Monday Oct 14, '24 Did you enjoy dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was planning to have some kind of supper salad. Then, I went for my walk at around 17h (5PM). It was 7°C (44°) and very lightly raining. It was the kind of damp chill that crawls in under your clothes. So, I wanted something warm for supper. I fried the last chicken egg, it's the one with the broken yolk, and a duck egg. I toasted some rugbrød (heavy Danish style rye bread) and put the creton on the table to spread on the rugbrød. I made a salad of lettuce, cauliflower, a radish, some orange sweet pepper, and two kinds of olives. I dressed it with some of my batch vinaigrette. I had a glass of milk. That hit the spot.

2024-10-14 Eggs, creton, rugbrød, and a salad.jpg

I hope everyone's Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner and long weekend were full of good food, family and friends!

I had some Pork Belly with the new rub I got from a vendor outside the grocers on Sat. Bought 2 of the "Cluck & Squeal" rubs. One for ribs, the one I had tasted at their stand. Another I got is for chicken/shrimp. Will try that next.

The rub was delicious, unfortunately my Pork Belly had not been wrapped proper for the freezer. Tasted blechy, ate half, tossed the other half.
I had bought the Pork Belly for a recipe I never made, then forgotten, only to be reminded every time I rummaged thru the freezer. I never could find the recipe again. So good thing is, one less item in the freezer, knowledge how to use belly next time, and satisfaction the rub is as good as sampled.

I hope everyone's Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner and long weekend were full of good food, family and friends!

I had some Pork Belly with the new rub I got from a vendor outside the grocers on Sat. Bought 2 of the "Cluck & Squeal" rubs. One for ribs, the one I had tasted at their stand. Another I got is for chicken/shrimp. Will try that next.

The rub was delicious, unfortunately my Pork Belly had not been wrapped proper for the freezer. Tasted blechy, ate half, tossed the other half.
I had bought the Pork Belly for a recipe I never made, then forgotten, only to be reminded every time I rummaged thru the freezer. I never could find the recipe again. So good thing is, one less item in the freezer, knowledge how to use belly next time, and satisfaction the rub is as good as sampled.

Happy Thanksgiving... eh? (y)

Sounds like you need to ask Santa for a Foodsaver vacuum sealer for Christmas. ;)

LOL, thanks casey. I did have one but sold it when I moved. My DIL has one that I can use. But... that being said, I am not going to haul it out, set it up, try to remember how it works, getting it wrong, ruining a few bags, and finally getting it right. ...for a single pkg of meat.
I used my own for when I bought large pieces and broke them down into various cuts. It didn't sit on the counter where you could just reach over and poof! done.
I actually have a sealer I purchased waaay before those fancy ones came out. At one time the little vacuum "sort of" sucked the air out (it got a hole in the tube) and then sealed it but not very well. I still use it to this day. Must be almost 40 years old. Mainly for things like Chip bags, bread divided for the freezer, little things where air is not an issue.

LOL, thanks casey. I did have one but sold it when I moved. My DIL has one that I can use. But... that being said, I am not going to haul it out, set it up, try to remember how it works, getting it wrong, ruining a few bags, and finally getting it right. ...for a single pkg of meat.
I used my own for when I bought large pieces and broke them down into various cuts. It didn't sit on the counter where you could just reach over and poof! done.
I actually have a sealer I purchased waaay before those fancy ones came out. At one time the little vacuum "sort of" sucked the air out (it got a hole in the tube) and then sealed it but not very well. I still use it to this day. Must be almost 40 years old. Mainly for things like Chip bags, bread divided for the freezer, little things where air is not an issue.
If you wrap in plastic wrap tightly, then plastic bag, getting as much air out as possible, it's nearly as good as vacusealing.

I normally do something like that but in this particular case I hadn't planned on leaving it in there that long. Was going to make the dish the following week. But as per usual - out of sight, out of mind, during which time the recipe disappeared. Always at the back of my head to do something about it... but I think :unsure: there is an air leak back there and it slowly disappeared. :sneaky: :whistling

I normally do something like that but in this particular case I hadn't planned on leaving it in there that long. Was going to make the dish the following week. But as per usual - out of sight, out of mind, during which time the recipe disappeared. Always at the back of my head to do something about it... but I think :unsure: there is an air leak backre and it slowly disappeared. :sneaky: :whistling
I have sometimes wondered what recipe I had bought some food item for. The disappearing new recipe is less of a problem now that I came up with a solution that even works most of the time. The new recipe goes into CMT (Copy Me That). After the new recipe has been imported by CMT, I use the CMT shopping list feature. Then, when I come across the food item, I can check the shopping list in CMT to find the item. The link to the recipe will be in that shopping list next to the item.

Never used the shopping list in CMT as I have a different one on my phone - but good idea! I will certainly try that. Thanks taxy!
I'm slowly trying to transfer some of my recipes I have in 'Word' file but it is slow and tedious work.

Never used the shopping list in CMT as I have a different one on my phone - but good idea! I will certainly try that. Thanks taxy!
I'm slowly trying to transfer some of my recipes I have in 'Word' file but it is slow and tedious work.
I use Our Groceries for shopping. I love that it syncs between devices and I can enter stuff on my computer and just have it with me automagically. So, it took me a while to explore the shopping list function in CMT. I don't use that one for actual shopping, unless it is to copy stuff into Our Groceries.

For anyone who doesn't know about Our Groceries, it's an app for computer and mobile devices. It was recommended by someone here and a number of us gave it a try. It's one of those apps with both a free and a paid version. I highly recommend it. It's one of those apps that I like enough to get the paid version, which was a bargain, considering how much I use it. When I have an app that I really like and the paid version is inexpensive, I often get it just to encourage the developer. I figure the more people who support them, the more likely they will keep supporting the app.

good to know. Like you I use CMT multiple times during the day - the full version is certainly not expensive - was just wondering if the extras were being used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom