Are there specific dishes used for different sized ramekins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
My friend gave me some used 6 oz ramekins and some 12 oz ramekins. I usually use my other 6 oz ramekins for lava cakes, but do I use my 12 oz for . . . bigger lava cakes? Or are larger ramekins better for quiches and single serve pot pies? Could I make popovers in either size, or does that require actual popover moulds? (The 6 oz is like 1-1.5 in high and the 12 oz is maybe 2 in high.)

You can use either of them for whatever you want - it just depends on how much of something you want to have. If it helps, 6 oz is 3/4 cup and 12 oz is 1.5 cups.

You can make popovers in either one as well. The traditional shape is from the traditional pan, but I don't think they will bake any differently.

I have a few of these old Pyrex custard cups in 6, 10, and 12 ounce sizes that I’ve picked up in thrift shops and flea markets.

I use them for baking and also as cereal bowls, ice cream cups, side dishes, etc…
1717281429755.jpeg

In the fall I like to use a 12 ounce cup for an individual apple crisp. 🐷🐷🐷

I parted with a lot of dishes and bakeware when we downsized the kitchen to the two of us. One thing I kept was every size of round ramekin and round ceramic to just under pie pan size. I found them to be handy for small chocolate pies, and when I made fruit cakes for christmas I made every size of them, decorated with almonds. They work out well for puddings too. I don't look for recipes to fit the size ramekins. The little ones are great for that little extra batter in baking cakes.

I've saved many of those ramekins, of different sizes, but also gave away a number of them; I also have a bunch of different sizes of tart pans and quiche pans (not many friends had any use for those), but I've given away a lot of things that I don't use any more, and still have more to give away, when I see someone that can use them.

I also mix them - for eg. small amounts of salt, pepper, sugar all go into one little cup. But only if they are added at the same time. Same with liquids eg. an egg with milk - measure the milk plonk in the egg - ready and waiting! But again, only if they are added at the same time.
Plus, if I have room I place them in the order in which they will be added. Works for me!

When it comes to popovers, you don't need special molds to make them. You can use any muffin tin with deep enough cups so that the batter can rise and spread out during baking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom