Question about cooking hamburger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use/have used a Tupperware strainer to brown and drain the ground beef. I simply put the ground beef in the strainer, over a bowl to catch the liquid and fat, and process it in the nuker until done. Perfect every time and my trusty strainer still lives on, none the worse for wear. Still looks as good as new.

Here is what it looks like: View attachment 70394
Interesting. I have never cooked ground beef in the microwave.

I'm assuming you break it all up first? How long does it take to cook and on what setting?

Interesting. I have never cooked ground beef in the microwave.

I'm assuming you break it all up first? How long does it take to cook and on what setting?

Microwave burger meat is great, and it can be kind of chewy.

CD

But how do you do it?

I have mostly used my microwave for a burger if I pan seared it and found it was way undercooked. Into the MW for 15 seconds at a time until It is done to my liking. That works out fine. I cooked a burger from raw in the MW once, and it was a grey, chewy, shrunken hockey puck.

CD

I have mostly used my microwave for a burger if I pan seared it and found it was way undercooked. Into the MW for 15 seconds at a time until It is done to my liking. That works out fine. I cooked a burger from raw in the MW once, and it was a grey, chewy, shrunken hockey puck.

CD
That's what I was thinking, that it wouldn't be a very good texture.

I think, though, although I could be wrong, Katie H meant she cooks like a whole pound of ground beef in the microwave in her strainer.

It all depends on the quality of meat.
Steak tartare is raw, carpaccio is raw, filet americaine is raw (semi raw, it contains curing salt), biltong is raw.

Solid cut of beef typically are only effected on the surface by a knife or cutting board. Which ground beef, and bacteria on the outer surface of the beef gets ground into the beef.

With a beef steak, the sear on the outside will kill the bacteria, even on a medium rare steak. With ground beef, it is best to cook your burger all the way through to medium well or better.

If you grind your own meat, and sanitize all your equipment well, your ground beef is lower risk than cheep, factory processed ground beef, where sanitary practices may, or may not be of the highest standards.

[Edited to clarify I'm referring to beef, and not just any meat]

CD
Even if you grind your own beef, there is still a risk of contamination during the butchering. E. Coli is a big risk.

That's why ground beef recalls include so much meat.
I simply read it as the "beef recalls include meat".
Well, of course, beef IS meat.
Um...huh? I just meant that when you hear about recalls of hamburger, it's usually a multitude of states and tons of beef being recalled.
and yes, that now makes much more sense to me. LOL I just accused someone else of speed reading and mis-interpreting, ...and then I do it.
So the laugh is on me!

Only time I've cooked ground meat in the micro is when it is frozen and I'm scraping off the parts that end iup getting cooked. Works well if it is a particularly thick/round piece of frozen meat.
I haven't done it in a very long time but it works.

I simply read it as the "beef recalls include meat".
Well, of course, beef IS meat.

and yes, that now makes much more sense to me. LOL I just accused someone else of speed reading and mis-interpreting, ...and then I do it.
So the laugh is on me!
I thought it was meant as a comical comment as well and read it the same way you did :whistling

Back
Top Bottom