What's for dinner, Wednesday, June 26, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Meal mostly from freezer. Stuffed chicken parm, with spinach cheese tortellini, with our Marsala or Madeira garlic onion sauce that I made fresh.

20240626_183232.jpg

I made a half recipe of this a couple of weeks ago and some big fat grooved tubular pasta I got that was Albertson's brand came apart and fell into small strips. Never had that happen before. So I still had the fixins and made some with shells today because that's what I had. Shells is good with it although I almost always use either penne or ziti. Shells are harder to drain because they're like little cups so normally I wouldn't for this but we'll use them for other but it turned out okay.

It's my favorite mac and cheese. In the '80s I heard a partial recipe on the radio and made it just like that. Years later I got a copy of the recipe and it had a couple more things in it but I made it that way and didn't like it as well. So this is my version.

It has cream and sour cream and white pepper, which should not be substituted, Lawry's seasoned salt, and Tabasco, which also should not be substituted. There's just something perfect about that blend. It has a lot of mild cheddar in it and if I've got it, I use just a small slice of something like gruyere or swiss because it seems to help stabilize it from breaking with all the dairy. And you don't want to grease the dish with butter either.
And it needs to be a heavy covered casserole and not a baking dish covered with foil to come out right. I have given this recipe to a handful of people and every time they will substitute something or use the wrong pan and then it magically doesn't come out as good as mine. 🤔.

Attachments

• IMG_20240626_123250602.jpg
    IMG_20240626_123250602.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240626_123135439.jpg
    IMG_20240626_123135439.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 12
To go with the leftovers I was eating today I made another batch of guacamole, this time, the first batch with tomatoes of the season! Had to cut up a bunch of cherry tomatoes, and the saladette type, like Juliet and Bronze Torch Hybrid. The Bronze Torch I sampled for the first time - cut two slices from one of the three that looked ripe, and it was delicious, much like that Green Tiger I compared it to. But the slices had some red in them, sort of like the Lucky Tiger I grew once, but not quite the same. 3 of those, 2 Juliets, and a bunch of others, cut into small pieces. These, some chives, some cilantro, and some Hanoi Markets I had frozen, were all added to the mashed avocados.
The first Bronze Torch Hybrid cut open. looks more like a Lucky Tiger now, with the red tint inside. Tastes much like the Green Tiger. I ate the two slices, the rest of the 3 fruits went in the guac. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of the ingredients for the guacamole, on top of the avocado, before mixing in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished guacamole, one of 3 dishes of it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I was planning on making Chef John's Spanish Chorizo Stuffed Chicken Breast, but I was dithering about what to make as sides. I got hungry, so I made Jacques Pépin's Cucumber and tomato gazpacho.
and had a bowl and a half of that. Then, I lost all inspiration for cooking and had a pepperoni, cheddar and lettuce sandwich on whole wheat toast.

Very very extremely simple! Sprinkle generously with seasoning salt - both sides - bake approx. 1.5 hours at 325 F. Meat should have pulled up away from bones on the ends a bit.
Eat - Enjoy.
these were extremely meaty and didn't pull from the bone very much but they were perfectly done and excellent.

I used Mtl Steak Spice on one and on the other I decided to try Old Bay. Not particularly good with the Old Bay. Could use in a pinch but Steak Spice is much tastier.

l used to always use Lawry's Seasoning Salt (like my mom did) but when I couldn't find it, switched. Am going to look for it again as I understand it's back (or still around, whichever).

And I do not pull the membrane from the undercurve of the bones - that is a very satisfying part of chew, tearing it off each rib. It is crispy and well seasoned.
Edit:- Bake for approx 1 hour meat side up, and last half hour or so flip so the underside gets crispy. Thais time due to the thickness of the meat I did 1 hour, flip 20 min., flip another 20 min.
I have done them without flipping at all and couldn't really tell you if there was much of a difference. As long as the meat is pulling away from the ends of the bone.

Last edited:
Meat should have pulled up away from bones on the ends a bit.
Eat - Enjoy.

Good point. That, and they should bend easily.

People often praise "fall off the bones" ribs, but those are overcooked, IMHO. Perfect ribs pull off the bones when you bite them, leaving a clean bone, but they still have some bite to them.

I do remove the membrane. Once you get the hang of it, you can do it in a matter of seconds. It doesn't make a huge difference, but the membrane is a bit chewy for my tastes, but I won't turn down good ribs with the membrane still on them.

CD

Last edited:
It was scorching hot yesterday, but I fired up the pellet smoker. It tends to itself, so I didn't have to go outside for more than a minute or two at a time. I did NOT want to use my oven. That would just fight with the AC system that was trying to cope with triple-digit heat outside.

I tossed some boudin on the smoker. I picked the boudin up in Port Arthur when was down there a couple of months ago. It was made in the store at Bruce's Market Basket (no connection to Market Basket stores in the NE).

I love me some boudin, and smoked is my favorite way to cook it.

CD

To go with the leftovers I was eating today I made another batch of guacamole, this time, the first batch with tomatoes of the season! Had to cut up a bunch of cherry tomatoes, and the saladette type, like Juliet and Bronze Torch Hybrid. The Bronze Torch I sampled for the first time - cut two slices from one of the three that looked ripe, and it was delicious, much like that Green Tiger I compared it to. But the slices had some red in them, sort of like the Lucky Tiger I grew once, but not quite the same. 3 of those, 2 Juliets, and a bunch of others, cut into small pieces. These, some chives, some cilantro, and some Hanoi Markets I had frozen, were all added to the mashed avocados.
The first Bronze Torch Hybrid cut open. looks more like a Lucky Tiger now, with the red tint inside. Tastes much like the Green Tiger. I ate the two slices, the rest of the 3 fruits went in the guac. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of the ingredients for the guacamole, on top of the avocado, before mixing in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished guacamole, one of 3 dishes of it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Those tomatoes look awesome! I love guacamole and rarely go a week without it.

Good point. That, and they should bend easily.

People often praise "fall off the bones" ribs, but those are overcooked, IMHO. Perfect ribs pull off the bones when you bite them, leaving a clean bone, but they still have some bite to them.

I do remove the membrane. Once you get the hang of it, you can do it in a matter of seconds. It doesn't make a huge difference, but the membrane is a bit chewy for my tastes, but I won't turn down good ribs with the membrane still on them.

CD
There is a sweet spot right before it starts falling off the ribs! Let it go too much longer than falling off the bone and it gets mushy.

Yes, there is a point when they could dry out. casey, I assume you mean by "bend" you are not talking about the bones (which I did think at first, duh) but the meat still pliable should you 'fold' the rack of meat. Yes, correct - :LOL:
Texmex, I've never used barbeque sauce on my ribs so they've never gone mushy on me, which is the only way I can see them going like that. Nor have I ever boiled or pressure cooked like many do.... including a big chain restaurant (Baton Rouge) I went to that was known for its ribs. So disappointed - the meat tasted boiled and had to also scrape off at least a cup of sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom