Sausage type question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yankee00

Cook
I remember eating a delicious cased, white sausage that was finely ground and had a fair amount of pepper in it. I have Googled all German sausages and cannot seem to find the name of whatever it was I ate. I have a local Euro Meat store in my town that I got a gift certificate for, but before I go, I was hoping someone might have an idea of what this sausage was called?

I'll be darned. That sure looks like it. IF you are putting lobster in yours, I have to ask where you live as I am originally from Maine.

A picture of our last haul. The weisswurst was the top left. We got bratwurst and knackwurst, and I can't remember the others. We had a couple of meals, besides leftovers, with homemade sauerkraut, potatoes and German mustard.

2019-10-14 08.45.31.jpg

A picture of our last haul. The weisswurst was the top left. We got bratwurst and knackwurst, and I can't remember the others. We had a couple of meals, besides leftovers, with homemade sauerkraut, potatoes and German mustard.

View attachment 67672
One of them kinda looks like Kielbasa, which is another memory I am chasing. My step-Grandfather was Jewish and lived in Springfield, MA. He and my Polish uncle would always buy a HUGE ring of Kielbasa from a local place when we came to visit and cooked it on a charcoal grill. I have yet to find any kielbasa that matches the flavors I remember.

Last edited:
When people talk about Kielbasa I never know if they are referring to fresh or cured. First time I heard about fresh was actually here.

Perhaps one of the differences is being done on the grill?

When people talk about Kielbasa I never know if they are referring to fresh or cured. First time I heard about fresh was actually here.

Here in Texas, Kielbasa is not all that popular. You will find it in grocery stores, surrounded by twenty kinds of smoked sausages.

CD

In Central New York the white sausage of choice is the Hofmann Snappy Griller or Coney.

Check your local market or purchase direct from Hofmann.

1705728484408.jpeg
Introduced in 1934, the Snappy Grillers were modeled after traditional, white German sausages using a combination of veal, pork, egg whites, dried non-fat milk, and select spices. They are a hybrid sausage-frank with a smooth texture and size of a hot dog.

Last edited:
In Central New York the white sausage of choice is the Hofmann Snappy Griller or Coney.

Check your local market!
View attachment 67678Introduced in 1934, the Snappy Grillers were modeled after traditional, white German sausages using a combination of veal, pork, egg whites, dried non-fat milk, and select spices. They are a hybrid sausage-frank with a smooth texture and size of a hot dog.

An interesting history side note... When German immigrants settled in Central Texas, they went from using a lot of pork like they did back in Germany, to using mostly beef, since it was so readily available. That's how beef brisket became the centerpiece of Texas BBQ. Chicken Fried Steak was inspired by pork schnitzel from back home. And, traditional smoked sausage in Texas barbecue pits is beef sausage.

CD

Keep in mind that I was probably all of 8 years old at the time. I just remember them bringing this huge ring of kielbasa and putting it on a round charcoal grill and the ring of sausage was almost as large as the grill surface. I assume they got it from a butcher, but am not certain. As for fresh or cured, I truly have no idea.

Here in Texas, Kielbasa is not all that popular. You will find it in grocery stores, surrounded by twenty kinds of smoked sausages.

CD
I get it. I am from Maine and this kielbasa was from Massachusetts. I reckon a lot of it has to do with little hamlets created by immigrants when the came to the US?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom