Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief, so sorry to hear about your MIL. Hope her last days are peaceful, and that your wife is able to do whatever she can to help her. Prayers for you all.

Also, your idea for a new thread sounds excellent.

I have been dealing with my brother's sudden death in 2016 without a will. Cared for my Mom (would do that all again). BUT I have another brother who didn't send a card, visit his Mom, etc. My Dad, in his words, is "loaded." He upped my MIA brother's percentage after my Mom died. (When I called the MIA brother to tell him our brother died, he said to me "how much money did he leave me and can I have his bike"). The excuse he gave my uncle, my Dad's younger brother, why he couldn't visit his Mom while she was dying was because it would be too stressful. I, obviously, can handle stress and, gee, after finding my life friend, my brother dead, he'd been dead for three weeks, and all I wanted to do was curl up in the fetal position in a corner, but I didn't get that option. Instead I had to deal with the funeral home, etc., all alone. In Canada, with the few family members I have living in the US.

So the gal who has been 'doing housekeeping for ~10 years said to me on Friday "you can out lawyer him." Ha! She said "you can contest the percentage your Dad has left him if you outlive your Dad." I never thought of that, and yes, I can out lawyer him. What I would rather see happen is my Dad write a check and a "sign off" document. Because, I know, he never sent a card, flowers, or visited my Mom, but I can guarantee you he will be on the door step wanting to know "how much money did he leave me and can I have his...fill in the blank....generator, car, ladder." Ha! I can out lawyer him. Meanwhile, going through stuff. Seeing my cousins again next week--taking grandma's mink jacket to be sent of to be made into memorial teddy bears and my Mom's Shirley Temple doll to one of my cousin's daughters. Makes my heart sing to give these things to the cousins. "How much money did he leave me, and can I have his bike." Death brings out the ugliest in people. BTW, I gave my brother's bike to my cousin's son.

Any DCers who don't have a will--get one. Any who are, like I am, all alone in life, get rid of stuff--don't make someone else do that. And, make sure you have a contact person you touch base with. Don't make someone do a welfare check on you. I can't sleep in the dark--gotta have a light on. I still see my brother's body. He had died 3 weeks before I did the welfare check. Don't do that to someone. Don't give them nightmares that never end.

Got a dog/cat/parrot, make sure you have made plans for that animal's care and don't expect your dog/cat/parrot to be able to call the sheriff, coroner, dr., funeral home.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Today it was my fault that the 20+ year old fridge died. I didn't know I had that kind of power to kill an appliance. My super power!!!!!! What is that plea--Lord, come take me now? The car acts up--my fault. The fridge dies--my fault. I didn't know I could do such things. Where is my cape????

Last edited:
+1 Today I was told that if I hadn't been in Ontario taking care of my brother's stuff and gathering my roten Faden, my Mom would still be alive. I am not willing to carry that guilt.

Sweetheart, get out of there as soon as you can. Your father is beating you up.

Sweetheart, get out of there as soon as you can. Your father is beating you up.
Huh! You think! If I didn't have that canning jar of my Mom's ashes in my closet, she'd be rolling in her grave. Sad thing is that I gave up everything and I am homeless, I have no place to go.

Last edited:
CWS, I wish I could do something to help. Sadly, all I can do is offer to be a sounding board if you need someone to talk with or vent to.

My Mom and I went over her will and POA before she had her hip replacement surgery. I have her POA because I am closest to her (my sister lives about an hour away and also has a husband that is ill), and one of my cousins who is an accountant will be the Executor. Of course, that may all change.

No super power! I can't make appliances die. The appliance guy came out this morning--the relay switch died. In the meantime, I had taken everything out of the fridge and freezer and put them in Rubbermaid bins that I buried in the snow. Luckily for my Dad, the repair bill was only $170. The cost of a new fridge would have been around $1500 because of it being an off-size, etc. I had said to my Dad that at the age of 88 and with the fact he is considering selling the house and most people will replace appliances, to buy a used one. "I don't buy used. I could take the fridge with me." The question is, where? I keep telling him he better start investigating how big of a U-haul he needs pulled behind the hearse.

CWS, I wish I could do something to help. Sadly, all I can do is offer to be a sounding board if you need someone to talk with or vent to.

My Mom and I went over her will and POA before she had her hip replacement surgery. I have her POA because I am closest to her (my sister lives about an hour away and also has a husband that is ill), and one of my cousins who is an accountant will be the Executor. Of course, that may all change.
I have POA for my Dad, and I got to pick who would help me--I picked my godfather, even though his brother is a CPA. I want someone who will be on my side. Now my Dad is threatening to rewrite the will so my MIA brother gets 50%. I don't care.

I had five male cousins who were older than I am--one died from brain cancer, so now there are four. There were no girls in the family except for me. They spoilt me rotten. These four men have stepped up to the plate. I am so blessed to have them, their children, and their grandchildren, not to mention their Mom, still in my life. I get to go see my aunt and two of my cousins and their wives on Wednesday when Dad takes his taxes up to the cousin who is a CPA. Two of them are out fishing on LOW today to catch me some walleye.

Last edited:
Huh! You think! If I didn't have that canning jar of my Mom's ashes in my closet, she'd be rolling in her grave. Sad thing is that I gave up everything and I am homeless, I have no place to go.

CWS, don't you still have the Lake House that's in your name alone?
Can't you go there?
I agree with PF, GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE!!!!!!! That is not a healthy place, at all!

Not really a big deal, just a bit annoying. I had some groceries delivered today. They were probably out of the brand of sour cream that I like. So, they substituted another brand. It doesn't taste as nice and has a bunch of weird ingredients:

Skim milk, Cream, Modified milk ingredients, Modified corn starch, Bacterial culture, Carrageenan, Guar gum, Locust bean gum, Sodium citrate.

Liberté, the brand I like has this list of ingredients for their sour cream:

Milk, cream, skim milk powder, bacterial cultures, microbial, enzymes.

Okay, end of rant. That'll teach me. I'll put a note next time I order sour cream.

The same thing happens to most of us. I see a lot of ads for hearing aids and jeans because that’s what I looked up recently. It gets really crazy around Christmas.

The same thing happens to most of us. I see a lot of ads for hearing aids and jeans because that’s what I looked up recently. It gets really crazy around Christmas.

Firefox has tracking protection. I also use Privacy Badger, an add on for browsers and DuckDuckGo's privacy essentials, another add on. I also use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine, because they don't track or sell your data.

It's shocking how many trackers there are on some websites.

My petty vent started yesterday but has continued into today. I stood on a kitchen chair (instead of the stool I usually use) to get at a recipe file and the chair tipped with me on it and I surfed it down to the floor. Did minimal damage to myself and the chair but knocked down my recipe box and a pile of really old recipe books (circa 1929) all over the floor! I’ve been resorting and repairing off and on all weekend darn it! AND I didn’t find the recipe I wanted!

Vent done. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom