Saturday, June 1, 2024, what are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Tovala meals. Italian sausage and caponata for Craig. Alfredo gnocchi with roasted mushrooms for me. I made some mini loaves with garlic-herb dipping oil.
20240601_200521.jpg

I finally finished the chicken Stroganoff. It was still delicious. I had some of the herbs and asparagus salad I made to go with the lobster. I made a salad of a few sweet crisp lettuce leaves and some mustard greens. There was also some thinly sliced red onion and some sliced cucumber. I also had brown basmati rice.

Chicken Stroganoff, salad, asparagus salad, brown basmati rice.jpg

Belated celebrations for son's birthday. Hamburgers on the blacktop, Corn OTC, Potato salad (my contribution). Plus a delicious multi-layered chocolate cake. (from a bakery early on, was on special, DIL froze it, defrosted the day before and was one of the best store cakes I've had in ages!)
Beautiful weather.

Have to add, that because lately I've been eating my main meals much earlier in the day and not anything like the amounts as I did in one sitting - as yummy as it was - I was groaning with a bloated tummy for hours after. LOL - hopefully, lesson learned? LOL ahhh only time will tell.

That looks and sounds interesting. Do you mind sharing the recipe or the instructions?
Yes, sure.
It's pearled farro, I used about 200g, but lots of left-overs!

I cooked it in boiling water (with a pinch of salt) for 20.mins, drained it and placed it under cold running water for a few seconds (to stop it from sticking) and let it cool.

Then put it in a bowl, adding a small can of sweet corn, 1 can of mackerel, ready-cooked chick peas from a jar (half a jar) , about 8 chopped fresh cherry tomatoes, a few chopped lettuce leaves and a little salt, just mixed it altogether with EVOO, and as the Brits say: "Bob's your uncle!".
It isn't exactly cooking from skratch, because I used preserved products😁.

The last time I made it, I used mozzarella instead of mackerel.
You can vary, with almost anything you like, really. I may try it with boiled eggs next time.

Thank you Meryl. How many servings would you say that made? I haven't seen pearled farro here. I can get the one that says to cook it for 40 minutes. Would it still be a good idea to rinse that in cold water?

It was actually the canned fish that caught my attention. I'm trying to get all my calcium from my food, so I can stop taking the calcium supplements. Canned fish are often a good source of calcium and I just bought a small stash of canned sardines, etc.

Have to add, that because lately I've been eating my main meals much earlier in the day and not anything like the amounts as I did in one sitting - as yummy as it was - I was groaning with a bloated tummy for hours after. LOL - hopefully, lesson learned? LOL ahhh only time will tell.

thanks Katy... LOL - wait til you see my post on shrimp/prawn toast.... have to admit I'm a young dragn at only 79... maybe when I get to 179 I'll have learned better.

thanks Katy... LOL - wait til you see my post on shrimp/prawn toast.... have to admit I'm a young dragn at only 79... maybe when I get to 179 I'll have learned better.
Sorry Dragn. I tried to delete the post - I realised it was pathetically patronising! Can you forgive me? :wub:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom