Tempeh, how do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm curious about tempeh and it's on special at my produce basket place. Anyone have any good recipes that use it? Any tried and true ways that you use that don't exactly have a recipe? Also, recipes would be good.

Last edited:
Steaming it for 20 minutes is said to reduce bitterness and help it absorb any marinade. I haven't really been bothered by bitterness of it, but that is probably my taste buds.

Usually a mixture of salty-sweet-tangy-spicy. It can be baked or fried or cooked on the stove in a little water until it evaporates.
Optionally and popular, oil especially for browning
For the salty, soy sauce, miso, salt
Sweet, maple syrup, honey, sugar
Tangy, vinegar or ??
Spicy, mustard, chili peppers or powders

I would choose honey (obviously), miso and nu-salt (potassium salt), AC vinegar (balsamic would be nice too), and mustard.

@larry_stewart mentioned a method that looked delicious on the other tempeh thread.
Not the healthiest dude to the frying, but two things I do with tempeh:
1) Cut them up into steak fry sized pieces, fry them up then drizzle some soy sauce on the,. This was the first way I was introduced too tempt like 40 years ago, even before I was vegetarian
2) Cut them up into slabs, fry until crispy, baste with BBQ sauce ( booth sides). usually add some honey to the BBQ sauce to give it. a sweetness, then bake on a low heat ( maybe 325ish) for about 1/2 hour . The bbq sauce reduces, and thickens to coat the tempeh, and the honey slightly crystalizes . The best part is the sauce that kind hardens and crisps up on the parchment paper.

I guess Larry's description didn't penetrate my brain. I dislike most BBQ sauce, so I usually ignore any recipe that calls for it. Of course, I can put something else (less sweet) other than BBQ sauce.

Thank you for your description of ways that it is usually cooked to serve.

Back
Top Bottom