Kitchen Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxy, so how would you know that they are using a non-standard size stick of butter?
Only by the time you find out you've already made the recipe.
Yeah, that occurred to me too. I guess you have to read the comments and see if people think the recipe worked well. And this is one of the reasons I prefer recipes from trusted sites and the ones recommended by people here.

Measuring is the reason that I rarely bake......I rarely measure. I grew up on "a dash of this, a pinch of that." Of course, a dash is a half of a pinch. "Butter the size of a hen's egg." Are we talking about Granny's hens or Memaws? Granny's hens laid HUGE eggs. Then there is "add two half-shells of water." And there are the "throw in two handfuls of [fill in the blank]"

But you know, I love those old recipes. Even ones that call for 50 cents of beef. :love:

Measuring is the reason that I rarely bake......I rarely measure. I grew up on "a dash of this, a pinch of that." Of course, a dash is a half of a pinch. "Butter the size of a hen's egg." Are we talking about Granny's hens or Memaws? Granny's hens laid HUGE eggs. Then there is "add two half-shells of water." And there are the "throw in two handfuls of [fill in the blank]"

But you know, I love those old recipes. Even ones that call for 50 cents of beef. :love:
Well, the two half shells of water will get you the right proportion of water to go with that particular egg. I'll have to remember that one.

Back
Top Bottom