Coffee Pet Peeve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Let me start by saying I hate coffee.
I try it once or twice a year , when I see my wife enjoying it so much.
I feel like Im missing out on something.
But, every time I try it, I just think it taste like crap.

But what annoys me, is when I see my wife carefully adding here sweetener and cream ( or milk) to the desired amount, when we are out to eat.

And then, the waiter ( or waitress) comes over and fills up the half filled cup to the top, obviously screwing up the sweet/ cream ratio of the drink.

It annoys me so much, and its not even my place to be annoyed.

Maybe Im just easily irritable :LOL: .

Does this bother all you other coffee drinkers out there ??

Bothers me, I also use cream and have it down to a science. When I see them walking around with a pot I cover my cup with my hand.

My coffee pet peeve is that there isn't any Bushmill's in the house!:ohmy:

Larry, are you a super taster? Because to people who are, sweets taste too sweet, and things like coffee taste too bitter.

I personally love the aroma of coffee and hate the taste.

I personally love the aroma of coffee and hate the taste.

Im kinda the same.
When I smell coffee, I can understand why people like it.
I can even tolerate a hint of coffee flavor.
But when i take a sip, of what my wife seems to be enjoying thoroughly, I wince, make a face of disgust, and complain how bitter it is. then my wife yells at me for even tasting it, cause i do the same thing every time.

I just feel like Im missing out on something.

That being said, she does the same thing when I have either hot and sour soup, or something with cilantro in it.

DH doesn't like coffee either. He did mention that he likes how it smells each day when I make it for myself.

I stopped drinking coffee on a regular basis in my late 30's. Had a headache for a week. Now we might drink a cup or two on Sunday.

I made a huge mistake a couple days ago. Got a latte grande with chocolate sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream from the place across the street. Then we went out for rum and cokes in the afternoon. Neither one of us are used to caffeine, so it was 2 am before we fell asleep!

Coffee *is* bitter. That's why so many people add sweeteners and flavors. I never drank it before I met DH because my parents drank it black and it never occurred to me to add sugar. He started drinking it in middle school when he had an early-morning paper route.

I add sugar and, at home, hazelnut creamer to my coffee and yes, when I have it seasoned just right, I stop wait staff from refilling my cup. I also only drink at most two cups a day, so I don't usually need a refill.

Last edited:
I can't drink coffee black, I need creamer (vanilla) and sweetener. I love coffee and cream flavor, but on its own it's overwhelmingly bitter to me. I can't deal with red wine or dry white wine either.

I don't drink my wine with cream :LOL:

I've found that since I've not been drinking coffee much, it tastes wonderful witha scoop of ice cream!

I started drinking coffee in nursing school when I worked weekends as an aide on the night shift (11pm-7am). Then it was cream and sugar in the coffee. I eventually cut out the sugar but can't go full on black. I can do just cream. Here at home, I make it a cup at a time with my Bunn My Cafe and have it set on the light setting and add flavored creamer like hazelnut or french vanilla. Sometimes it'll just be milk though. One cup in the morning is all I need. If I drink too much caffeine I'm up all night with a racing heart.

I got the really brilliant idea of making Irish coffee with espresso, strong espresso at that once, and had 3, maybe 4 with Bushmills because they tasted oh so good. I ended up having the equivilent of 6-8 servings of espressor, plus the sugar and whipped cream. Didn't get any sleep at all the first night or next day, a couple hours dozing next night, none all the second day, and finally was able to go to sleep the second night. Was having some heart racing and palpitations on and off. Never did that again. You'd think the Bushmills would have mitigated the effects somewhat. I've found that I can have 1 espresso serving and be fine, though I won't be going to sleep for several hours, but anymore than that and I'll be up the entire night.

Back to the original topic, I really don't mind it as long as they ask. I'll just take a quick look to see how much is left so I'll know how much sugar and cream to add. If somebody just started pouring coffee into my cup though it would be another story. I do limit myself to no more than 2 cups of regular coffee otherwise I get jittery.

:ROFLMAO: Medtran! I learned (and still have to relearn apparently) to only drink coffee in the morning. Even after one cup on Sunday morning, DH and I still jitter around.

I actually enjoyed black coffee. Not the swill they made at work, good restaurant stuff. I didn't start to use cream and sugar until a few years ago.

Bothers me, I also use cream and have it down to a science. When I see them walking around with a pot I cover my cup with my hand.

A lot of places give you those individual littler cups of creamer. I always ask for extra. In fact I tell them I like my coffee extra light. Then when they come around for a refill, I have the cream on hand. I don't have to ask them to go and get me more. Most often there are the individual packets of sweeteners or sugars already on the table. I take mine with cream and sugar. This way I am always able to keep it the way I like it. :angel:

larry, that used to drive Himself nuts when he used both cream and sugar. When he was diagnosed with diabetes, the doctor advised him to drop the sugar and he did. He doesn't find adding the right amount of just cream to be a bother because, honestly, there is NO such thing as "too much cream". :LOL:

Addie, with all of the comments you make about your health, I'm surprised you still use sugar...and still smoke. You must be a physician's dream patient...:ermm:

...I actually enjoyed black coffee. Not the swill they made at work, good restaurant stuff. I didn't start to use cream and sugar until a few years ago.
That's similar to the my progression of drinking coffee, except that I don't use sugar.

As I was growing up, after supper I would go around the table and pour any leftover coffee in the mugs into my Dad's mug (Aunt=cream only, Mom=black, Dad=cream and sugar) and drink the combo down. Left the last sip behind because I might have grounds - perc coffee. Mom would tell me I shouldn't drink coffee until I could drink it black and plain. :LOL: Fast forward to me at age 20, taking SCUBA diving lessons. After class, everyone headed over to the nearest Manner's. Since tea wasn't grown-up, that's when I started to drink coffee. Black.

I still drink it black, right up to my last cup of the day. The last cup is what I refer to as my dessert coffee. That one gets a generous pour of cream. My cut-off for coffee/sleep is 6:00 PM, but we don't head to bed until after 3:00 AM. Himself? He can drink it right up to bedtime and fall asleep immediately. :wacko:

Having spent 6 month in Italy, I have gotten used to very strong, very flavourful, very yummy coffee. I've been in America for 26 years and I have to say coffee has gotten better, much better, it is Not simply brown water any more, but it is yet to reach to the world class coffee I've gotten used to all those years ago. Back to the original question, it would make me crazy if somebody did that to my coffee.

BTW, how does your wife reacts to it?

Having spent 6 month in Italy, I have gotten used to very strong, very flavourful, very yummy coffee. I've been in America for 26 years and I have to say coffee has gotten better, much better, it is Not simply brown water any more, but it is yet to reach to the world class coffee I've gotten used to all those years ago. Back to the original question, it would make me crazy if somebody did that to my coffee.

BTW, how does your wife reacts to it?

In your travels to Miami, have you ever tried Cuban colada? You buy a normal size cup (8oz) and they give you a bunch of 1oz cups to share. This is the coffee version of Jolt cola.:ohmy:

CC, you are right. I do have a lot of health problems. But at my age, the damage is done, and I don't really care. As for the smoking, I got my supply of Chantix today. Will keep you informed of my progress.

I have a cup of coffee going 24 hours a day. I make sure there is a cup on my nightstand when I settle down for the night. I would rather have coffee than food. I am so used to my cup going cold on me, that I no longer notice.

You can't call me a coffee aficionado, more like a coffee guzzler. At one time I only drank tea black with just a small amount of sugar, if it was available.

I use to have a big brown tea pot. You could buy loose tea at Fanuiel Hall in Boston. Alas! They have closed. Now I can't even find it on the shelves at my grocery. I prefer English Breakfast Blend. So I have to settle for tea bags. I got rid of the tea pot. So if I don't have any coffee in the house, I will resort to the tea bags. And I never put milk in it. Just a tad bit of sugar, if that. :angel:

I've been drinking coffee ever since my early teens. One day my father told me to try coffee without cream and sugar for just one week. I did, and tolerated the bitter taste for a few days but stuck to it. I've been drinking coffee, black, ever since.

What really eeks me is when I see people dump packets and packets of sugar and loads of creamers into their coffee. They practically have to dump half of their coffee to make room for this.... :yuk::yuk::yuk:

I've been drinking coffee ever since my early teens. One day my father told me to try coffee without cream and sugar for just one week. I did, and tolerated the bitter taste for a few days but stuck to it. I've been drinking coffee, black, ever since.

What really eeks me is when I see people dump packets and packets of sugar and loads of creamers into their coffee. They practically have to dump half of their coffee to make room for this.... :yuk::yuk::yuk:

I am not that bad. If getting a coffee from a drive-thru, I always order extra light with extra sugar. That way I know I will get a regular coffee. That means two squirts from the cream dispenser and one and a half tsps. of sugar. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom