First Sausage Rolls ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
So this afternoon I made my first Sausage Rolls and I thought they came out pretty good for a first attempt. My only complaint (per se) was they were a little "bland" without any real taste or flavor.

How I did it:

1. 1 x Roll Jimmy Dean Regular Supreme Sausage Meat
2. Sage
3. Garlic
4. Basil
5. Thyme
6. Oregano

(all as per @Jade Emperor quantity recommendations)

7. A dash of olive oil to help mix the spices etc
8. Made up the Rolls then gave them a coating of cackle berry (egg for the uninitiated :) )
9 Oven at 350F for 30 mins

This is all of that in picture form :)

Pastry.jpg

Meat.jpg

Laid Out.jpg

Rolled.jpg

Snags and Dead Horse.jpg

And there you have it :) All I have to do now is play with the taste/flavor to get a more "savory taste" then onto the PIES!!! Yeah!!! :)

So at this point, I need to thank everyone who helped me get to this point with your advice and suggestions - thank you all greatly (y)

Thanks @dragnlaw - as mentioned I just have to figure out the flavor/taste now but think I got it okay. The more I do thebetter they will become hopefully :)

I do have to try to find soome sheet puff pastry though - that Pepperidge Farm stuff is okay but sheet would be better I think.

Thanks @dragnlaw - as mentioned I just have to figure out the flavor/taste now but think I got it okay. The more I do thebetter they will become hopefully :)

I do have to try to find soome sheet puff pastry though - that Pepperidge Farm stuff is okay but sheet would be better I think.
Do you have any Greek or Middle-eastern bakeries or markets in your area? I found great phyllo and puff pastry that way.

Do you have any Greek or Middle-eastern bakeries or markets in your area? I found great phyllo and puff pastry that way.

I live in the boonies and my closest store for proper food is 12 miles away - thats Wegmans and they are the only bakery as such around that I know of. I'd have to travel an hour to find a "proper bakery I think" :(

Thanks @dragnlaw - as mentioned I just have to figure out the flavor/taste now but think I got it okay. The more I do the better they will become hopefully :)
I know absolutely nothing about these, but what kind of flavor was it missing? While I like Jimmy Dean just fine, consider the Bob Evans Zesty Hot sausage. For me, I wonder about the sage. It may be traditional and necessary, but I find that sage sometimes dominates many other flavors.

Wegmans has puff pastry sheets in the freezer section.

I know absolutely nothing about these, but what kind of flavor was it missing? While I like Jimmy Dean just fine, consider the Bob Evans Zesty Hot sausage. For me, I wonder about the sage. It may be traditional and necessary, but I find that sage sometimes dominates many other flavors.

Wegmans has puff pastry sheets in the freezer section.

That's the thing @Kathleen - I really don't know. I know what I am looking for but have no idea how to explain it other than it is a "savory flavor"

I might try a different type of sausage next as you suggested. I really didn't look for Bob Evans products as the JD sausage was readily available so I just went for that. I opted for the regular(plain) to begin with as well.

My wegmans only had the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry, I didn't look at their phylo pastry.

I was thinking Phyllo when reading puff pastry. Apologies. If the puff pastry was not great, might croissant sheets work?

It wasn't that the Puff Pastry wasn't good - it was, it was just the way it came, all folded up in a box instead of 12" x 12" (or what ever size they are) sheets as I expected.

It wasn't that the Puff Pastry wasn't good - it was, it was just the way it came, all folded up in a box instead of 12" x 12" (or what ever size they are) sheets as I expected.
It looked like you had a hard time with that puff pastry. The first thing I thought was why does he have that on a plate? Anyway, I suspect it was a frozen product and if that was the case let it thaw out in the fridge and never room temperature add a little flour to flat surface and unfold the puff as soon as you take it out of the fridge and make a few light passes with a rolling pin before you use it. Also after filling the pastry put back in the fridge to firm up. :)

It looked like you had a hard time with that puff pastry. The first thing I thought was why does he have that on a plate? Anyway, I suspect it was a frozen product and if that was the case let it thaw out in the fridge and never room temperature add a little flour to flat surface and unfold the puff as soon as you take it out of the fridge and make a few light passes with a rolling pin before you use it. Also after filling the pastry put back in the fridge to firm up. :)
read this again its all in how you handle it.

you can leave the dough on the paper , press it out flat with a pin or bottle and use the paper to roll them.

They have a rough appearance because you used too much flour under the dough, then failed to brush it off before eggwashing the top.

rough or scotch puff only takes 12 minutes, thats the whole reason for using that method, its perfect for turnovers and sausage rolls.
Took the words right out of my mouth. :LOL: but, yeah, it works perfectly for certain things and sausage rolls is one of them.

When I think savoury, the first three things that come to mind as things that will enhance savoury are 1) Asian fish sauce 2) Worcestershire sauce 3) Marmite or Vegemite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom