What Are Your Other Interests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I craft adult dollhouse miniatures. This involves petit point on the scale of at least 40x40 stitches per square inch, tiny crochet thread (think almost sewing thread), building furniture with balsa wood using Dremmel tools, tiny paint brushes, etc. Right now, I'm crocheting a set of "chain maille" for a knight, think fantasy medieval, with a 0.9mm hook, which is actually too big for the thread since I want a loose crochet stitch to simulate chain maille. Pants are done. I'll start on the torso part today, then the hood. Waiting for some silvery colored silk that should be delivered today for his undergarments.

Projects in line are 2 ladies, a male dragon rider in leather flying gear, a wizard in same genre as the knight, plus an evil witch for a haunted house and some dressed skeletons for the same haunted house.

There is also a Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the Harry Potter precursor, project I'm working on as well, using Newt's suitcase idea.

If I get frustrated or bored with working on 1 project, I just switch to another.

Last edited:
I'm interested in any kind of science and lots of stuff about indigenous people, in particular about Turtle Island (North America) indigenous people and Saami, the indigenous people of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. And, why yes, I do have Saami heritage, that being the reason for this interest. Also, as I have found many other older people also have this interest, I have developed an interest in genealogy.

Student of nutrition I had already noticed. So, since you are interested in nutrition and one aspect of anthropology, I'll share this link with you.
I agree with the author of your link that 47% protein intake was probably high, that's a lot of protein and also suspect the fat intake was higher than 33%. In those geographical regions of Scandinavia they are basically using reindeer as the main protein source along with reindeer diary. In summer months an average reindeer is going to have 20-40kg's of fat and of course more plant material would have been consumed during this time to prepare for winter as well, humans would if they could also add body fat, which was an evolutionary adaption that our cousins the chimps and bonobos didn't have which was vital for our survival in times of starvation and food scarcity.

The winter months in that area is a different ballgame and reindeer would have doubled their fat stores for those winter months having up to 80+ kg of fat and humans would have also had less to almost no plant material for that time and would have relied on mostly reindeer and their milk which is full of fat. Basically I'm just saying that I don't think the Sami ate a diet with 47% protein and 33% fat. Also, like most H-G'ers from similar latitudes animal protein was the main source of calories which is pretty basic and well understood. If I remember correctly the average macronutrient ratio from the ethnographical atlas of the over 200 H-G'er sites found and tested the breakdown was about 65/35 animal/plant. So yeah, most of human existence has been a situation where lower carb would be normal, but there would have been exceptions. Just a very basic answer.

Last edited:
I'm interested in any kind of science and lots of stuff about indigenous people, in particular about Turtle Island (North America) indigenous people and Saami, the indigenous people of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. And, why yes, I do have Saami heritage, that being the reason for this interest. Also, as I have found many other older people also have this interest, I have developed an interest in genealogy.
One of our local artists, Oren Lyons, did this Tree of Peace painting with the turtle symbolizing Mother Earth.

1713697942648.jpeg

@taxlady you might want to take a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

The founder is a Doctor Andreas Eenfeldt who is Swedish and the website offers a lot of information and one of my go to sites.
Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it. I guess that doctor wasn't one of the Swedish doctors and scientists who were bashing low carb diets, back when people had heard about Atkins, but the term keto, wasn't really in use.

That blog post I shared was in part a response to that bashing. There were people saying that the Saami diet was a good example of health benefits from low carb. The nutritionists, doctors, etc. who were bashing low carb, were saying that studies showed the Saami weren't healthier than average Swedes, so bah humbug to low carb. However, as the blog post points out, the Saami mostly eat a much more "westernized" diet nowadays.

Why do you say that?

ps, been reading both those articles on Keto and Saami. Good reading.
Partly it can be a minefield when someone who is not indigenous is trying to pass it off as indigenous created. There are also people who use indigenous designs to earn money, but give no credit or royalties to the bands/tribes.

Photography! I enjoy taking photos of lightning and visitors to my yard. I played trumpet and belonged to Bugles Across America (Playing live Taps for free for Veterans final honors ceremonies). Cooking and food topics are my real passion though... Loved nutritional challenges feeding guests!
DSC_5713 copy.JPG
DSC_2254.jpeg
DSC_2169.JPG

Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it. I guess that doctor wasn't one of the Swedish doctors and scientists who were bashing low carb diets, back when people had heard about Atkins, but the term keto, wasn't really in use.

That blog post I shared was in part a response to that bashing. There were people saying that the Saami diet was a good example of health benefits from low carb. The nutritionists, doctors, etc. who were bashing low carb, were saying that studies showed the Saami weren't healthier than average Swedes, so bah humbug to low carb. However, as the blog post points out, the Saami mostly eat a much more "westernized" diet nowadays.
Low carb has been vilified for quite a long time simply because it doesn't fit into the modern concept of a balanced diet, regardless that it's been the way humans actually ate for most of our existence with the exception of the last 12,000 years or so and even then many indigenous peoples around the world still ate that way until fairly recently, being the last 200 years or so and some still do and enjoy some pretty good health as a result.

The basic problem now is low carb and ketogenic diets creates a problem for the food and medical industrial complex's and that being profit, money, it always comes down to money and market share. Low carb and ketogenic diets and there's also a few other diets that result in a few things that are problematic and just keeping it simple and not going into too much detail it's mainly because it removes almost all ultra processed and processed foods, which leaves out the lions share of products in the grocery stores and when people eat a more whole food diet peoples health improves which translates into less medication and health implications that require medical intervention.

The actual science that supports theses assertions that low carb is not healthy are weak and easily criticized, it's just not something your going to see much in main stream media, which for the most part is brought to us by Pfizer, and this may sound conspiracy theory territory, but it's not. Most authorities are finally now recognizing that low carb/ketogenic diets are very effective at not only slowing down but reversing many of the non communicable diseases like diabetes, fatty liver, etc, so it is changing, slowly. I suggest if you want to keep discussing this topic that you start a new thread because I don't think many people really want to be sidetracked. :)

I don't think many people really want to be sidetracked.
You are probably right. I like the idea of a thread to discuss this stuff. But, at the moment, I simply have too much on my plate. My brain is not functioning at full capacity either, so I won't be starting that thread any time soon and I'm not sure I will remember to start it when things settle down.

Some interesting comments on this thread. In our country, according to govt figures, around 6%of the population (over 60s) have diabetes type 2, mainly caused by incorrect dietary habits, (too much pasta/bread, other sugary foods). I've always been of the opinion that we should eat "a bit of everything" in moderation, without exaggerating in any particular food product. Mind you, due to my low-sodium/low-cholesterol diet, I've started using more cereals, high-Fibre food and I've cut down drastically on animal fats and matured cheeses, and no coffee/tea. I never thought I'd find myself eating low-fat white yogurt and oats for breakfast (but I'm learning the tricks on how to make them tastier and more appealing, and I'm actually getting to like them. I'm discovering a whole new world, with a bit of imagination, it's a delicious world🙂.
Advertisements everywhere are bombarding us with "eat healthy" slogans, supermarket aisles are loaded with "alternatives" and "substitutes" (more costly, of course) , encouraging us to eat less refined carbs, less salt, less sugar, less animal fats, and this industry is blooming, but our pockets are not! 🤣

Some interesting comments on this thread. In our country, according to govt figures, around 6%of the population (over 60s) have diabetes type 2, mainly caused by incorrect dietary habits, (too much pasta/bread, other sugary foods). I've always been of the opinion that we should eat "a bit of everything" in moderation, without exaggerating in any particular food product. Mind you, due to my low-sodium/low-cholesterol diet, I've started using more cereals, high-Fibre food and I've cut down drastically on animal fats and matured cheeses, and no coffee/tea. I never thought I'd find myself eating low-fat white yogurt and oats for breakfast (but I'm learning the tricks on how to make them tastier and more appealing, and I'm actually getting to like them. I'm discovering a whole new world, with a bit of imagination, it's a delicious world🙂.
Advertisements everywhere are bombarding us with "eat healthy" slogans, supermarket aisles are loaded with "alternatives" and "substitutes" (more costly, of course) , encouraging us to eat less refined carbs, less salt, less sugar, less animal fats, and this industry is blooming, but our pockets are not! 🤣
Actually diabetes in the US for example is closer to 12% with another 1/3 of the population undiagnosed simply because they've not been tested and almost 50% of the population are insulin resistant and diabetes and IR are the leading cause of death, blindness and lower limb amputations.

Most of this comes down to diet and lifestyle. Americans consume over 60% of their calories from ultra processed foods and closer to 80% if we include processed food and over 40% of the population are actually obese with another 30% that are only classified as overweight, so basically 70% of the US population is overweight or obese and where 85% of that population have either insulin resistance or diabetes. Diabetes is a blood sugar, insulin problem and with continual spiking of blood sugar from this type of high carbohydrate diet multiple times a day and then over the course of years eventually the whole system breaks down and the beta cells in the pancreas just can't accommodate the amount of blood sugar that needs to be removed in a timely fashion. The more Italy adopts this lifestyle the more diabetes and obesity your going to see.

"Foods" engineered to be hyperpalatable is the foundation of ultra processed foods which typically are a combination of carbohydrates, sugar, fat and salt which triggers the brains reward system which interferes with the body's ability to regulate appetite and satiety which encourages excessive eating, this isn't rocket science, it's a well documented fact and has been for decades. Our evolutionary adaptive abilities that helped us survive are now turning out to be our nemesis, isn't that special.

Last edited:
You are probably right. I like the idea of a thread to discuss this stuff. But, at the moment, I simply have too much on my plate. My brain is not functioning at full capacity either, so I won't be starting that thread any time soon and I'm not sure I will remember to start it when things settle down.

Anyone can start a thread. Pictonguy suggested a new thread, I suggest he starts it.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom