Prune Juice Cocktails (Really!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol, Chuck. I just saw that Star Trek: TNG episode recently.

And not funny, Ross. Go put on Guinan's hat and sit in the corner.

Oh, and it's dried plum nectar, not prune juice that goes with rum. Talk about a warrior's drink...

Although, I'd probably just do the vodka and lemon over ice with plum nectar, garnished with a twisted lemon slice

Dried plum nectar? Prunes are dried plums. :huh:

CD

I wouldn’t mind trying this cocktail; it’s intriguing!

But what is “cynar?”
It's a liqueur made from artichokes (I am not kidding!) among other things.

I tried it once (bored, in a bar in Menorca, we decided to try all the liqueurs on the shelf behind the cash register - there were a lot!:ermm:). I don't think I'd bother again

It's a liqueur made from artichokes (I am not kidding!) among other things.

I tried it once (bored, in a bar in Menorca, we decided to try all the liqueurs on the shelf behind the cash register - there were a lot!:ermm:). I don't think I'd bother again
I sold cynar in my bar in Italy back in the 80's..if wasn't very popular..as I remember, I only knew of one guy who drank it..Aniello from Torino..

I sold cynar in my bar in Italy back in the 80's..if wasn't very popular..as I remember, I only knew of one guy who drank it..Aniello from Torino..

WOW, you said "Torino!" Im so used to "Turin... and Florence, and Naples" and all the other misnaming of Italian cities.

Ooops, way off topic. Sorry. :blush:

CD

Lol.

Yes, the Yin and Yang of attitude.

There is the North Jersey way, and the wrong way. :cool:

Just curious, where in NJ are you from? My mom is from North Jersey, and she taught me to say "Pork Roll." One of the few things she taught me that was right. :rolleyes:

CD

WOW, you said "Torino!" Im so used to "Turin... and Florence, and Naples" and all the other misnaming of Italian cities.

Ooops, way off topic. Sorry. :blush:

CD
Here is Aniello and I on a day trip in 86 or 87 .He's on the right..

Attachments

• 4592_98589077400_5834108_n.jpg
    4592_98589077400_5834108_n.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 215
Just curious, where in NJ are you from? My mom is from North Jersey, and she taught me to say "Pork Roll." One of the few things she taught me that was right. :rolleyes:

CD

I grew up in Bergen County, just north of the GW Bridge, and have lived within 10 miles of there most of my life.

Well, until 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Not as a going concern, but yes.

My wife's family was from Garfield on the Passaic (aka Pollock Valley. The Italians lived on the hill on the other side of town, called Guinea Heights.)

Last edited:
Not as a going concern, but yes.

My wife's family was from Garfield on the Passaic (aka Pollock Valley. The Italians lived on the hill on the other side of town, called Guinea Heights.)

LOL. One of my favorite customers is a guy who lives in Montclair, where my mom went to college. He keeps his cars in a warehouse a block from the Passaic. I've been told things about him, and how he made his money, but don't have any idea if they are true, but he's always been good to me. My Italian surname and my mom's alma mater makes us a few steps shy of "family." :cool: :LOL:

CD

I’ve read a bit about this. Prune juice actually is made from prunes. They are rehydrated, pressed, and the liquid is strained. Prune juice has more fiber than plum juice, and is a source of sorbitol, which, along with the fiber, gives it the laxative effect.

I stand by my opinion.

Going is definitely what you have to do!

Prune Juice with some Milk of Magnesia...A Brown Cow...then a Code Brown...:ohmy:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Many years ago the Prune Folks petitioned the Federal Govt. whatever department has say over the names of foods, to change the name from prune juice to plum nectar. The petition was denied. The reason was the public would be confused. And a lot of folks rely on prune juice for the obvious reasons. I am sure with a strong advertising campaign, the public would grasp the new name quickly. I love plums and prunes (dried plums) and buy them all the time. I do find that the prunes because they are dried, the natural sugar content is more pronounced that when it is just a plum. So like most fruit, I have to limit my intake.

Okay, so we’ve got prune juice, which is available pretty much anywhere, plum juice which I don’t think I’ve ever seen on supermarket shelves, but I’ve heard of it and read about it.

And we have grape juice, made, i assume like any other juice. Whole, ripe fruits are pressed and strained. I have never heard of raisin juice, though. Neither in print nor on the Internet nor on tv. I’ve never seen it mentioned in recipes or on daytime cooking shows, never heard of celeb docs touting its health benefits, Why is there no raisin juice?

This question, as I’m sure y’all are aware, is three-to-one tongue in cheek. But doesn’t it make you wonder a bit? Like driving on parkways and parking on driveways? A light-hearted question, if it makes you chuckle, we all win. If it makes you curious - makes you go “hmmm” - it’s still win-win. If we debate the merits and drawbacks of grape juice versus an assumed “raisin juice,” then we all still win.

And I admit, I’ve never even googled “raisin juice,” so I have nothing to back up my previous statement. Mea culpa. I’ll apologize for it, but I’m not gonna google it. Yet.

(I’m about three sheets to the wind right now. OTC cough med (combo expectorant and anti-tussive), a few vodka cocktails, and a few tokes of the now legal - at least here in Sin City - flower (well, bud, anyway, but the dispensaries call the product “flower). The latter makes me egregiously loquacious, as evidenced by the phrase “egregiously loquacious.” Okay, maybe four sheets to the wind. “Nothing to see here folks, scroll along!” And please don’t judge. Mark and both use it medicinally. Usually.

Re the above. Okay, I googled it. Raisin juice exists. There are recipes for it, it’s sold commercially, usually as a concentrate, and it’s more medicinal than it is enjoyable.

Still, have y’all ever heard of it? Tasted it? Used it in a recipe? Do tell!

Well, I did have some overly dry raisins that I soaked for a while. They plumped up nicely, so mission accomplished. I gave the soaking water a taste, but it didn't have a lot of flavour.

Well, I did have some overly dry raisins that I soaked for a while. They plumped up nicely, so mission accomplished. I gave the soaking water a taste, but it didn't have a lot of flavour.

Didn't have any vodka in the house? :rolleyes:

CD:D

Back
Top Bottom