What do you think is the most challenging thing in cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's how it used to be. I simply do not have the energy and stamina that I used to have. Now, I would rather make something with less effort that still tastes good. As it is, I have to stop and sit more frequently than I prefer. But, if I don't and just push through, it will take much longer to regain energy.
That's my issue as well. I have terrible feet. Arthritis in both feet, as well as a couple of other issues, including neuropathy. I even bought myself a tall stool to sit on at the counter for times when I have a lot of chopping to do (when I make my homemade vegetable soup, as an example). That didn't work out as well as I had hoped. There was nowhere for my knees to go, since there's a set of drawers right below the counter I work on, and it eventually became uncomfortable sitting on the hard, wooden seat.

So much for that idea.

@Linda0818, does that stool have wooden leg? I had an old wooden stool that I wanted to use at the kitchen counter and had the same problem. Himself cut off enough of the legs to get the height right so I could tuck my legs under the sink. My dish cleaning supplies are in a small basket, so I slide those deeper into the base cabinet, put a large cutting board across the sink as my "counter", and work away.

As far as the wooden seat goes, maybe a small pillow as a buffer would work.

Standing isn't that much of a problem for me. It's endurance that is lacking. What really wipes me out is trying to do stuff bent over, like rummaging in the fridge or finding stuff on very low shelves. For that, I got a Kickstep rolling step stool that I can sit on. It's also handy when I need to get things off of the top shelves of my cabinets. Bending over, do something quick, and stand up doesn't bother me. So, I often forget to get the Kickstep to sit on for the times I'll be bent over a bit longer. DH, on the other hand, uses a padded bar stool to sit at the stove any time he will need to do stuff for more than a minute or so at the stove.

The hardest part for me is just getting started cooking something.
Me too. When I'm rolling it's fine and I'll come up with fun things to do while I wait for something to heat - like make a sauce or toast this or that. But getting started is hard for me lately.

@Linda0818, does that stool have wooden leg? I had an old wooden stool that I wanted to use at the kitchen counter and had the same problem. Himself cut off enough of the legs to get the height right so I could tuck my legs under the sink. My dish cleaning supplies are in a small basket, so I slide those deeper into the base cabinet, put a large cutting board across the sink as my "counter", and work away.

As far as the wooden seat goes, maybe a small pillow as a buffer would work.
Yes, it's wooden. But regardless of its height, I still wouldn't have any openings to tuck my legs into.

Putting a board across the sink is a good idea and would probably work if the stool wasn't as tall as it is. However, I don't have anyone to cut the legs down for me.

Not sure if I'd want to try a pillow on the wooden seat. The stool is tall enough to where my feet don't even touch the floor when I'm sitting on it and my luck I'd slide off backwards and bust my head open :ROFLMAO: :oops:

@Linda0818, if you have the cutting board straddled across the sink, you can slide your knees into the cabinet under the sink.
20230505_205739.jpg

I have neither the energy nor the stamina to stand for long, plus it aggravates the neuropathy in my feet. So I have a set of stools (one for the "other" side of the peninsula that is my primary work station) with comfortable backs and cushioned seats, similar to the ones below. I love them. I can half-sit on the stool to chop and sit back and rest when I need to. Works for me, and my occasional guest.

kitchen stool.jpg

Last edited:
I have neither the energy nor the stamina to stand for long, plus it aggravates the neuropathy in my feet. So I have a set of stools (one for the "other" side of the peninsula that is my primary work station) with comfortable backs and cushioned seats, similar to the ones below. I love them. I can half-sit on the stool to chop and sit back and rest when I need to. Works for me, and my occasional guest.

View attachment 64503
That sounds really good. Where do your knees go? This might be useful for me, as well as my sweetie. He has knee issues, especially when standing for long.

That sounds really good. Where do your knees go? This might be useful for me, as well as my sweetie. He has knee issues, especially when standing for long.
I sit toward the front of the stool, bend my right knee to the right and rest it on the rung of the stool; then I stretch my left leg to the left with my foot on the floor. So I'm half standing but resting on the stool. It relieves a lot of the pressure on my feet.

@Linda0818, if you have the cutting board straddled across the sink, you can slide your knees into the cabinet under the sink.
View attachment 64502
I actually tried that, but the stool is too tall and my knees still hit the top part of the counter rather than inside the cupboard doors. However, when I chop things, I need to be hovering a good bit over the cutting board. So trying a shorter stool - short enough to allow my knees to slide under the counter, won't sit me up tall enough.

I know, I'm a hopeless case :(

I actually tried that, but the stool is too tall and my knees still hit the top part of the counter rather than inside the cupboard doors. However, when I chop things, I need to be hovering a good bit over the cutting board. So trying a shorter stool - short enough to allow my knees to slide under the counter, won't sit me up tall enough.

I know, I'm a hopeless case :(
Have you tried sitting at a 90-degree angle with your dominant hand facing the counter to cut? That way, your knees would be in the empty space in front of you instead of hitting the drawers.

Have you tried sitting at a 90-degree angle with your dominant hand facing the counter to cut? That way, your knees would be in the empty space in front of you instead of hitting the drawers.
No, I haven't tried that. I'll see if that works a little better for me. Thanks, GG.

I like the stools you posted. They look very comfy.

No, I haven't tried that. I'll see if that works a little better for me. Thanks, GG.

I like the stools you posted. They look very comfy.
Thank you. My DH bought me one as a Christmas present to help me in the kitchen and when my mom saw it on her next visit, she bought another one so she could join me when I was prepping dinner ☺

I suddenly feel very lucky I have no issues standing, bending etc ;)
As for stools, and half sitting: check out bar stools. Just a thought.

I got stainless steel top counters, and can sit at them with my knees underneath. I'm prepared for the future ;)

I suddenly feel very lucky I have no issues standing, bending etc ;)
As for stools, and half sitting: check out bar stools. Just a thought.

I got stainless steel top counters, and can sit at them with my knees underneath. I'm prepared for the future ;)
Enjoy it while you can. Another thing in terms of preparing for the future, get a home with only one level, no other floors. Stairs may not be an obstacle, but carrying your laundry from the second floor to the basement to wash it and more trips to the basement to put it in the dryer and then remove it is a PITA.

rr - I think I would cook a lot more should I be cooking for someone. Half the fun is watching someone enjoy the food you cook. (other half is enjoying myself) Someone once told me I should open a restaurant as my food was so great. WHAT?? and have to cook on demand? No way - never! o_O :LOL:
Two points here - 1. Yes, cooking for yourself seems like a lot of effort, plus the quantities for 1 are so small it just seems to mean a lot of waste. 2. Cooking on demand in a restaurant would take ALL of the spontaneity and pleasure from it! Imagine the pressure too, if people are unreasonable and snotty!

Another cooking challenge of mine is potato salad. I've never once made a really good batch of it. Whether I wing it or follow a recipe, it just never turns out right. The potatoes are a challenge, as well as getting the flavors spot on. The potatoes are either too mushy or not cooked enough and it always turns out super bland.

I don't know what it is about potato salad, but it's become my kitchen nemesis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom