Dream Melons...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I was in HEB today, and someone in the Produce department was giving out samples of Dream Melon. There are apparently multiple versions. The sample I had tasted like a cross between a cantaloupe and a watermelon.

I had never heard of it, but it was good. Has anyone else eaten Dream Melon?

1719552022282.png

CD

The local Wegman’s mentioned them in their summer magazine but I haven’t seen them in the stores yet.

I’m looking forward to trying them when they arrive.

My biggest frustration is in knowing when cantaloupe or honeydew type melons are ripe ‘n’ ready to eat.

I usually leave them on the kitchen counter until I can smell them and a cloud of fruit flies take off every time I walk past. 😉🤭😂

This past 2 weeks we've been scarfing down cantaloupe and watermelons, every day. They have been SO good.
@caseydog we haven't seen the special ones here. I bet they are great. Give it a go.

The local Wegman’s mentioned them in their summer magazine but I haven’t seen them in the stores yet.

I’m looking forward to trying them when they arrive.

My biggest frustration is in knowing when cantaloupe or honeydew type melons are ripe ‘n’ ready to eat.

I usually leave them on the kitchen counter until I can smell them and a cloud of fruit flies take off every time I walk past. 😉🤭😂

When I did a search, the only store that came up was HEB. That may be HEB's name for these melons, or that they are the first stores to get them.

A produce guy taught me how to pick the most ripe ones. The skin between the "netting" texture should be mostly yellowish in color. Green indicates they are not as ripe, and consequently not as sweet.

If you have a good sense of smell, they will smell sweet. The same goes for strawberries. For ripe pineapples, sniff the bottom of the fruit. That should have a distinct sweet smell.

Smelling these, and I'm sure other fruits, can tell a lot about ripeness.

CD

Oh my goodness. No, I have never seen them nor heard of them. But would love to have one. Watermelon and cantaloupe are favorites of mine, so this sounds like it would be the best of both worlds.

Next time I go to HEB, I'll pick one up, take some pictures and do a more thorough taste test.

Meanwhile, you all may want to look for them under a different name. I'm thinking Dream Melon is a name HEB came up with.

CD

Next time I go to HEB, I'll pick one up, take some pictures and do a more thorough taste test.

Meanwhile, you all may want to look for them under a different name. I'm thinking Dream Melon is a name HEB came up with.

CD
I looked them up and can only find that they're sold at HEB, which we do not have here. But it appears there are a few different varieties of Dream Melons, such as Lemon Pop, Sunny Craze and Sugar Rush, which people claim are all amazing.

So far I haven't been able to find them under any other name. I believe they're specific to HEB only.

When I did a search, the only store that came up was HEB. That may be HEB's name for these melons, or that they are the first stores to get them.

A produce guy taught me how to pick the most ripe ones. The skin between the "netting" texture should be mostly yellowish in color. Green indicates they are not as ripe, and consequently not as sweet.

If you have a good sense of smell, they will smell sweet. The same goes for strawberries. For ripe pineapples, sniff the bottom of the fruit. That should have a distinct sweet smell.

Smelling these, and I'm sure other fruits, can tell a lot about ripeness.

CD

Don't get too carried away with smelling them. I've seen little kids picking their noses and touching the produce and also coughing all over the fruits and vegetables.

Back
Top Bottom