Ruby Tuesday, June 25th, '24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Had an amazing meal done in one small(ish) pan. Another throw it all in and hope for the best, I'm beginning to impress myself!
1719359203555.png

Hamburger patty, baby potatoes, fresh broccoli, frozen peas 'n carrots, some cream of mushroom soup. (above pic already had a couple of mouthfuls gone before I got the picture, :whistling )

Potatoes boiled in the pan, towards the end I threw in the broccoli, peas 'n carrots. Drained all, started the patty, half way thru I added back the potatoes (halved), 3/4 of the way thru I added the soup (a bit of milk), when simmering added back the other vegies. Seasoned with Mrs Dash, a tiny bit of salt and white pepper.

I made a couple of "leftovers tacos." Leftover strips of pork chop, leftover diced onions and bell peppers from the fried rice cook, Mexican blend cheese, and Mateo's Hatch Chili Salsa on flour tortillas.

I'm really more aware recently of food waste, and have tried not to cook anything new until leftovers are used up.

CD

It was just too warm and humid to get very creative. We picked up groceries today and one of the reduced $1 bags was 12 avocados. So I had WW toast with avocado and salsa on it. Some zucchini apple raisin bread. Collards. Whatever works...

I'm really more aware recently of food waste, and have tried not to cook anything new until leftovers are used up.

CD
I have really tried to do so too. Not entirely successful tho. One of my problems is I see something I really would like to fix at the grocer's, get it and then not get around to fixing before they go off. All because I procrastinate about which recipe or how I'm going to fix them. I'm trying desperately to rectify that hideous and wasteful flaw!

I have really tried to do so too. Not entirely successful tho. One of my problems is I see something I really would like to fix at the grocer's, get it and then not get around to fixing before they go off. All because I procrastinate about which recipe or how I'm going to fix them. I'm trying desperately to rectify that hideous and wasteful flaw!

I have that tendency, too. But, I have improved in my ability to say "NO" to myself at the grocery store when I am about to buy something without a solid plan to cook it before anything goes bad. This is especially true with fresh produce.

CD

I had a burger on whole wheat English muffin, with lettuce, onion, deseed tomato, and a slice of dill pickle. It was a vegan, black bean and eggplant burger that I got today from Lufa Farms, with my produce and other stuff basket. It was really good. It didn't taste like meat, but it tasted meaty. Not only does it taste good, it's one of those really convenient things that you cook/reheat from frozen. I had that with some sautéed radish greens with feta and some giardiniera. Strawberries and cream for dessert.

Vegan burger on English muffin, sautéed radish greens, giardiniera.jpg
Strawberries and cream for dessert.jpg

The vegan burger:

With the inflation I'm trying to economize and I never have been very good at it where food is concerned. The logical thing would be for me to not eat out, but that's not going to happen because I like to get out.

I've been watching a lot of YouTubes and trying some of those recipes, the less expensive ones. I would say the easy less expensive ones and I made one about a week ago that had Velveeta in it which I never use, but a lot of people do, and I ended up throwing out the whole thing except for the one serving!

So my other tactic is only making half a recipe because it's just me and that way if I don't like it it's not as big of a deal.

I really just started doing that. Of course you can't do that on everything. Like I think I may try this super quick easy recipe that starts with a box of cheesy shells that are not Velveeta but the other type. So unfortunately you can't half that, and it's a high risk for getting thrown out. It starts with that and then it gets meat and diced tomatoes for goulash. And mozzarella. I wouldn't even consider it except that mozzarella will fix almost anything!

I don't know maybe I can divide that box mac and cheese and its tiny packet. I might at least try it. Then if it really was not fit to eat you could at least eat the mac and cheese what was left.

I'm trying these weird things because it's too hot to cook here now but yet I want to cook in my hot kitchen but I don't want to be in there long!

Back
Top Bottom