How do YOU clean your Blackstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I'm gonna cave and get myself a little 17 inch Blackstone so it's somewhat portable. How do I clean it once I get one? Do I treat it like all my cast iron and scour it with steel wool/green scrunge/a bomb every time to clean it then dry it to prevent rust? Or will steel wool cause it to scratch or chip? The website says not to use anything "abrasive" (no brillo, steel wool, etc.) but says you can scrape the food off with metal spatulas. But it also says you can't scrape the surface with a metal OR silicon grill brush). Isn't a metal spatula abrasive?

Last edited:
LOL, I hear your confusion. I think you treat various 'blacktops' in various ways. Is yours a smooth (like stainless steel/cast iron? or a sort of a bit rough and pebbly type of cast iron?

My DIL - as soon as she finishes cooking she squirts water on and scrapes away, does it again, then oils (at least I think so). All this is done while it is still warm/hot, before she even sits down to the table. Her top is smooth. I don't know what you would do with a pebbly one - but I think caseydog has that type.

I don't think the one I'm going to buy is pebbly, but I might be wrong. I'm gonna pick this up early next week I'm SO EXCITED.
1000001526.png

Congratulations! You'll have a lot of fun with it. I usually start off just following the instruction manual for stuff like this. You can refine it as you learn.

I don't think the one I'm going to buy is pebbly, but I might be wrong. I'm gonna pick this up early next week I'm SO EXCITED.View attachment 69784

I have a two burner. Yes, it will be rough cast iron, not smooth carbon steel. You need to season the griddle according to the Blackstone instructions, and use the Blackstone seasoning grease -- it works best.

I use a grill version of a Sctchbrite pad, with a plastic holder. I just use cooking oil as a lubricant for the cleaning pad. NO soap -- you'll strip the seasoning. I clean it on low heat -- around 300 or less.

Then let it sit on low heat to continue the seasoning process.

EDIT: Here is a picture of something similar to what I use...

1719704499568.png

CD

Last edited:
I'm gonna cave and get myself a little 17 inch Blackstone so it's somewhat portable. How do I clean it once I get one? Do I treat it like all my cast iron and scour it with steel wool/green scrunge/a bomb every time to clean it then dry it to prevent rust? Or will steel wool cause it to scratch or chip? The website says not to use anything "abrasive" (no brillo, steel wool, etc.) but says you can scrape the food off with metal spatulas. But it also says you can't scrape the surface with a metal OR silicon grill brush). Isn't a metal spatula abrasive?
Before using the grill for the first time, you gotta preheat it and rub it down with oil a few times to create a protective coating, like on cast iron skillets. And after cooking, use a metal spatula to scrape off any leftover food and grease. That's the whole maintenance routine!

I have a two burner. Yes, it will be rough cast iron, not smooth carbon steel. You need to season the griddle according to the Blackstone instructions, and use the Blackstone seasoning grease -- it works best.

I use a grill version of a Sctchbrite pad, with a plastic holder. I just use cooking oil as a lubricant for the cleaning pad. NO soap -- you'll strip the seasoning. I clean it on low heat -- around 300 or less.

Then let it sit on low heat to continue the seasoning process.

EDIT: Here is a picture of something similar to what I use...

View attachment 69785

CD
Is the powder coated one nonstick? Or does anyone know? I know the E series Blackstone (electric one) is nonstick, and I don't really like or want to use nonstick, so I wanna make sure I can use metal spatulas on the one I buy.

Is the powder coated one nonstick? Or does anyone know? I know the E series Blackstone (electric one) is nonstick, and I don't really like or want to use nonstick, so I wanna make sure I can use metal spatulas on the one I buy.

I didn't even know Blackstone made powder-coated steel griddles. Mine, and all the one's I've seen in stores, are bare cast-iron. I don't honestly know how to clean or treat that surface. I assume it will come with instructions.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom