Making Vanilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mention of ‘floral notes’ in vanilla reminded me of fiori di sicilia.

The old Italian bakeries used this type of flavoring in white cakes, half moon cookies, etc…

They may have made their own concoctions using citrus skins or juice and vanilla extract.

i love this.

Some descriptions say to use vanilla, lemon extract, and orange extract to get something similar.
Producer of the ingredient, King Arthur Baking Company, named it as its 2021 Ingredient of the Year, and thousands of gushing 5-star reviews add to its allure. The secret combination of ingredients uses botanicals found in the south of Italy (the translation is "flowers of Sicily") and includes extracts from flowers that might include marigolds, elderflowers, orange blossom, and roses, combining them with citrus oil. While Fiori di Sicilia offers a hint of vanilla, you'll also notice herbals like bergamot, lavender, and orange step toward center stage. The flavor profile has some similarities to what you might find in a freshly brewed cup of Eary Grey tea and offers a tasting experience that is something like a mixed scoop of vanilla and orange sorbet, a perfect flavor companion for dessert recipes in need of a bit of pizazz.

Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/1490485/substitute-vanilla-extract-fiori-di-sicilia-citrus/
While I have vanilla, orange peels, lemon peels (without the pith), I'd like to have some florals. Ideally orange blossom or bergamot, that I don't have. I have lavender and I could go sniffing the current flowers:) in the yard, I guess. Bergamot is a type of bee balm flower. We only have the red and spotted so far, but that purple one would be nice to add to our flower gardens and also use for baking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom