Prune Juice Cocktails (Really!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
While Mark was in rehab, he became accustomed to having a bit of prune juice every morning to help resolve the constipation caused by the medications he was on. I bought a bottle for him when he came home.

I’ve never really minded prune juice, except that it’s medicinal nature is a bit off-putting. I wondered if prune juice is ever used as an ingredient in cocktails.

A quick trip to google, and I had my answer. There are many many cocktails in which prune juice plays a starring role! The first I discovered is calked a Sugarplum Martini and consists of prune juice, vodka, Grand Marnier and lemon juice, shaken, not stirred, and kept cold by the addition of a frozen prune!

Other cocktails had some really amusing names. I particularly liked “constipolitan,” “bowel banger,” and “smooth move.” Okay, amusing to a high school student.

I have yet to try any of these concoctions, and was wondering if any of you on DC who imbibe occasionally have ever run across any of these rather unusual mixes.

I think someone.. hmmm, had to be buckytom, had a recipe where he mixed Miralax with his rum and said, "Shiver me Dungbie" all the way to the bathroom... ;):ROFLMAO::LOL::ermm:
Ross

Lol, Chuck. I just saw that Star Trek: TNG episode recently.

And not funny, Ross. Go put on Guinan's hat and sit in the corner.

Oh, and it's dried plum nectar, not prune juice that goes with rum. Talk about a warrior's drink...

Although, I'd probably just do the vodka and lemon over ice with plum nectar, garnished with a twisted lemon slice

Last edited:
Lol, Chuck. I just saw that Star Trek: TNG episode recently.

And not funny, Ross. Go put on Guinan's hat and sit in the corner.

Oh, and it's dried plum nectar, not prune juice that goes with rum. Talk about a warrior's drink...

Although, I'd probably just do the vodka and lemon over ice with plum nectar, garnished with a twisted lemon slice
It was too... I heard you chuckling... :ROFLMAO:
Ross

Never had prunes, closest I use is dates, in a date and tamarind chutney, for my curries and samosas. Really great condiment.

Russ

Never had prunes, closest I use is dates, in a date and tamarind chutney, for my curries and samosas. Really great condiment.

Russ
You've missed a treat!. I love prunes. It's a shame that their "medicinal" reputation has over taken their deliciousness.

The stars in the prune world are the “Pruneaux d’Agen” from the Agen area of France - you don't have to go there (althought that part of France is worth a visit) as they are available all over the world.

In France (and probably elsewhere) you can buy them in brandy but it's easy enough to make your own. I used a Jane Grigson recipe. Be sure to warn your guests if you serve them as a dessert (with cream - mmm!) as the alcohol content may not be good for drivers!

Three cheers for prunes.

You've missed a treat!. I love prunes. It's a shame that their "medicinal" reputation has over taken their deliciousness.

The stars in the prune world are the “Pruneaux d’Agen” from the Agen area of France - you don't have to go there (althought that part of France is worth a visit) as they are available all over the world.

In France (and probably elsewhere) you can buy them in brandy but it's easy enough to make your own. I used a Jane Grigson recipe. Be sure to warn your guests if you serve them as a dessert (with cream - mmm!) as the alcohol content may not be good for drivers!

Three cheers for prunes.

Going is definitely what you have to do!

Prune Juice with some Milk of Magnesia...A Brown Cow...then a Code Brown...:ohmy:

Dried Plums, as I like to call them covered in Chocolate is one of the best treats you can have, even better than strawberries, or apricots or cherries, or nuts. The natural sweetens plus chocolate is amazing together.

Accidentally prune juice is not mane of what we commonly called Prunes, it is made from Plums that are used to make prunes because of their natural sweetness. So, it really should simply be called Plum juice to avoid all the goofy comments this juice gets.

Dried Plums, as I like to call them covered in Chocolate is one of the best treats you can have, even better than strawberries, or apricots or cherries, or nuts. The natural sweetens plus chocolate is amazing together.

Accidentally prune juice is not mane of what we commonly called Prunes, it is made from Plums that are used to make prunes because of their natural sweetness. So, it really should simply be called Plum juice to avoid all the goofy comments this juice gets.
I’ve read a bit about this. Prune juice actually is made from prunes. They are rehydrated, pressed, and the liquid is strained. Prune juice has more fiber than plum juice, and is a source of sorbitol, which, along with the fiber, gives it the laxative effect.

I had a prune juice cocktail a few years ago - I ordered it for the novelty but it turned out to be delicious. It was unfortunately name a Pile Driver and served over a full glass of cracked ice and topped off with a skewer of a frozen stewed prune, cherry and salted, candied walnut half.

Prune juice
Grapefruit juice
Bourbon
lemon juice
cynar (just a bit)

I had a prune juice cocktail a few years ago - I ordered it for the novelty but it turned out to be delicious. It was unfortunately name a Pile Driver and served over a full glass of cracked ice and topped off with a skewer of a frozen stewed prune, cherry and salted, candied walnut half.

Prune juice
Grapefruit juice
Bourbon
lemon juice
cynar (just a bit)
I wouldn’t mind trying this cocktail; it’s intriguing!

But what is “cynar?”

I wouldn’t mind trying this cocktail; it’s intriguing!

But what is “cynar?”

cynar is an herbal liqueur that is a somewhat bitter and has a relatively low alcohol content. It's made from a large blend of botanicals including artichokes.

Pronounced cheee-nar (italian I think)

Back
Top Bottom