Yule Logs - Swiss rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Can one make a Swiss roll in stages?
For example - bake the cake and roll it, leave it rolled - unfilled - over night and frost the next day?
I ask as I don't think I could do it all in one day.

I think i would make the filling and frosting ahead, then make the cake. You can always let the frosting soften a bit and re whip if needed. If you don't frost right away, make sure you cover the cake up tightly with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out/harden.

I made a buche noel several years ago. I made the decorations ahead over a couple of weeks, but did the cake in 1 day and it was very tiring. I was so ready to be done with it by the time I finished the cake.

2018-12-29-12-22-12-jpg.32807

For example - bake the cake and roll it, leave it rolled - unfilled - over night and frost the next day?
I would bake and fill the cake the first day and frost it the next. Once it's baked and rolled, you can leave it on the counter for a few hours to let it cool while you rest. Then unroll it, add the filling and roll it back up. Wrap it well and refrigerate overnight.

Btw, I've seen a lot of recipes that advise putting a thick layer of powdered sugar on a tea towel and flipping the cake onto that, then rolling it in the towel. I did that once and it was a PITA.

I found another recipe where you spray the pan with baking spray, put parchment on the pan, spray that, and bake the cake, then roll it in the parchment. This was a lot easier. I think it also keeps the cake more moist (sugar draws out moisture), which makes it less likely to break when you reroll it after filling.

I think that we need one or two practice cakes!🐷🐷🐷

I think that I would make the frosting and filling ahead of time and the cake the day of assembly.

This inexpensive mock whipped cream makes a nice filling that holds up well.

Consider a vanilla log with a layer of raspberry jam in addition to the traditional cream filling.

Or maybe a black forest version filled with cherry pie filling.

Or …🤭

Last edited:
I did the parchment paper thing GG described. I did peel the pan parchment off after the cake cooled for a few and replaced it with a fresh sheet.

The powdered sugar would probably be a good idea as it should keep that thin layer from trying to stick and peel off, but I'd put some in a wire colander and sprinkle it lightly on the top after it had cooled some, then lay out a piece of parchment, flip the cake out, peel baked parchment, sprinkle sugar, fresh parchment, roll.

I also laid a couple dish towels on top of the parchment to simulate the filling.

Oh my goodness! So many ideas! All sound great!

Thanks so much.

Now the truth will out.... will dragn get off her butt and actually do it?

Well, I have never done a sheet pan cake nor a roll. that pumpkin one sounds like a good experiment to start with.

I believe DIL has a can of pumpkin in the larder. :)

I made a Bûche de Noël when I was working for Amoretti. It wasn't hard, long or tedius, and there was plenty of free time while waiting for the cake to cool before frosting it. Check it out HERE.

:LOL: Sir LOB, don't think anyone said it was tedious, just need to be watchful, dexterous, and able to stand up. :mrgreen:
That looks good, is that the one you made?

The pumpkin cake was the one I started with, too.

Here's another option. I especially like the way she uses white chocolate to make the "bark." It reminds me of birch trees that were common where I grew up in Michigan.

it depends what sponge you use, genoise is easier to roll hot, let cool, douse with rum syrup ,fill and re-roll in the parchment it was baked on, seAl the ends with buttercream and freeze, it can be finished at a later time .

Swiss roll recipes are far more tolerant ( rubbery).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom