Is anyone else noticing lower food prices at the grocery store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alaska and Hawaii both have crazy high prices on things. But it is due to how far things have to travel to get there. That's nothing new... I'm sure K-Girl could talk all about prices in Hawaii. Rural areas in Alaska are especially expensive, because they are even harder to get to with truckloads of products.

CD
There are parts of AK that you can't truck in the food, they fly it in. We were told some of the villages pay $1/lb for delivery of groceries.

It’s still a mixed bag here.

Some of the routine sale offers remind me of a fisherman reeling in a big fish.

Gradually increasing the sale price in an effort to get us used to the new higher prices.

I’ve noticed some of my favorite products are being discontinued. The latest to disappear is Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter.

I suppose it’s an effort to make room for less expensive family friendly products or products with a slightly higher profit margin.

It’s good news that inflation is cooling but unfortunately higher prices are here to stay.
The prices here have not risen or dropped. Gasoline prices are slightly lower and seem to be stable for the moment.

I'm also noticing that many products I love are no longer there. My latest challenge is McCormick's Hot Shot. I swear I will be "that person" if I see it. I use it a lot and am out, of course. Mixing red and black pepper is NOT the same.

We mostly buy nuts, seeds, legumes, grains, in bulk and the prices are up from 5 years ago but more in line with lower inflation. I buy mostly from Azure standard, amazon, and I price shop for larger amounts, freeze or store in buckets, can or dehydrate. The produce prices are up (ridiculous pepper prices) and we still try to find deals in the reduced produce section at Woodman's. The ww flour we buy is stable but I expect a price hike soon. $2.99/5 lbs. Anything processed in any way, put in a package is WAY up. I can't speak to meat, dairy, or eggs.
Blueberries were 99 cents/pint this week in reduced produce, we bought 14 pints to freeze, lost about 15 berries to mold or mush-not a bad loss. Peaches will be 99 cents a lb at P&S (kroger) and 100% whole grain pasta will be 99 cents/lb at P&S. We're using garden lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, green peppers, okra, zucchini, garlic.

Last edited:
My latest challenge is McCormick's Hot Shot. I swear I will be "that person" if I see it. I use it a lot and am out, of course. Mixing red and black pepper is NOT the same.

I have an almost full bottle you can have, although it is over 20-years old. My ex-wife bought it when we were still married. I keep forgetting to throw it away. :ROFLMAO:

CD

I get higher prices on everything right now, but those prices in that video blew me away. I was like, wow. Wow wow wow.

Like Aunt Bea said, though, the higher prices are more than likely here to stay. Even if grocery stores could get away with taking prices back down on many items, they won't.
As other's have mentioned, those prices in Alaska are mostly due to the cost of shipping the food there. We see the same thing here in Nunavut, the Northwest Territory, and probably in the Yukon or at least parts of the Yukon. I know that there are parts of Northern Quebec where all the food in the grocery stores comes by plane. This is one of the reasons that hunting and fishing are important in those parts of the country.

Last edited:
It’s still a mixed bag here.

Some of the routine sale offers remind me of a fisherman reeling in a big fish.

Gradually increasing the sale price in an effort to get us used to the new higher prices.

I’ve noticed some of my favorite products are being discontinued. The latest to disappear is Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter.

I suppose it’s an effort to make room for less expensive family friendly products or products with a slightly higher profit margin.

It’s good news that inflation is cooling but unfortunately higher prices are here to stay.
Yeah, certainly agree with you on that Aunt Bea.

I definitely have seen a pretty small, but steady drop in food prices

Gas goes up and down

Gas prices are fluctuating due to the unrest in Israel/Palestine. Iran has hinted at entering the fray, which sent oil prices up some last week. Expect to see some movement up at the pumps, unless demand goes down. Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been a major force on oil prices over the last few years, too.

