The Good & The Bad Of The Prepared Meals That Have Graced Your Table (Or TV Tray)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
We were talking about prepared meals in another thread and the thought struck me to start another thread strictly to discuss any sort, any brand, frozen, shelf-stable, what have you. And then what about those meals that you prep specifically for a later meal and freeze it?
Good ones
Bad ones
Store bought
Gifted meals

I'll start it off:

IMG_4415.JPG

I don't recall if I posted this linner (late linch/early dinner) in another thread or not, but oh well ...
This is a purchased frozen Chicken Pot Pie for two.
I got this at our local Farm, where they do some Farm To Table goods now... it was tasty and all's I had to do was cover it in tin foil and bake it. Oh well, I added a Chopped Salad to round out the veggie component ...

I can't remember the last time I bought a prepared meal, other than soup in a can. I bought a couple of Progresso soups, and didn't like them. They had a metallic taste to them. I do/did like Campbell's New England Clam Chowder, although I haven't had any in years.

I also like Stouffer's Mac and cheese. I usually have some in the freezer. Not really a meal, although I sometimes add some steamed broccoli and make a meal of it. I always have frozen broccoli on hand.

Prepared meals are often sodium bombs, so I have to avoid them, but it is no big loss, because I find most of them to be mediocre, at best.

CD

Like @caseydog I can't remember the last time I had a "ready meal".
Not a lot of choice here.

Only thing that comes to mind are samoosa's/spring rolls and they weren't very nice. Acceptable, but not special

Only thing that comes to mind are samoosa's/spring rolls and they weren't very nice. Acceptable, but not special

I do keep frozen egg rolls in the freezer, but I don't consider them a meal. They are snacks for when I'm watching football or surfing the internet.

CD

Preared meals are often sodium bombs, so I have to avoid them, but it is no big loss, because I find most of them to be mediocre, at best.
I was getting frozen meals from Jewish Family Services. I like to call them the JDL (Jewish Defence League) because it was easier to remember, and Traditions meals from Serving Seniors. Neither are very flavorful, or very filling, and they do not season anything. Most of the meals were less than 300 calories. I also tried Factor 75 meals, which were pretty much just like the Traditions meals, but they were perfectly seasoned. They were also very expensive.

I quit Factor 75 because of the cost, JDL stopped delivering meals when the pandemic ended and I give most of what's in the Traditions box to neighbors. I prefer to cook for myself, even though I have been doing it for so long it's become boring.

Have to agree with casey & Badjak, on the egg roll things. Although I've made a dinner of them usually because I just can't be bothered to think abut cooking.
I often do frozen appetizers for just that reason. None of them are to write home about.

There are two frozen prepared foods that I love.
1725799870204.jpeg
It comes in a smaller size as well and I should probably buy that one as, although I always say I will only eat half.... gobble gobble gone. It is not frozen but has an incredibly long shelf life.

A frozen food I love is a Walmart product. Frozen Salt & Pepper Calamari rings. There are also baronets which I get as the rings are not always found. Also found that not all Walmart's carry them, guess it's a supply and demand thing. Haven't found them recently.

We get the Tovala meals and they have been okay to really good for the most part. There's a couple that Craig really dislikes, 1 that I strongly disagree with, and thought the other was edible, bit didn't really want again.

We've liked the InnovAsian meals, as well as the Bertolli bag meals we've tried. Various kinds of stuffed chicken from Barber Foods that come in packages of 2. I have to cook 2 for Craig, 1 for me, plus I add some kind of starch and a vege that have to be cooked. We tried a new product to our grocery recently, Tuscan Kitchen, pretty sure it was the bolognese. It was great!

Publix, our grocery has a really nice grab and go section. The salad meals I've gotten have been good, and the Cuban roast pork with black beans and rice was quite good.

@medtran49 When we were along the SouthEast, I tried to get our evening meals from Publix and simply re-heated them in our hotel rooms.
IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

We really enjoyed their Sushi. I always have my "traveling kitchen" handy when we take road trips.

IMG_5014.JPG

We loved Publix!!
These two Salmon dishes were from the refrigerated section at Publix ... very tasty.
I found the nutritional info for the sweet chili salmon:

Nutrition Facts​

Serving Size 1.0
Servings Per Container

• Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 380
  • Total Fat 12g 18%daily value
  • Total Fat
  • Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%daily value
  • Total FatTrans Fat 0g
  • Cholesterol 60mg 20%daily value
  • Sodium 610mg 25%daily value
  • Total Carbohydrate 40g 13%daily value
  • Total Carbohydrate Dietary Fiber 3g 12%daily value
  • Total Carbohydrate Sugars 8g
  • Protein 29g

Not horrible ...

Made more food than DH & I really needed for one meal, on purpose!

IMG_4437.JPG

We're going over to my Mom's place tomorrow to take her to her "beautification appointment" aka hair dresser for a wash & style.
I figured we'd take her dinner for tomorrow as well (I do this alot).
Here we have grilled Hawaiian-Style Guava Chicken and Char Siu Chicken, along with some of my homemade Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (or kimchi, whatever) and that always present steamed White Rice.

Gifted Food

I also made up another meal for DH & I to have later on down the road ...

IMG_4438.JPG

Make ahead prepared meal, always a winner winner chicken dinner (I couldn't resist :LOL:)

Nothing fancy or exotic to report.

I usually have a few Stouffer’s or Michaelanglo entrees in the freezer.

I still buy a Hungry Man classic fried chicken or turkey dinner once in a while.

In the winter I’ll bake an inexpensive Banquet turkey pot pie and a baked potato.

There is usually an inexpensive on sale
double coupon thin crust frozen pizza in the freezer.

Not much in the pantry, Hormel Compleat entrees, canned soups, or Chef Boyardee canned ravioli.

None of it is very exciting but, for me, it’s a better value than the more spendy delivery options.

A bowl of cereal or a couple of eggs and a slice of toast is probably a better option.

What started out as a snack yesterday ended up being the "early bird special"
I timed it exactly as suggested but still found the rings a bit on the chewy side, tasty but not tender. The tentacles however were perfect, were nice and tender not chewy at all. The Sriracha Aioli was very mild - to the point it was rather disappointing.
1725882080332.png

Don't remember exactly which store I got them in but I know it wasn't Walmart and is not the dish I have mentioned before. (see post #8).

Oh, the Marie Callender's
chicken pot pie, not the smallest one but the next size up, which I think they call the dinner size. The smallest one has too much pastry to filling ratio. The size I like is just about right for me, and I can pretty much finish it in 1 meal, maybe leaving some pastry, and be full.

Craig tried the shepherd's pie once...

OMG - medtran, you've just reminded me of the 'PG" (which stands for Plaisir Gastronomique) series of pies. They are fresh in a cooler case but freeze beautifully. I love their Chicken and Mushroom and the Spinach. These use a Puff Pastry not your regular pie crusts.
They have a huge line of products which I have not had. But I think it would be safe to say that most of them are quite delicious.
They are mostly in Quebec, some stores in Ontario carry them and there are one or two out west.

Personally, I find that artisanally made ready meals and ready sides are usually the best. Those are also where I can find the minimally processed stuff and the stuff that is made of food with few or no weird chemical additives. Yes, I do include the farm-made offerings to be artisanal.

Back
Top Bottom