Friday, February 16, 2023 - Friday Night Food! Whatcha having?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
We had oysters and clam chowder. I don't enjoy earthy oysters, but these were briny and tasty. For the clam chowder, I cheated a bit with canned clams. After cubing a peeled potato, the potato was covered with water and a dollop of Better-Than-Bouillon Vegetable stock with a strong squeeze of lemon. Simmer until done. Then add clam juice from the canned clams, fresh pepper and a knob of butter. Thicken with flour in a bit of milk. Once thickened to liking, put in the clams and a bit of fresh cream before serving. It came out really tasty.

The fresh oysters were served with a squeeze of lemon and cocktail sauce. In fact, they were so fresh that one even had a tiny little crab hidden in the shell.

20240216_170431.jpg
20240216_170435.jpg

I made a batch of mushroom, barley, and lentil soup, with some unusual purple barley, plus some mung beans - in this case, some split, but not hulled, available in Indian markets, and I often use to thicken things like this. I started it by soaking 3/4 oz of boletus mushrooms, washed them out very well, and used the strained soaking water in the soup. I made a mirepoix of a large onion, medium carrot, and a stalk of celery, cooked on Sauté medium in the Instant Pot about 5 minutes in some olive oil, then for about a minute cooked about a tb of minced garlic, and a couple of tsp each of rosemary and marjoram, minced with the garlic. Then I put the finely chopped boletus, and the soaking and washing water (about 2 c), switched the IP to Sauté High, and boiled almost all that off, then added 8 c chicken broth, and let it come back to a boil. Then I added 1/2 c each purple barley, and the split, but not hulled mung beans, and about 1½ tb soy sauce, for the salt. I set that for 30 min on Manual, let it release 15 min, and the barley still needed some more cooking! I also added about 1/3 c more of those moong dal, as it needed more thickening, and set for 10 minutes more cooking, and released 12 minutes (hard to believe that barley was still visible!), and after this, put the browned mushrooms in (cooked separately, while doing these other things), and just simmered another 5 min. This way, the mushrooms keep some flavor and "bite" to them, instead of getting overcooked, and the boletus give most of the flavor to the soup.
Mushroom barley soup, with the boletus and cooking down, with the mirepoix and soaking water. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

1/2 c each of purple barley and split, but not hulled, mung beans, for the mushroom soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A pound of creminis, cooked separately, while the barley and lentils are cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The mushroom, barley,, lentil soup, almost finished. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mushroom, barley, and lentil soup, topped with a little reggiano. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Well, my lunch was better than my dinner. For lunch I had pan-seared Monkfish and shrimp with steamed asparagus.

For dinner I had a "crack" pizza. Yep, that's what we have called the Totino's Party Pizza for many years. It's that danged crust that's so addictive. And I always add extra green pepper and onion.

For dinner I had a "crack" pizza. Yep, that's what we have called the Totino's Party Pizza for many years. It's that danged crust that's so addictive. And I always add extra green pepper and onion.

I've been guilty of that, although I make my own copycat version of the Party Pizza now.

CD

I've been guilty of that, although I make my own copycat version of the Party Pizza now.

CD
Nice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom