What do you think is the most challenging thing in cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Linda, I know your pain! I gave up and just get a "good" store bought version!
I gave up as well.

I'm honestly not too crazy about store-bought potato salad (macaroni salad is even worse) with the exception of Meijer's Amish potato salad (amazing stuff) and Reser's potato salad, when I can find it. Those are the only two I'll buy.

I get Sainsburys "Taste the Difference Charlotte Potato Salad". It's pretty good. Proper chunks of potato (skin on), in a rich mayo with chives. I can't make better!

I get Sainsburys "Taste the Difference Charlotte Potato Salad". It's pretty good. Proper chunks of potato (skin on), in a rich mayo with chives. I can't make better!
That sounds pretty tasty :yum:

My mom always made good potato salad. And I guess maybe I've just been trying to duplicate hers over the years. But I can't do it.

It's annoying isn't it? There seems no reason I can't make a decent potato salad. Though now we are talking about it, I guess the potato type seems to be the main reason. I never used Charlotte potatoes before and they are really good at staying in one piece. Maybe I will have a go this year! (I am trying to grow some too, so it could be a double whammy or a total disaster! LOL)

Last edited:
It's annoying isn't it? There seems no reason I can't make a decent potato salad. Though now we are talking about it, I guess the potato type seems to be the main reason. I never used Charlotte potatoes before and they are really good at staying in one piece. Maybe I will have a go this year! (I am trying to grow some too, so it could be a double whammy or a total disaster! LOL)
I've tried different types of potatoes, different recipes, different seasonings, etc etc etc. That's why I've given up. I don't get it either.

You are not inspiring me Linda! LOL But I will try one more time with my own home grown potatoes! (If I get any that is - my gardening skills are not fantastic!) I will report back.

You are not inspiring me Linda! LOL But I will try one more time with my own home grown potatoes! (If I get any that is - my gardening skills are not fantastic!) I will report back.
Yes, let me know how that turns out. Although, in my experience, it's not the potato that's used. It's the seasoning and the amount of mayonnaise, etc.

Although the potato is part of it - I don't think it is the crucial. The cooking of the potato is a different matter though. As mentioned, not quite cooked or cooked too much. Of the two, I prefer cooked a bit too much.

Katy, whichever mix of mayo and spices you use, have them prepared ahead of time. When the potatoes are done/drained/dried add the mix while the potatoes are still warm.

Yellow mustard is the secret for good potato salad, I think. No matter how much seasoned salt, paprika, Colman's dry mustard, dill, etc I used, it never tasted just right. Now I use half mayo/half Greek yogurt, a few shakes of seasoned salt, and a generous amount of yellow mustard - just not all at once. While I always include celery and hard cooked eggs, seldom do I add pickles, etc any more. I still add paprika, but usually as a dusting across the top to make it look pretty.

No mustard for me, thanks!

My secret is peeling the cooked potatoes when they are still too hot to handle. Sprinkle the hot potatoes with a splash of apple cider vinegar and plenty of salt. Then add black pepper, minced celery, hard boiled eggs, onion and a little too much mayonnaise.

Sometimes I add chopped bell pepper and a little sour cream to the dressing.

These days I only use two or three potatoes and it’s a breeze compared to the days when I started with a five pound bag of potatoes.

When I make my internationally renowned, world famous ranch potato salad, I peel and cube the potatoes before I cook them. They cook faster and more evenly that way. Also, I use sour cream in place of yogurt as I prefer it. I use a cucumber instead of celery as I dislike celery.

I make mine pretty much the same way I make tuna, chicken, or egg salad. I usually peel the potatoes before cooking them. That way it takes off more of that thin layer near the skin that seems to have the most solanine (solanine bothers my arthritis.) Then I add diced celery, chopped scallions, and enough mayo to barely make it hang together. Potato salad usually wants some salt as does egg salad. Chicken and tuna salad don't seem to want or need as much salt. I can't remember ever needing to add salt to tuna salad.

taxy... best one yet!

OK, guys? Listen up... first of all ... I am NOT going to buy waxy potatoes for "this" and dry potatoes for "that" and another potato to roast, or bake, or mash... Tarnation! I buy ONE bag of potatoes and make with them what ever is on the list!
No, potatoes are not the most expensive vegie on the list but to buy 2/3 different kinds? Nope - ain't happening in my world.

I forgot to mention that for potato salad, I usually add a bit of cider vinegar. A friend said that he likes his potato salad with Miracle Whip, because it was tangier than mayo. Well, I refuse to use Miracle Whip, so I make it tangier with ACV. I have to say, I do like the way it tastes with the ACV better. So did my friend.

Although the potato is part of it - I don't think it is the crucial.
I agree but different potatoes will give different results.

For a traditional potato salad I prefer new waxy run of the mill white or red skin potatoes.

I use planned leftover baking potatoes to make a rough salad, think twice baked.

I bake a couple of extra potatoes and scoop them out of the skins in rough chunks while they are still warm. I continue with my basic potato salad recipe and chill overnight.

It’s sort of a compromise that gives me a big start on the next days lunch or dinner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom