What are some of the dumbest, most impractical "facts" or advice you've heard on a cooking show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have cut resistent gloves and use one of those when I use my V-slicer. I seldom use the guard. But, I always wear that glove.
I was going to suggest that, too, as I use a kevlar glove whenever using that V-cutter. The only other times I use that glove is when boning some things, as that's when it can get awkward, with some things.

I was going to suggest that, too, as I use a kevlar glove whenever using that V-cutter. The only other times I use that glove is when boning some things, as that's when it can get awkward, with some things.
Sometimes I wear the glove (I think mine is kevlar too) when shredding carrots, etc. I don't always bother, but if I'm hurrying or feeling clumsy, I'll put it on.

I was going to start a thread about TV chefs. The one you dislike the most. I will start with Kevin Belton.
I find him annoying and the finished products don't look that great.
His joking around also bugs me. It reminds me of Alton Brown whose humor is just as annoying.
But at least Brown is a serious pro and it shows.

I was going to start a thread about TV chefs. The one you dislike the most. I will start with Kevin Belton.
I find him annoying and the finished products don't look that great.
His joking around also bugs me. It reminds me of Alton Brown whose humor is just as annoying.
But at least Brown is a serious pro and it shows.
I agree. We will very occasionally watch him if there is nothing else on or if what he is going to make looks like it is interesting, but he always overcooks the seafood he makes, some other things as well, and I might use an idea, but would never use any of his recipes.

i use my mandoline all the time but never with the guard. pretty much because of the leftover stuff that i put through the mandoline without the guard.

i use a glove instead.

"You can speed up the caramelizing of onions in 5 minutes." I've heard this claim on various TV shows and online videos, but anyone who's tried to caramelize onions knows that true caramelization is a slow process, often taking 30 minutes or more.

You've never open a can? Why being so sarcastic?
Charlie, she had a show on the Food Network called Semi-Homemade. The vast majority of her cooking involved opening cans and/or using other prepared foods, with elaborate table and room decor to fit the current show theme. It was a joke of a cooking show, basically a vanity program. Her  decor cost way more than the food.

I think the title says it all. "Semi-Homemade" (disclaimer - I don't think I've ever actually seen any of her shows, at least not that I can remember).

There was a time, when more as women joined the work force, who had children at home, many husbands still expected a hot meal on the table for supper, to be cooked by her as soon as she got home.

In the 60's and well into the 70's before "foodies" became a thing, cans in the casserole were well received and wanted. So although all that was well before her time, there are still plenty of people, men and students included, who welcome "open a can of this and dump in with that and presto! dinner's ready!"

JMHO

I think the title says it all. "Semi-Homemade" (disclaimer - I don't think I've ever actually seen any of her shows, at least not that I can remember).

There was a time, when more as women joined the work force, who had children at home, many husbands still expected a hot meal on the table for supper, to be cooked by her as soon as she got home.

In the 60's and well into the 70's before "foodies" became a thing, cans in the casserole were well received and wanted. So although all that was well before her time, there are still plenty of people, men and students included, who welcome "open a can of this and dump in with that and presto! dinner's ready!"

JMHO
There have to be millions of recipes on the internet, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (X) today. People are still dang proud of their recipes with cans of Campbell's soup as the main ingredient.

...In the 60's and well into the 70's before "foodies" became a thing, cans in the casserole were well received and wanted. So although all that was well before her time, there are still plenty of people, men and students included, who welcome "open a can of this and dump in with that and presto! dinner's ready!"

JMHO
I had to laugh, when reading this! In the end of the 70s, when I was really getting into cooking (mainly to save money, but I found out it was a lot better, in most cases), and started collecting those cookbooks, at those huge book sales they had down at school, many, if not most, cookbooks back then (and well after) had cans of tomato soup, or, the one I saw most, cream of mushroom soup, in the ingredients. And the baked recipes had boxed things like cake or cookie mixes in the ingredients, or refrigerated things, like biscuits, as an ingredient. I learned quickly to look in the index in the books, to find out if these things were used! Plus, I was looking for recipes for some of those new (to me) ingredients I was finding in the co-op, which normally weren't in those books.

I must admit I tried making a recipe using Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup and I wasn't too happy with it. I usually make sauces from scratch and I guess I am used to that taste/texture? That said, I also tried making home made mayonnaise, and it was fine - but I still prefer a jar of Hellman's any day!!

I think a lot depends on nostalgia, and your changing taste over the years.

I did get a cut resistant glove, but after about 3 uses, it had shredded. Maybe there are better versions and I should have spent more. (I can't remember how much it cost - it was a few years ago - but maybe I should have another look.)

I must admit I tried making a recipe using Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup and I wasn't too happy with it. I usually make sauces from scratch and I guess I am used to that taste/texture? That said, I also tried making home made mayonnaise, and it was fine - but I still prefer a jar of Hellman's any day!!

I think a lot depends on nostalgia, and your changing taste over the years.
Growing up, my mom mixed canned tuna fish and canned cream of mushroom soup with some milk and noodles, then topped with crushed potato chips (crisps in the UK) and baked it (tuna casserole). It was usually served with green peas. It was actually pretty good. I make an elevated version of it as an adult using tuna steaks and homemade cream of mushroom soup (with real heavy cream, not a roux) with egg noodles (I could make my own noodles too I suppose but I don't). I like to top that casserole with French-fried onions. I still like it served with green peas.

Mom would also sometimes mix that tuna and mushroom soup with green peas in a saucepan and serve it over buttered toast. It wasn't bad, either (either that or I was always just really hungry as a kid).

Those were 2 inexpensive ways to feed 6 kids...

Sorry for the off-topic!

We make a dish with cream of mushroom soup, which is actually pretty good. B/S chicken, you can use bone in, but then you have to cut around the bone to eat. COM soup is mixed with a half cup of white wine or broth. Chicken in a greased baking dish, 4 thighs or equivalent, a slice of swiss cheese on each, COM soup mixture poured on top, about a cup of crushed dry stuffing mix sprinkled on top, drizzled with 3 Tbsp melted butter. Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes. Serve over buttered noodles with a green vegetable.

We make a dish with cream of mushroom soup, which is actually pretty good. B/S chicken, you can use bone in, but then you have to cut around the bone to eat. COM soup is mixed with a half cup of white wine or broth. Chicken in a greased baking dish, 4 thighs or equivalent, a slice of swiss cheese on each, COM soup mixture poured on top, about a cup of crushed dry stuffing mix sprinkled on top, drizzled with 3 Tbsp melted butter. Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes. Serve over buttered noodles with a green vegetable.
Yeah I'd eat that!

I think a lot of people who ate casseroles with Campbell's soup in them growing up think of it as comfort food. Brings back memories of mom!

I really don't remember my mum using canned soup or veg with two exceptions that I can remember. One was in a very easy stew for the Girl Sprouts to make (canned green beans, potatoes, and maybe caned corn, plus fresh stuff). The other was that she would make potato salad or pan fried potatoes with canned potatoes. She did often use canned vegis as the vegi portion of a veg-starch-protein supper. Though more often than not, the starch was boiled or fried potatoes. She also served canned soups as soup.

Comfort food at it's best! medtran, would you mind posting it as a separate recipe, pretty please?

In 1960, Peg Bracken wrote the "I Hate To Cook Book". The classic tuna/mushroom soup casserole, complete with peas, was one of her featured recipes for 'little kids parties'.

In 1968, Campbell's published "A Campbell Cookbook: Cooking WIth Soup". Yes, it included Peg Bracken's Tuna Mushroom Soup Casserole. Pantries all around the country were well stocked with C.O.Mushrrom, C.O.Chicken, C.O.Celery, and many others. Canned Beef Consume was used for beef stock in the recipes; cake was made with C.O.Tomato soup: "Sweedish" meatballs were cooked in CO Celery soup.

I have long since given away my tattered copy of the Campbell's Cookbook, but I still have this:

20230825_205420.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom