Cooking from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My brother LOVED black pudding. I know my mum and dad used to have it but to the best of my knowledge, I never did, nor do I think I even knew what it was. While my bro was living with me he got some, asked if I'd like some but I asked first just exactly what it was... and gagged.
TTT I've never tasted it, so although I appreciate the whole animal being used, not sure I could handle it.
Fortunately for me, I was introduced to it as a child and didnt ask what it was made of! I am pretty sure I wouldnt have gone near it if I had known! I have seen some being made on TV since then as well and nearly gagged just watching that!! LOL Luckily, the taste and texture are great when it is cooked.

Once saw an episode of Gennaro and Carluccio, in Italy and in a village where they butchered a pig. They winced at the butchering but zipped right in to collect the blood.
Can't remember what they mixed in it, right then and there and a bunch of little kids standing around were more happy to partake! LOL

and no taxy... think not!

Last edited:
The one I watched was in Scotland. A traditional butcher had an award-winning recipe (it's all about the spices don't you know ;) ) Absolutely disgusting to watch of course! Can't think how desperate the people must have been to invent that recipe - presumably exceptionally poor! Of course, if you can get past that it really is very tasty when cooked! (But I don't think you will be convinced Dragn.) :ROFLMAO:

This pate recipe from Jacques Pepin uses pork liver that has been liquified in the blender! 🤢

I’ve made it a couple of times and it is wonderful once you get past the preparation.

making a terrine of some sort has always been on my bucket list... but I think I'll stick to the pate from the stores.

But tell me Aunt Bea, were the rest of the ingredients added to the blender and zapped as well? Or was the liver removed to a bowl and the rest added in then.

Katy, I think "back in the day" it was called 'Waste not, Want not.'

making a terrine of some sort has always been on my bucket list... but I think I'll stick to the pate from the stores.

But tell me Aunt Bea, were the rest of the ingredients added to the blender and zapped as well? Or was the liver removed to a bowl and the rest added in then.

Katy, I think "back in the day" it was called 'Waste not, Want not.'
Only the liver was zapped and then mixed into the other ingredients to form a meatloaf.

thanks, will keep it in mind as I've actually noted J Pepin's recipe. Actually seems easier than a lot of other terrines I've looked at.

This pate recipe from Jacques Pepin uses pork liver that has been liquified in the blender! 🤢

I’ve made it a couple of times and it is wonderful once you get past the preparation.
I have made Danish leverpostej, which is a wonderful and popular version of pâté. The prep was very messy and kinda gross, but it was worth the effort. The Danish version just has you put the liver, the fat, and the onions through a meat grinder several times - as many times as you like, until it's as coarsely or finely ground as you prefer. For most people that is one to three times.

I had a look at Jacques Pépins recipe and to me, it seems more like a pork meatloaf with liver than a pâté. There is four times as much ground pork as pork liver!

I have made Danish leverpostej, which is a wonderful and popular version of pâté. The prep was very messy and kinda gross, but it was worth the effort. The Danish version just has you put the liver, the fat, and the onions through a meat grinder several times - as many times as you like, until it's as coarsely or finely ground as you prefer. For most people that is one to three times.

I had a look at Jacques Pépins recipe and to me, it seems more like a pork meatloaf with liver than a pâté. There is four times as much ground pork as pork liver!
I’m ok with calling it cold meatloaf.

1717747711320.jpeg

I looked up a recipe for Danish pâté and there was a little blurb about it. The blurb mentioned that at first, the pâté was for the wealthy. It wasn't until the invention of the meat grinder in the mid 1800s that the price of pâté started to come down so that ordinary people could afford it. At that point, its popularity really took off. I guess mincing all that liver by hand must have been quite labour intensive, especially for a smooth pâté.

Well, there are all sorts of things that are very close no matter where they originated.
English Potted meats (which could be ground or shredded),
French pates, rillettes, terrines,
Quebecois cretons,
New England Gortons

All sort of known as forcemeats in one way or another. Here an interesting read differences in pates and others. Just in case one wants to drop a little food snobbery comments at the next party! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom