Wok Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
What type of oil does everyone use when cooking in a wok? I know you're supposed to have high heat, but every kind of oil I use smokes. It's getting old having to open all my windows and turn on all the fans every time I use my wok. Any suggestions?

try peanut, soya, or vegetable oil. oils or fats like olive oil or butter have a low smoking point, which will set off your smoke alarms pretty fast.
you are correct to use as high heat as you can get for cooking in a wok.

Last edited:
Out of the oils Buckytom suggested I would prefer to use peanut oil, it's traditional.

Also there is a relatively inexpensive type of oil now called rice bran oil. Neutral flavour and has a ridiculously high smoke point.

i never use olive oil in the wok, but I did pick up this stuff called wok oil, and it smoked at medium-high heat. my vegetable oil smokes as well. I'll try the peanut because I've seen it before, but is the rice bran oil fairly common in supermarkets? i don't believe I've seen it before.

I use Asian peanut oil. It has a more pronounced peanut flavor than U.S. produced peanut oil.

Peanut oil is the best, but it is a bit spendy. I use corn oil some times, it is not as good, but the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom