How about foods you've tried once or twice that you'll never eat again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too like Wasabi. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones who was warned that it can sometimes be very hot and other times not. So I've not been taken by surprise - yet.
Mine was accidental. I was one of those fools who thought it was guacamole. I didn't even know what wasabi was at the time. I don't think I ate anything else for 2 days after that.

Well, it might very well have happened to me too Linda. I was just lucky in the first time I had it my son was with me and warned me.
I would never have tried it for guacamole but only 'cause I don't like it.

I can't remember what it was called but it was a candy from a Scandanavian country. It was clear and looked like a sour ball or clear candy. When I put it in my mouth it was salty. eeww
I have had Danish salty licorice, but those are black. I haven't come across any Scandinavian candy that was salty and wasn't black

Mine was accidental. I was one of those fools who thought it was guacamole. I didn't even know what wasabi was at the time. I don't think I ate anything else for 2 days after that.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of restaurant were you at that you expected guacamole but got wasabi?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of restaurant were you at that you expected guacamole but got wasabi?
I don't want to say because it's very embarrassing. But okay, I'll make an ass of myself now... I was getting food from a tempura bar in a Japanese restaurant.

Yeah, I know. Extremely pathetic. But, like I said previously, I didn't even know wasabi even existed. So I figured oh, cool, they've got some mashed avocado here that I can pair with my tempura.

:rolleyes:

Last time I was in a "real" Japanese Restaurant was back in the late 60's. We sat at tables that were geared to be able to kneel at but for Westerners there was a pit for our legs - so almost like kneeling - but not. LOL.
I don't remember what it was but the waitresses were all dressed in traditional kimonos. The saki was served warmed and those tiny cups went down really smooth - one did not notice the effects until you got up... woof! All seating arrangements were (not totally) divided with paper sliding panels. One really felt like they were in Japan. It was amazing I just wish I remembered what we had.
It was certainly not a steak house, nor like BeniHana's. Didn't have a bar, it was very hush, hush and private - we may have gotten a little noisy towards the end but I don't think we were the only table to do so. :ROFLMAO: Saki cold is wicked tasting but warmed... hmmm.

Last time I was in a "real" Japanese Restaurant was back in the late 60's. We sat at tables that were geared to be able to kneel at but for Westerners there was a pit for our legs - so almost like kneeling - but not. LOL.
I don't remember what it was but the waitresses were all dressed in traditional kimonos. The saki was served warmed and those tiny cups went down really smooth - one did not notice the effects until you got up... woof! All seating arrangements were (not totally) divided with paper sliding panels. One really felt like they were in Japan. It was amazing I just wish I remembered what we had.
It was certainly not a steak house, nor like BeniHana's. Didn't have a bar, it was very hush, hush and private - we may have gotten a little noisy towards the end but I don't think we were the only table to do so. :ROFLMAO: Saki cold is wicked tasting but warmed... hmmm.
Soju, Korean version of Saki, is the same way, just for future reference.

That sounds like it was a nice time. I've never had Saki. Not that I can remember, anyway. :LOL:

Saki cold is wicked tasting but warmed... hmmm.
There are actually different types of saki. Some are meant to be served chilled, and others warmed. I've only had warmed saki, but would love to spend some time with a saki expert and try other varieties.

CD

I did not know that casey.
into the category of learn something knew every day. Thanks!

I saw it on a foodie show, but I don't remember what show. I did find this short video that gives a very brief overview. The show I watched was way more detailed, and involved the host and an expert tasting various sakes.

CD

Was that resto in Montreal? I went to a place like that in the mid 1970s. It was on Mackay or Crescent or one of those streets, between Sherbrooke and de Maisonneuve if I remember right. There was a sashimi appetizer. I found it very bland.

No, not 'downtown'. Over off Decarie, somewhere around where Ruby Foo's is now. Or maybe closer to the SPCA. I know we had to take Mountain Sights, ilt was a little quiet street. Could actually see Decarie between buildings? That's all I remember, it was 50+ years ago in another life.

No, not 'downtown'. Over off Decarie, somewhere around where Ruby Foo's is now. Or maybe closer to the SPCA. I know we had to take Mountain Sights, ilt was a little quiet street. Could actually see Decarie between buildings? That's all I remember, it was 50+ years ago in another life.
I know where Mountain Sights is. I guess it was a different place than I went. It just sounded so similar, that I thought it had to be the same place.

Back
Top Bottom