Oil prices are global, and lots of things can affect them. Contrary to what a lot of people think, the US is producing record amounts of oil. More than Saudi Arabia. We produce about a million barrels per day more oil than we consume. But that doesn't change what I said before -- oil is a global commodity, and American oil companies are going to sell their oil at the current market price. They are publicly traded corporations, they have to maximize profits. **

CD

** My dad spent his whole career in the oil refining and marketing industry, so I know more than I ever wanted to know about how it works.

BTW, gas prices never got terribly high where I live. Right now, Regular gas is about $2.80/gallon. I am paying about $3.25/gallon for Premium.

CD

Gas here in Central Ohio fluctuates between around $3.39 a gallon (that's low and doesn't stay there very long, so get it while the gettin's good) to $3.59 a gallon. Dipping to $3.39 is a very temporary thing, then it goes back up to $3.59/$3.69.

I just got some gas today @$3.07.9, for regular. Might get a little lower, but I know it will go up again, before Labor day. Haven't seen it below $3 since the pandemic, other than that one brief time last summer. Fortunately, I don't have to drive much.

I just got some gas today @$3.07.9, for regular. Might get a little lower, but I know it will go up again, before Labor day. Haven't seen it below $3 since the pandemic, other than that one brief time last summer. Fortunately, I don't have to drive much.
Oh! Your post (mentioning "regular") reminded me that I forgot to say that the prices I put above are for regular gas, not middle grade or premium.

Gas pricing in Ontario fluctuates over night. I paid $1.59 a litre Tues morning - by late afternoon it is down .05$
If you're willing to go out at 9:15 pm, it would probably be about $1.45. Goes down at night, up in mornings.
This morning everything seems to be all over the place. $1.50 where I had bought my gas Tues.
Near pictonguy this morning, a high of $1.63. Nearest gas station to me now in Rigaud, Quebec is also $1.63.

Makes me cry with the fluctuation as I almost always end up paying the higher prices.

Remember I'm talking per litre - do the math.

So if you had to make do with no driving do you have options? Do you walk or bicycle? How many miles to a year round place that has food? How many miles to a farm stand?
We had the fun adventure of having our transmission rebuilt for 2 weeks on our vehicle last month. (after the sticker shock) We explored our options. We walked to two places with a backpack. Cost of the walk? Same as in the 1700's, no inflation at all.

Last edited:
So if you had to make do with no driving do you have options? Do you walk or bicycle? How many miles to a year round place that has food? How many miles to a farm stand?
We had the fun adventure of having our transmission rebuilt for 2 weeks on our vehicle last month. (after the sticker shock) We explored our options. We walked to two places with a backpack. Cost of the walk? Same as in the 1700's, no inflation at all.

Frisco has zero mass transit. Mass transit is only in the major cities, and is mostly used by poor people. It's a car town, more accurately a biga$$ truck town. People commute in giant Super-Duty 4X4 crew cab pickups.

Bicycling here is treacherous. Ride a bike at your own risk. You could become a hood ornament for one of those giant Super-Duty 4X4 crew cab pickups.

The weather is also a factor in walking or bicycling in the summer. It was 107F today.

I have a 7-Eleven a couple blocks from me, but there's no sidewalk between my neighborhood and the store.

When my car is in the shop, Audi gives me a loaner. Otherwise, it's UBER.

CD

My neighbourhood isn't great for sidewalks. But, It's only about 300 metres (less than a thousand feet) to the nearest bus stops and they go at reasonable frequency from those stops. It's about the same distance to the little strip mall with the convenience store.

I was wishing we had bikes, we may get some. We live out in the country, subdivisions among farms, there are no sidewalks at all to the farm stand. There is a section of sidewalk near the mini mart in the small town but it's mostly highway/hill and country. Lovely wild flowers along the way. It was hot but not 107 deg F. There's no mass transit out here.
We even found a spring along the side of the hill that we didn't know was there. That might be handy if the electric goes out finding it so close to home.

Back
Top Bottom