Bratwurst vs pork sausage in toad in the hole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
Gonna make toad in the hole for the first time ever (yeah I've never made it before but NOT ANYMORE) and I'm confused. Most recipes call for pork sausages, but the only "pork sausage" I can find at my local grocery is either ground pork sausage (Italian, spicy, or plain) or bratwurst. I chose bratwurst cause that's all I could find (a one with cheese in it, as we like cheese, and there also wasn't one plain). What kind of sausage is traditionally used in toad in the hole? I wanna make sure I'm making it as potentially "right" as I can cause I like seeing how different culture's traditional food tastes, at least in the future.

Also your guy's onion gravy is to die for. Y'all are doing something right across that big old pond! As an American/Southern baby, I grew up on the turkey/sawmill kind, but never though to smother gravy in onions. Genius.

I don't know about other parts of England and whether or not she changed it for whatever was available in Canada, but my late MIL made it with plain ole breakfast pork sausages. It was delicious.

as a side note, Italian sausages, mild or spicy, weren't common fare in our grocers until the last couple of decades. At the same time bratwurst was a specialty sausage although available, was considered to be more from across the Channel than British.

In Germany I had knockwurst or bratwurst as a street food with their mustard (don't think it was Dijon, but very similar). I thought they were great and made our North American Hot Dogs look like complete total wimps!

American toad in the hole.
toad-in-hole-resize-7.jpg
Toad in the hole, we learned to make w/o any sausage, that is just how we ate them since I was a child, just the buttered bread and egg. That spans 50 years at least.
British toad in the hole.
330px-Toad_in_the_hole.jpg

English/British/European toad in the hole.
While we loved cheddar brats, and i'd make them in a minute if we still ate them. Did I say loved? LOVED them.
The European type of sausage i'm not sure about, surely someone here knows what kind of sausage is traditional for European Toad in the hole.

I’ve made it before with Irish/british bangers, which you can find quite easily here

You could make it with just supermarket breakfast sausage like Johnsonville or Applegate farms

American toad in the hole.
toad-in-hole-resize-7.jpg
Toad in the hole, we learned to make w/o any sausage, that is just how we ate them since I was a child, just the buttered bread and egg. That spans 50 years at least.
British toad in the hole.
330px-Toad_in_the_hole.jpg

English/British/European toad in the hole.
While we loved cheddar brats, and i'd make them in a minute if we still ate them. Did I say loved? LOVED them.
The European type of sausage i'm not sure about, surely someone here knows what kind of sausage is traditional for European Toad in the hole.

Yep, that's what Toad-in-a-hole was to me as a kid. I didn't learn about the British one until maybe 20 years ago.

I've never actually had the British version, but it looks like good comfort food to me.

CD

Not sure about what you find in the supermarket where you live, but breakfast sausages and bbq sausages are all made from pork (or pork “derivatives”) and sawdust here down under 🤣

Unless otherwise specified, bratwurst IS pork sausage.
Sir LOB - true, but further defined, it is a TYPE of pork sausage. There are many types. From many different countries.
Most 'wurst' (German for sausages) are made with pork and there may be other meats also included from beef to veal to ??? The meats could be chopped, minced, ground. Processed in some manner, often smoked, with a variety of spices and herbs.

English breakfast sausages are pretty much all sold raw. And there are many types, depending on the pig breed, etc. Also the variety of the spices and herbs used.

Breakfast sausages are generally consumed at breakfast. Wurst are consumed at most other times although I believe Weisswurst is popular mornings.

LOL, I've made the dirt cupcakes with worms and dragon poop - they LOVE them.

and their mouths were thoroughly green after the poop

Back
Top Bottom