Coffee Pet Peeve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I LOVE coffee myself. Many years ago I always drank it black, but in the last couple of years have come to enjoy it with a splash of full fat cream and, very occasionally, just a little sugar free sweetener. Something about real cream just takes coffee to a whole different level.

Strangely enough, you get weird looks in restaurants and coffee shops when you ask for real cream. They either try to give you milk, half and half, or non-dairy creamer. Years ago, cream was the norm. Now it's a rarity. :ermm:

Well, I LOVE coffee myself. Many years ago I always drank it black, but in the last couple of years have come to enjoy it with a splash of full fat cream and, very occasionally, just a little sugar free sweetener. Something about real cream just takes coffee to a whole different level.

Strangely enough, you get weird looks in restaurants and coffee shops when you ask for real cream. They either try to give you milk, half and half, or non-dairy creamer. Years ago, cream was the norm. Now it's a rarity. :ermm:

Like myself, Spike makes his own whipped cream. He has the same problem as I do. Making sure there isn't a sip or two missing from the container. :angel:

You got that right! We've noticed when we go to Aruba, you get what looks and acts like skim milk no matter what you ask for. We use light cream at home.

I remember up until several years ago, McDonald's, for instance, used to automatically give you a small bag full of sugar packets and creamers without even asking for every cup of coffee at their drive through.
All the fast food chains wised up and now ask you how many cream and sugar you want. Every time I drive up to the window most clerks seem perplexed when I tell them I want zero cream and zero sugar with my coffee, like I'm some kind of a rare breed......:LOL:

Well, I love my morning Joe! Cream only, no sugar, two cups. We recently gifted each other with these very beautiful and very special Polish Pottery mugs. Mine is on the left. Somehow they seem to make the morning coffee special.

img_1471980_0_8c0ed6ba9b45184be2e8b9686c0ef291.jpg

I like coffee and usually have a cup first thing in the morning, maybe 2 cups at most - then I'm done. I like a little half and half in mine, no sugar. Sometimes I'll buy a flavored coffee creamer, usually hazelnut or almond.

As mentioned above, if I'm out to breakfast I also cover the cup with my hand when I see the server coming around with the coffee pot. :)

edited - just saw your cups, Kay, they're beautiful! I agree that special mugs make that first cuppa more enjoyable. :)

Last edited:
Well, I love my morning Joe! Cream only, no sugar, two cups. We recently gifted each other with these very beautiful and very special Polish Pottery mugs. Mine is on the left. Somehow they seem to make the morning coffee special.

img_1471988_0_8c0ed6ba9b45184be2e8b9686c0ef291.jpg

Those are gorgeous. I guess when DH retires we can have morning coffee together. Sorry, sweetheart, but I'm not getting up at 5 a.m. when I don't have to. And he wouldn't want me to ;) :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, Cuban coffee is indeed very good. Unfortunately they've managed to ruin that too. I've going to Miami for 25 years, sometimes twice a year. And progressively quality of Cuban coffee has gone down. Still it's better than star box

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Larry, It sounds to me you have more of a service pet peeve then a coffee pet peeve.

The server is only doing what they are instructed to do.
That is making sure the customer has all the coffee they want at no additional cost.
If you had added something like sugar or lemon to your water would you feel the same if they wanted to top off your water?
As many have pointed out. All you need to do is express your feelings to the server that your cup/glass is full enough and problem solved.

And since the thread drifted towards how folks like and think about java I'll spew my idiotic opinions. ;)

I used to drink a pot of coffee in the morning before heading off to work.
IMHO black is the only way to go.
You'll never be disappointed if you don't have it and miss C&S if you drink it black.

Once in a Blue Moon as a treat a scoop of Ice Cream is a great desert java treat.
Different flavors of Ice Cream make it interesting.

I've roasted my own beans and used to always buy whole beans and ground my own.

Was never satisfied with most java ordered out but some places did serve what I liked.

Now I look at it as it's all about the roast and grind you personally like. Then it should be brewed to the strength you personally like.
A lot of dislike of coffee is due to the strength of the brew as opposed to the flavor of the bean or brewing method.
And don't forget the additives. Put in it what you like. I'm not much of a Starbucks supporter but they would be no where if it wasn't for the additives.

That's what I learned from my java past.

Now I only make coffee on the weekends.

Don't ask me why.

And I don't buy whole beans anymore or search for that bean or roast I must have.

Now a days I buy the pre ground java that's on sale and brew it to the strength I like at the temp I like to brew it at.

Some say that the best cup of Joe is the one you have with folks enjoy being around.

I'll have to agree with that statement even though I'm one of those people that no one wants to be around and I'm happy not being around others. :chef:

img_1472107_0_8c0ed6ba9b45184be2e8b9686c0ef291.jpg

Those are beautiful! Most of my mugs are from my travels. I try to find really high quality mugs, it's a nice reminder of where I was when I bought them.

Larry, It sounds to me you have more of a service pet peeve then a coffee pet peeve.

That is making sure the customer has all the coffee they want at no additional cost.
If you had added something like sugar or lemon to your water would you feel the same if they wanted to top off your water?
As many have pointed out. All you need to do is express your feelings to the server that your cup/glass is full enough and problem solved.

To me , personally, I don't care as I never drink coffee. But it seems to be a very personal experience and precise and individual liking as to the balance of sugar/ creamer to the cup. Unless the cup is completely empty, any additional amount is going to mess up the desired balance of the individual's liking.

If it is the individual server taking it upon themselves to fill up a cup cause its not full, then common sense should kick in to ask first. If it s the restaurant directing their staff to do this, then they should also train them to ask first.

Sure, I think the intentions are good, but its not a simple glass of water.

My wife didn't see it coming, so she was unable to stop the waitress from filling up the cup.

To her, it wasn't a big deal, she just would prefer that the cup was empty first.

Of course she didn't see it coming. She was too busy eating all that French toast!

Sure, I think the intentions are good, but its not a simple glass of water.

Yes it's as simple as a glass of water.

Like the war on drugs "just say no".

A sneak attack is another story but then again it's a service problem and not a java problem.

Asking first is a given in polite society and I can't envision how a server could attack my plate/cup without my consent?

But I don't eat out often so I know nothing about service these days. :(

I drink mine black, too ( “Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.”) but I do like double cream (=heavy cream, I think) poured over a spoon so it floats on the top of the coffee and you drink the coffee through it. Yum! Even better if a slug of Tia Maria liqueur is stirred into the black coffee before the cream is floated on top.

I didn't like coffee until I grew up and I discovered that you could drink it without milk!

NEVER instant coffee, though

Last edited:
"The server is only doing what they are instructed to do."
No, Zagut, I can't agree with you. Irrespective of whether coffee is free or not the waiter should ask the customer if s/he would like more coffee rather than foisting it on him/her regardless.

It's a matter of good manners. I waited tables, among other things, when I was a student and would never have dreamed of doing anything so rude and pushy.

Off topic, but still coffee talk.
I ran out of paper filters at work so I've been making cowboy coffee, directly in my insulated mug. The grounds will all sink to the bottom of the mug after a couple of minutes. Same great taste, easy clean up.

"The server is only doing what they are instructed to do."
No, Zagut, I can't agree with you. Irrespective of whether coffee is free or not the waiter should ask the customer if s/he would like more coffee rather than foisting it on him/her regardless.

It's a matter of good manners. I waited tables, among other things, when I was a student and would never have dreamed of doing anything so rude and pushy.

Mad Cook I agree that it's a matter of manners and that asking is the correct approach.

But way, way back in the stone age when I was employed at a greasy spoon I was actually instructed to fill the cup and use it as a way to get the customer talking.

A hand over the cup or a no thanks stopped me and I was never one for a sneak attack on there java cup.

But it did open a dialog and what the customer desired was then related and then fulfilled.

Maybe things have changed since I was young and stupid.
I'm sure they have. ;)
But now that I'm old and stupid I can't help but believe communication between the consumer and service provider have changed much.

And with my personality it's a good thing I got out of the food service industry. :D

Putting my hand over the cup is my only recourse, I usually have a mouth full of food when they approach. Good manners dictate I don't talk with food in my mouth...

Back
Top Bottom