Real Sausage Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
To strart with, if this is the wrong place I apologise and please move it to where it belongs.

I'll make this pretty simple ... I am an Aussie surviung in the US who misses some of the basic Aussie foods like Meat and Curry Pies and good old fashioned 7/11 Sausage Rolls. As such, I would like to try to learn how to make those things, especially the sausage rolls and Curry Meat Pies.

I need to know everything, the ingrediants, type of pastry (or how to make that) cooking times etc etc etc

OR, as a last resort, if anyone knows where I can buy Curry Meat Pies and genuine Aussier Sausage Rolls in the US.

I'm intrigued to know if an Aussie sausage roll is the same as a British one? In the UK, you have pork sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry, with a few slashes across the top. Pretty simple and very easy to make if you buy ready-made puff pastry! But are Aussie sausage rolls different?

I'm intrigued to know if an Aussie sausage roll is the same as a British one? In the UK, you have pork sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry, with a few slashes across the top. Pretty simple and very easy to make if you buy ready-made puff pastry! But are Aussie sausage rolls different?

Hmm, I don't know to be honest BUT from what you have described (Pork wrapped in Pastry) it does sound the same or very similar. I suppose the differences might come from the additives, spices etc for the flavor perhaps?

I have had a couple of American Made so allrd Sausage rRolls and they taste nothing like the Austrlian ones. Have also had Irish Sausage Rolls which are a bit different as well - good but different taste to them?

Just as a passing thought, are these British Forums - I thought they were Aussie, at least that is what I "googled". It doesn't matter of course am just wondering out of curiosity :)

Actually, this is predominantly an American/Canadian food forum!

I think possibly the sausage meat is the issue you will have. I don't know what an Aussie sausage roll is like, but the pastry element should be pretty similar anywhere. The meat however, will probably be processed differently and therefore have a different texture. Sausage meat used in the UK usually has a fairly high fat content, and then for a sausage roll, you would add seasoning (and usually some herbs too) to your own taste. Of course you could just buy some sausages and squeeze them out of their skins, but again, not sure if you get that style of sausage readily in the US. Hopefully a local can help you!

Thank you and yeah - the 7/11 style sausage roll is more a paste type of texture to it and as you said, finding the right meat may be the hard part. The pastry wont be an issue as I can get both Filo and Puff here.

As for the forums - might have to find an Aussie one and get, as you said - some local knowledge but look, thank you for the information, I appreciate it :)

we do have several Aussie and NZ members. Give us a chance, hoping we can help.
Edjumacate me, are those sausages pre-formed and encased in a skin?
But not a breakfast sausage, right?

Ahhh - nope, not even close mate :)

Sausage rolls are generally pork + seasoning wrapped in Puff Pastry. Give me a minute and I'll post yu a piccy of one :)

Actually wombat, I think you should stick around - given that it is the particular type/texture of meat that is going to make this an authentic sausage roll experience, you need someone in the US who can steer you towards a US supplier!

Actually wombat, I think you should stick around - given that it is the particular type/texture of meat that is going to make this an authentic sausage roll experience, you need someone in the US who can steer you towards a US supplier!

I plan on sticky around KatyCooks, aftyer all, I am interested in more than JUST Pies and Sausage Rolls :)

Thank you and yeah - the 7/11 style sausage roll is more a paste type of texture to it and as you said, finding the right meat may be the hard part. The pastry wont be an issue as I can get both Filo and Puff here.

As for the forums - might have to find an Aussie one and get, as you said - some local knowledge but look, thank you for the information, I appreciate it :)
the paste texture is just a matter of running it through a buffalo chopper until it looks right, a food processor might do it. you could also grind and regrind then hand beat it to develop the texture.
its a whole easier to just buy irish bangers and strip them.
the breadcrumb is important , or you may end up with them sitting in a pool of fat.
test fry a small medallion without oil to see how much free fat weeps out, if it cooks dry it already contains enough starch, if it dumps a lot of fat in the pan then gradually add dry crumbs and re-test.

Thanks for the input guys and @gerardj I think I have found a way around having to grind etc - what do you think of this as an option:

-2024-jan-13-003.jpg

If it works and I think someone suggested this already - how much would I need to make say 24 6" sausage rolls? The thing I like about this stuff is there seems to be a few varieties/flavors such as Sage, Italian, Hot, Mild etc etc and it is already seasoned :)

Okay this is post number 2 for this 24 hours :geek:

many varieties of sauage-in-a-roll.
my personal favorite is Bob Evans "Original"

do try a couple different ones - they are all slightly different.
pay attention to the labels - all the major brands have introduced "(heavily) flavored / seasoned" varieties - for example I'm not fond of sage, , , so I've no interest in anything of that ilk....

Thanks for the input guys and @gerardj I think I have found a way around having to grind etc - what do you think of this as an option:

View attachment 67554

If it works and I think someone suggested this already - how much would I need to make say 24 6" sausage rolls? The thing I like about this stuff is there seems to be a few varieties/flavors such as Sage, Italian, Hot, Mild etc etc and it is already seasoned :)

Okay this is post number 2 for this 24 hours :geek:

Not a problem and thanks ... I think I'll get a 6 pack to make sure I have enough then - better to have too much and not need it than run short :)

Pies - hmm, lets get past the Sausage Rolls first me thinks - the Pies are a whole new thing and I am yet to take a look at the vid that was posted for them :)

Okay so one last question (I think) - the Aussie 7/11 rolls had a savory sort of taste to them,which is why I liked them so much. I am hopeless when it comes to using spices and seasonings so can you suggest some Seasonings that I could add (if needed) to the Jimmy Dean Sausage to get a Savory taste to the rolls?

That might be a "how long isa piece of string question I think" :(

By the way - the answer to that is "very!" :-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom