Wednesday, May 15th - make anything good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Master Chef
I made something today, since the weather was not nice enough to be out there! And to use up some ingredients out of my fridge.

I made another batch of an Italian type dish, this one with some cremini mushrooms, some bell peppers, and some of the stems from that Swiss chard I harvested a week or so ago. I also chopped up a large onion, and I minced up a bunch of rosemary, marjoram, and 8 cloves garlic, and about 6 anchovies (maybe more!). Before preparing all these things, I started by "brining" a cup of puy lentils, and while that was going, I cooked 3/4 c barley some water in the Instant Pot, with a little salt, 20 min, then pet it release naturally. I put that in a bowl (only about 1/2 c water left), then rinsed the lentils, then cooked them in 2 c water (absorbed some, already, in an hour) just 12 min, then let it release naturally, then drained, and put in with the barley. While this was cooking, I cooked the mushrooms, left fairly large, my usual way - steaming, boiling off the watr, and sautéeing in just a tb of oil, then I added a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, to deglaze the mushroom pan.

In the cleaned out IP, I browned a pound of sweet Italian sausage, plus another 2 tsp fennel seed - not very oily, so I added about a tb of olive oil, then the onion, and cooked 5 or 6 min., adding the bell peppers after about 3 min. Then I added the garlic and herbs, 2 tsp boletus powder, plus the anchovies, cooked another 2 minutes, then stirred in the mushrooms and tomatoes, and mixed well. Then I mixed in the lentils and barley, along with the chard stems, covered, and simmered about 5 min., while getting the basil prepared. I stirred in over a cup of chopped basil, but it needed a little more, so about another third of a cup went in, which was just right! I might put some grated cheese on some of the reheated leftovers, just for variety.
All the cut up ingredients for the mushroom barley dish, besides the onions and mushrooms. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The sweet Italian sausage, browned in the Instant Pot, with the onion added, with a little oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The barley, and the put lentils, cooked separately first, and added too the cooked sausage and veggies, with some tomatoes, to cook several minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Two types of basil from the hydroponics, chopped up and added at the end. Used about 3/4 of it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, after adding the basil by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, ready to eat. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Looking at the pictures of this, I was thinking some eggplant would be a good addition to it!

Looks and sounds like a top quality dish @pepperhead212. Thanks for the recipe, you've given me a new interesting idea on how to make tasty recipes using grains and legumes, which in my opinion is not as easy as cooking pasta dishes.

Talking about pasta, I cooked fusilli with freshly shelled peas, as this is the time of year for fresh peas. These were bought from the green grocer, but we used to plant them on our land and I remember one time we freezed 15 kilos of fresh peas! Our chest freezer was full right to the brim! 😀

At around 4 in the afternoon, I had two eggs on rugbrød (heavy, Danish style rye bread) and it made me very full, so I wasn't very hungry for supper. I cut up a cucumber and some celery into "dippers", put some Spanish style chorizo, and some Kalamata olives on a plate and had that with hummus. I also had a few tortilla chips and a large glass of milk.

Duchess fritatta, a Lorraine with added ham, and fried potatoes.

20240515_185323.jpg

I made some freezer dump chili. Ground beef from the freezer and spices from the pantry. Served it with some Minute Rice microwave rice. Yeah, not a whole lot of effort put into that meal.

I got a little heavy handed with my homemade chili powder. I guess I forgot how potent it was. I put some leftover chili on some flour tortillas with some shredded cheese for a late-night snack. That may sound like a bad idea, but I actually slept pretty well last night.

CD

Back
Top Bottom