The "Show Us What You Got" One Pot Cooking Challenge (NOT a Contest!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
The idea of some challenges came up in another thread, and I volunteered to get this party started.

I decided to do a One-Pot Challenge as the first one, because it seems like something simple, that everyone can participate in, without it being complicated or expensive... or anything else that would turn people off.

As promised, minimal rules.

Rule one: Come up with something you can make, from scratch (no Hamburger Helper), that can be cooked in one pot, pan, casserole dish, wok, tagine... whatever. One cooking vessel of your choice.

Rule two: Have fun!!! ...and try to challenge your imagination and cooking skills. Play with your food, and share something new with your fellow foodies.

No time limit, but if we drag this out too long, people will lose interest. Just keep that in mind. I'm hoping we can have a significant number of good entries over the next month??? Of course, people can add to this thing for years, which I see as bonus.

If this works out, I'll keep doing it -- with your input, of course.

CD

So it’s just that it has to cook in one vessel, like soup or chili or stew? Or a sheet pan? But we can use more than one gadget (food processor,etc) to prep?

I like to make American goulash. Brown a pound of hamburger in a pot (I do take it out to drain, then return it to the pot). Then I add two jars of spaghetti sauce, a cup of small shells, whatever spices I want to try out, a cup of beef broth, and a can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, and then let simmer until the noodles are tender, maybe 35 minutes. Then I remove the pot from the stove and stir in two cups of shredded cheese until that melts. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Is this sort of what you're looking for or is it too hamburger helper like? Or do I have to make the sauce from scratch, too? What about crock pots?

Last edited:
Let's get going!
Can we fry something in a pan, then take it out and use the same pan (cleaned or uncleaned) to cook something else?
Then towards the end, put it all back together?

So it’s just that it has to cook in one vessel, like soup or chili or stew? Or a sheet pan? But we can use more than one gadget (food processor,etc) to prep?

You can use all the gadgets and tools you want. But, just one cooking vessel, of your choice, which does include a sheet pan.

CD

Is this sort of what you're looking for or is it too hamburger helper like? Or do I have to make the sauce from scratch, too? What about crock pots?

honestly, I'm not "looking" for anything. Do your thing. A crock pot is a cooking vessel, so that meats rule number one. As for the "hamburger helper" thing, you know what I mean. The goal here is to get us thinking and cooking, whatever that means to everyone. I love American Goulash. If you have a good recipe, enter it!

CD

Oh, I think I said this in another thread, but if you can, post a photo of what you cook. We all love to look at food photos. A blurry phone camera photo is fine. I'm a professional photographer, and at least half of my photos here are crappy phone camera photos.

CD

I vote for @blissful’s oven roasted sheet pan veggie hash.

It’s an easy inexpensive recipe that can be put together with whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand.

A selection of cubed sweet potatoes, cubed, white potatoes, diced red pepper, diced carrots, diced baby Bella mushrooms, and diced onions, etc…

Toss with a squirt of cooking spray and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 400 deg F, stir every 15 minutes until the onions begin to char and the potatoes start to brown.

My second choice would be Peg Bracken’s Stay a Bed Stew.

View attachment 70395

A lot has happened since 1960, today I cut the meat down to half a pound, use frozen peas, add a few mushrooms, etc…

Show me a picture. Something cooked long time ago may be good, but what this Texas boy wants to see is something cooked today, so I can imagine eating it today.

C'mon people. This is a challenge. Cook something now, and share it with us.

If I am going to do this on a regular basis, Y'all hafta' put some effort into it. Enter something you cooked today!

I honestly don't think I am asking too much. This forum is full of really good cooks. Show us what you got.

Last edited:
I'll have to put on my thinking brain-storming hat when I get back and see what I can do. Will be super difficult as I'm almost strictly a recipe follower.
I'm not very inventive - or at least, I might be inventive but more often it is not edible! :unhappy: :sick:

I'll have to put on my thinking brain-storming hat when I get back and see what I can do. Will be super difficult as I'm almost strictly a recipe follower.
I'm not very inventive - or at least, I might be inventive but more often it is not edible! :unhappy: :sick:

Hey, you go girl!

That's the whole reason for this thing. Make your brain work. Cook!

CD

Show me a picture. Something cooked long time ago may be good, but what this Texas boy wants to see is something cooked today, so I can imagine eating it today.

C'mon people. This is a challenge. Cook something now, and share it with us.

If I am going to do this on a regular basis, Y'all hafta' put some effort into it. Enter something you cooked today!

I honestly don't think I am asking too much. This forum is full of really good cooks. Show us what you got.
I apologize, I misunderstood what this was about.

I had some sourdough discard and used it to make some dough.
Not the best, I think I overproofed it.
Cooking vessel was a pizza stone :)
IMG_20240820_175643_001.jpg

Simple pizza, more leaning towards flamkuchen
IMG_20240820_180125_473.jpg

And the ingredients
IMG_20240820_173949_938.jpg

I was trying to use up a thawed chicken breast, so I had that instead of the goulash. I'm make the goulash tomorrow and take a pic, although all it will look like is shells in spaghetti sauce. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom