Favorite veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
In memory of "Yuk to Veggies" thread. https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/yuk-to-veggies-101332.html

We're in the prime garden veggie time of the year here (US, Upper midwest, great lakes).
Our all time favorite is asparagus. Asparagus season is over. We do love another couple hundred kinds of vegetables. Variety!

I like having my greens everyday, before breakfast. I also like them in my veggie rice, my minestrone soup. For a while we made stuffed steamed buns stuffed with greens mushrooms and a soy sauce glaze. Maybe I'll make those again since we really liked them.

Three kinds of kale are doing really well for us, the curly traditional kale, the thunderhead large leaves and the blue/purple kale (more long leaves), and of edible leaves there are zucchini leaves (boring flavor) and squash leaves (also boring flavor) but the more the merrier.

Mr bliss's UN-favorite is: beets (they taste like dirt)
I can't think of one I won't eat and I like to try new ones too. I wish I had some bitter melon to try....haven't tried that yet. There's a small farmer's market just a few miles from here that shows up wednesday afternoons, which I'm going to check out today.

Our salad today is broccoli, tomatoes, pickles, cooked wheat berries, kidney beans, topped with carrot apple pineapple slaw. If we go big, it's a full meal, if we go smaller, it's a side to a ww bowtie pasta minestrone.

(https://www.wdrb.com/wdrb-in-the-mo...cle_dbd3d154-9298-11e9-b17e-0be215e5dd4e.html)

Here's america's favorites:

• Corn (91 percent)
  • Potatoes (91 percent)
  • Carrots (89 percent)
  • Tomatoes (89 percent)
  • Onion (87 percent)
  • Green beans (87 percent)
  • Cucumbers (86 percent)
  • Broccoli (85 percent)
  • Cabbage (84 percent)
  • Peas (83 percent)
And Un-favorites:

• Turnip (27 percent)
  • Beets (26 percent)
  • Radish (23 percent)
  • Brussels sprouts (21 percent)
  • Artichoke (20 percent)
  • Eggplant (20 percent)
  • Butternut squash (20 percent)
  • Zucchini (18 percent)
  • Mushrooms (18 percent)
  • Asparagus (16 percent)

Oh and we're in the the....LOVES mushrooms group too! In everything.

What's your favorite veggies or favorite veggie dish?

Last edited:
Favorite - mashed rutabagga with butter, pepper, and a touch or brown sugar.

Summer squah

Acorn squash

Winter squah family

Cabbage

Onion

Broccoli/cauliflower

Tomato

Beets

Carrots

Fresh peas

Sun chokes

And so many others

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Omigosh! Too many to count. Potatoes of any variety, beans of any variety, okra, tomatoes, asparagus, beets, onions, peas, cabbage, zucchini, squash, eggplant, lettuce...

Can't think of more, but my list is long.

We were gifted with a huge quantity of leaf lettuce by Glenn's son and I had the joy of having salad for lunch 5 days in a row. Definitely got some fiber. LOVE salad.

Favorite is hard to list because I have a recipe for most veggies that make hem taste good. Sure I like some better than others, some are more universally used than others.

Its much easier for me to list the ones I've never learned to like.

1) Radishes. Horrible, If I slice them really really thin, I can tolerate them in a salad an appreciate the texture in a salad, but I wont even tell you what I think they taste like, as I dont want to be expelled from the forum for foul language.
2) Sea Weed. Its one of those things where I just cant understand how people like it so much. That ' Sea' smell and flavor repulses me.
3) Any of those Bitter Greens Any vegetable that I have to go to extremes to eliminate its natural flavors ( bitterness) just doesnt seem worth the effort to me. Although, I have worked with raw green olives before, and made them acceptable ( not good, but acceptable). For me it was more of a challenge.

Other than that, each veggie that I have tried has aaa least one way (And usually more) that ive prepared it to make me want to make it again.

Certain veggies I appreciate more at different times of the year, usually correlating with the time they are most fresh/ ripe and easily found in the stores ( or garden).

Favourite vegis is a hard choice. There are loads of vegis that I like. So, I thought, "Which vegis do I try to always have on hand?" Well, that turns out to depend on the state of my finances.

When we don't have much money:

• carrots
  • onions
  • cabbage
  • turnip or rutabaga
  • celeriac or celery
  • maybe potatoes (I tend to rely on brown rice when I'm broke, because it keeps a lot longer than 'taters and doesn't need refrigeration.)
When I am more flush, the above plus the following:

• Scallions
  • Seasonal vegis, like fartichokes (AKA sunchokes, Jerusalem artichokes, sun roots), asparagus, beets, radishes, daikon radishes
  • Young rainbow chard
  • Sorrel
  • Lettuce, usually green crisp and Boston, sometimes Romaine, other interesting odd ball lettuces
  • Coloured Bell peppers (not green)
  • Broccoli or cauliflower
  • Cucumber

And in my freezer:
  • Baby peas
  • green beans
  • Diced carrots
  • Corn
  • "Asian stir fry mix"
  • Hot peppers
  • Garlic

Canned or jarred vegis:

• Bamboo shoots
  • Water chestnuts
  • Marinated artichoke hearts

I like a lot of other vegis, but the above are what I almost always have on hand.

I like tomatoes, but they can aggravate my arthritis, so I only have those around once in a while.

I've thought about this every once in awhile, more in terms of what the Grands will eat. One of them likes carrots, the other broccoli, both like green beans.

So now I get to choose and I vote for Carrots. Good all year. Followed by just about anything fresh in season. Well within reason No to turnips, yes to its cousin rutabaga...

Still waiting for garden tomatoes to be consistantly available,

We love vegetables, and grow many of our own. I guess our favorites would be asparagus, although it is a short season for us. Next two are leaf lettuce for salads, and sugar peas to eat raw or lightly sauteed as a side dish.

Sweet corn is enjoyed, but we don't grow it because it takes so much space and so much fertilizer. We just buy it from a farm stand.

We love vegetables, and grow many of our own. I guess our favorites would be asparagus, although it is a short season for us. Next two are leaf lettuce for salads, and sugar peas to eat raw or lightly sauteed as a side dish.

Sweet corn is enjoyed, but we don't grow it because it takes so much space and so much fertilizer. We just buy it from a farm stand.

We've tried to grow corn, and we are surrounded by corn fields, but the only happier and healthier animals are the raccoons. They harvested it for themselves. :LOL: We buy it at the farm stands too! I'm planning on canning corn this year. We do love it.

Swiss chard....we just cleared about half our lettuce garden from bolted lettuce and put in chard seed. We should have some in the fall. I like the stems diced, and the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom