Yo Mama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mseaglecook

Senior Cook
Lately, I have been really missing my mother. My mother's birthday is this month. Her birthday was July 12 the same day as Julius Caesar. She was so proud of the fact that she and ole Juls shared a birthday. She was a wonderful woman. My kids adored her.

I thought I would share a story with ya'll and then you could leave stories about your moms here.

When my mom was still alive and my kids were pretty young. I became very ill. I had pneumonia, a sinus infection and low iron in my blood all at the same time. I was sick as all get out. My mom called me on the phone everyday 2 or 3 times a day to check up on me. She kept saying she wished she could come see me but I wouldn't let her because she had some lung problems and I didst want to risk infecting her. Well, the next day I heard a knock on my front door. It was my mom. She told me not to open the door it because she didn't want to be exposed to my germs. She told me to go look our of the front window. I looked out of the window and saw that she had bought me a teddy bear and flowers and some candy. She created a pretty little display. I started crying because I could not hug her. She put her hand on the window and told me how much she loved me. I still cry thinking about it today. Moms are great.

Now what are your MOM stories...

There was that time in Stockholm that my mum and I were out in public and she acted like she had misheard me say "pig", when I had actually used the word "pick" in that sentence. She kept saying, "Pig?" and I kept repeating, "pick". I replied to her queries louder and louder, until I was shouting, "Pick!". Then she burst out laughing. She had made me yell that word in public.

What does "pick" mean in Swedish?

:ROFLMAO:

There was that time in Stockholm that my mum and I were out in public and she acted like she had misheard me say "pig", when I had actually used the word "pick" in that sentence. She kept saying, "Pig?" and I kept repeating, "pick". I replied to her queries louder and louder, until I was shouting, "Pick!". Then she burst out laughing. She had made me yell that word in public.

What does "pick" mean in Swedish?

:ROFLMAO:
Oh, Taxy,
Sounds like your Mom was my kind of woman with a wicked sense of humor. Oh, she really got ya. I loved that story. Thanks for sharing it. :)

So, I told the story where my mother embarrassed me. I have to tell what she did at my bridal shower. One of Stirling's friends had arranged the shower. It was in a restaurant in downtown Montreal. Friend claimed I liked that resto, but I had never heard of it. It was a bit on the snooty, overpriced side. Some of my friends couldn't afford to go. Some went anyways. My mum noticed that this was an issue for some of the attendees. So, at the wedding reception, she discreetly handed out 20 dollar bills to each of the attendees.(20 dollars was worth more in 1997 than now.) She wanted to alleviate any burden the excessive price of the meal might have caused for anyone. :wub:

She was that weird combination of frugal (verging on stingy) and generous that I have seen in some other people who were young during the Great Depression.

Last edited:
taxy, that's lovely and very true of my mom too. She also was very stringent but very generous at the same time. She had a knack for knowing just when it was the right time for both.
And you're right I believe the times during which they grew up nurtured that gift in many of that previous generation.

taxy, that's lovely and very true of my mom too. She also was very stringent but very generous at the same time. She had a knack for knowing just when it was the right time for both.
And you're right I believe the times during which they grew up nurtured that gift in many of that previous generation.
My mum didn't actually grow up during the Depression. She was an adult for most of the Depression.

Don't think it really matters how old you were, if you were around during the Depression, you were affected by it.

So, I told the story where my mother embarrassed me. I have to tell what she did at my bridal shower. One of Stirling's friends had arranged the shower. It was in a restaurant in downtown Montreal. Friend claimed I liked that resto, but I had never heard of it. It was a bit on the snooty, overpriced side. Some of my friends couldn't afford to go. Some went anyways. My mum noticed that this was an issue for some of the attendees. So, at the wedding reception, she discreetly handed out 20 dollar bills to each of the attendees.(20 dollars was worth more in 1997 than now.) She wanted to alleviate any burden the excessive price of the meal might have caused for anyone. :wub:

She was that weird combination of frugal (verging on stingy) and generous that I have seen in some other people who were young during the Great Depression.
Oh, Taxy,
I am so glad you shared your stories about your mother. You know when we share these stories about our Moms they become everyone's mom for just a second or two as we read the stories about these great women, your mom, my mom and the moms of every person on the board.

You know what she was a great woman and I wish I could have a transporter like Scotty from Star Trek and that he could transport me back in time so that I could have been at that wedding shower and at your wedding to see your wonderful beautiful mom in action. Your stories about your Mom really inspire and entertain me. Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom