Is there a way to ignore individual threads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Some threads just don't interest me, or for other reasons, I don't want them popping up in the "New Posts" list every time I check for new posts. I'm sure there are threads of mine that other forum members have no interest in, as well.

On other forums (food and other subjects), you can ignore individual threads that don't interest you. The only "Ignore" function I can see is for individual people, which is not the same. There are sometimes threads started by people I like that I just don't have any interest in. These same people often start threads that I am interested in, and want to see.

CD

I don't think there is casey. Why don't you try looking at What's New? perhaps that format is different and is the one I use. It hi-lights the posts I've not read at all.
Surely you at least read the first post? Otherwise how do you know if it will be to your liking?

Now I could be wrong, perhaps another mod can correct me.

When you click new posts, look under "new posts" and there is a "mark all forums read" you can click. That will get rid of everything unread.
Screenshot_20240601_144244_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think there is casey. Why don't you try looking at What's New? perhaps that format is different and is the one I use. It hi-lights the posts I've not read at all.
Surely you at least read the first post? Otherwise how do you know if it will be to your liking?

Now I could be wrong, perhaps another mod can correct me.

I usually read the first post, unless the title tells me I'm not interested. For example, the current "Eggplant" thread. I hate eggplant. So of course, it pops up in "New Posts" over and over and over. I have nothing against the OP or the participants, and I'm happy for people who like eggplant, but I would just assume not see that thread day-after-day.

Right now, I skip over the threads I don't wish to participate in, then click the ""Mark Forums Read" to clear out the threads I have no interest in. But, they keep returning, so I have to clear them again.

On other forums, I can click "Ignore Thread," and never see it again.

Surely I'm not alone on this???

CD

I usually read the first post, unless the title tells me I'm not interested. For example, the current "Eggplant" thread. I hate eggplant. So of course, it pops up in "New Posts" over and over and over. I have nothing against the OP or the participants, and I'm happy for people who like eggplant, but I would just assume not see that thread day-after-day.

Right now, I skip over the threads I don't wish to participate in, then click the ""Mark Forums Read" to clear out the threads I have no interest in. But, they keep returning, so I have to clear them again.

On other forums, I can click "Ignore Thread," and never see it again.

Surely I'm not alone on this???

CD
You're not alone.

When you click new posts, look under "new posts" and there is a "mark all forums read" you can click. That will get rid of everything unread.View attachment 69442
Nice suggestion. And nice feature as well.

I really like the "new" areas to see if there's anything of interest to me going on. I also love the "latest posts" box. Kudos to the DC Team for implementing those features.

When you click new posts, look under "new posts" and there is a "mark all forums read" you can click. That will get rid of everything unread.View attachment 69442

Yes, as I mentioned, I do that after I have read all the threads I want to read. But, many of them are back the next time I visit the forum. It would be more convenient if I can make forums I have no interest in just go away permanently.

CD

Yes, as I mentioned, I do that after I have read all the threads I want to read. But, many of them are back the next time I visit the forum. It would be more convenient if I can make forums I have no interest in just go away permanently.

CD
We were typing and posting pretty much at the same time

The ignore thread feature is available on this Xenforo platform (look at bottom of any page). That option needs to be turned on.

These screenshots are from another forum.

Screenshot 2024-06-01 174419.png

xenforo.png

The ignore thread feature is available on this Xenforo platform (look at bottom of any page). That option needs to be turned on.

These screenshots are from another forum.

View attachment 69445

View attachment 69447
I don't see that anywhere. Are you on a phone or desktop?

Also, that function may not be available. Not all functions are available on every forum. Some have to be turned on and/or paid for.

I don't see that anywhere. Are you on a phone or desktop?

Also, that function may not be available. Not all functions are available on every forum. Some have to be turned on and/or paid for.
Desktop. That option is at the top of the page.

CD
They are back because a new post to the thread has been made, just pass on by and then mark them as read. New posts are always at the top as it goes by date and time. No need to keep on scrolling.

what if you change your mind? suppose someone in your family ends up loving eggplant and you end up needing to look at that thread?

But you wouldn't know what you don't see. It doesn't do any good to search if you don't know what you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom