What exactly is a chili flake or red pepper flake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
Yes, I guess it's flakes of dried chili. But is "chili flake" or "red pepper flake" a specific pepper? Does it include the seeds or not?

I have a recipe (Chinese noodle dish I wanna make, called biang biang noodles. Basically noodles in a chili oil) that calls for chili flake/red pepper flake. The problem is, I don't know what that means. I have gochugaru (Korean chili flake), Aleppo chili flake, and red pepper flakes. I am wondering which to use (or which is proper!). Or is it just totally up to my own personal taste/heat preference?

Also, I feel like my red pepper flakes have way more seeds in them than my Aleppo/gochugaru chili flake has. Is it supposed to be like this?

A long question about chili flakes! Thanks all!

Good question. I have seen a number of Chinese recipes that specify and what would be a reasonable substitute. But, that wasn't for the biang biang noodles. Maybe try looking at other recipes for those noodles.

Amazon has this:​

Sichuan Chili Flakes, 8 oz - Traditional Red Pepper Spices and Szechuan Seasoning for Thai, Korean, Mexican, and Asian Dishes, Authentic Medium Hot Flavor for Kimchi, Pizza, Tacos, or Oils by Amazing Chiles and Spices

81OUn77IaJL._SL1500_.jpg

This is the red pepper flakes I use. I put them in a pepper grinder so it is a fine powder. (I like to have even heat instead of hot spots of flakes.) Hope this helps.

red-pepper-flakes.jpg

In this case I would use a "generic" type, based on the heat you want.
Not something with too much of it's own taste like a madam jeanette (Surinam yellow).
Just cayenne orbird's eye or so

Yes, I guess it's flakes of dried chili. But is "chili flake" or "red pepper flake" a specific pepper? Does it include the seeds or not?

I have a recipe (Chinese noodle dish I wanna make, called biang biang noodles. Basically noodles in a chili oil) that calls for chili flake/red pepper flake. The problem is, I don't know what that means. I have gochugaru (Korean chili flake), Aleppo chili flake, and red pepper flakes. I am wondering which to use (or which is proper!). Or is it just totally up to my own personal taste/heat preference?

Also, I feel like my red pepper flakes have way more seeds in them than my Aleppo/gochugaru chili flake has. Is it supposed to be like this?

A long question about chili flakes! Thanks all!
The seeds have a lot of heat.

I don't think it will make a big difference. The flakes will give the dish a spicy tang. A lot will give it more heat. I'd go with the Korean flakes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom