubber tubing into a pan or container.
Hello blissful,
Very many thanks for your extremely helpful explanation and the link to the juicer on eBay which is very instructive (even if I knew what it was, I'm not sure that I would know how the steamer works without some help!).

I remember reading up on it when I first saw them. To my way of thinking not quite the same as a juicer. I mean, yes, they are juicing the fruit but the fruit will be much more clear than from a centrifugal time of grinder/juicer. I had a juicer once and no matter what you put in the juice is cloudy. The steam extracts clear.
If I remember correctly. But I'm sure 'back in the day' it probably had more than one use.
Hi dragnlaw,
Very many thanks for your very helpful reply to blissful regarding the difference between modern juices and what now has been established is a steam juicer for fruit. I never thought this thread would lead to quite so many responses and discussion. It has been very educational & instructive!

That's true. No doubt it was used for more than just juicing.

I had a juicer once. And I think once was all I ever used it. It sat in the "appliance graveyard" for so long that I ended up just throwing it out because I knew I'd never use it again. It took loads of fruit just to make one tiny glassful. Wasn't worth it to me. One of the most useless appliances I ever owned.
Hi Linda,
Given the amount of discussion and debate on what this piece of equipment is called and it's purpose, I suspect you are right that these are not much used these days!

Cameron, think you might be surprised. Don't know if you are into home canning but if you are only slightly interested you might want to hang on to it.
On the other hand, if it truly is of no interest then I don't think you'll have any problem selling it. You are in the U.K. right? There will be someone who does a lot home cooking and canning. Specializing equipment is always desired by someone!

It seems to me that I have seen pictures of older steam juicers. Some looked a bit like an old samovar or the kind of percolator that you see at some large gatherings, with a spigot near the bottom. I can only vaguely remember seeing the pictures and I have a vague sense that they were from a couple of different European countries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom