What do you think is the most challenging thing in cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Badjak, I find it very hard, actually impossible, to cook well for people I don't like. It rarely happens that we have dinner guests that I really don't like (my husband's niece and her husband) and I try, but the dish always turns out subpar.
You are so right!
That's even worse than cooking things you don't like for people you like ;)

Another difficult, no maybe scary one, is to cook for people from a specific country.
I love/like/grew up with Imdonesian food, but I'm real scared cooking for Indonesians
Like cooking Thai for Thai, Indian for Indians, while knowing I'm pretty competent, but still....

My biggest challenge when it comes to ANY food preparation is baking. I do not like baking and avoid it at all costs. If you want cake or cookies in my house, you will have to settle for whatever came from the Kroger bakery or freezer section. A fresh loaf of homemade bread? Forget about it.

It's not that I haven't tried all of these things (and more). It's just I'm terrible at it and whatever I'm making never turns out the way it's supposed to. I gave up even attempting baked goods long ago.

One exception is making 3-ingredient (peanut butter, sugar, egg) peanut butter cookies. But, of course, the main reason I chose that recipe is because it's easy and not labor-intensive. Because there are only 3 ingredients, I was very skeptical the first time I made them. But they are amazing. My son went bananas over them.

My biggest challenge when it comes to ANY food preparation is baking. I do not like baking and avoid it at all costs. If you want cake or cookies in my house, you will have to settle for whatever came from the Kroger bakery or freezer section. A fresh loaf of homemade bread? Forget about it.

It's not that I haven't tried all of these things (and more). It's just I'm terrible at it and whatever I'm making never turns out the way it's supposed to. I gave up even attempting baked goods long ago.

One exception is making 3-ingredient (peanut butter, sugar, egg) peanut butter cookies. But, of course, the main reason I chose that recipe is because it's easy and not labor-intensive. Because there are only 3 ingredients, I was very skeptical the first time I made them. But they are amazing. My son went bananas over them.
Do you mind sharing that peanut butter cookie recipe?

Do you mind sharing that peanut butter cookie recipe?
Not at all. It's super simple.

• 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Mix peanut butter, sugar, and egg together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Flatten each with a fork, making a criss-cross pattern. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
Bake in the preheated oven until edges are firm, about 10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet briefly before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

It makes around 2 dozen, although that depends on how big or small the cookie balls are. Sometimes I'll double the recipe.

I find the biggest challenge just the relentlessness. Multiple times every day, gotta feed the family.

Leftovers probably keep me sane.

Ditto, thymeless!

And it's just me! well, and a dog and two cats who stare at me every time I lift my hand to my mouth. :( They not only stare but whine and yowl to make the stares noticeable.

Cheese and crackers are probably what keep me sane.

For the first time ever, (following marriage), I found myself having to make a roast chicken dinner. (Roast chicken, stuffing, roast potatoes, peas, carrots and gravy). Getting all of those things on the table at one time proved a real trial! (I can do it almost in my sleep now, but the timing is crucial!)

Not at all. It's super simple.

• 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Mix peanut butter, sugar, and egg together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Flatten each with a fork, making a criss-cross pattern. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
Bake in the preheated oven until edges are firm, about 10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet briefly before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

It makes around 2 dozen, although that depends on how big or small the cookie balls are. Sometimes I'll double the recipe.
I just looked at that recipe again. Is it right that there is no flour in this?

I just looked at that recipe again. Is it right that there is no flour in this?
That is correct. No flour. Just peanut butter, sugar and egg.

As I mentioned, I was very skeptical about this recipe, since there's no flour or any other ingredients besides the 3 listed. But these cookies really surprised me. They are absolutely delicious. They're now the only peanut butter cookies I'll make.

Back
Top Bottom