Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kathleen, I'm glad you are enjoying the ice cream maker attachment. We have had a Cuisinart ice cream maker for an number of years. We have made some very tasty ice creams and even lemon sherbet as I remember it from my childhood, every bit as delicious. Your post had me nodding along with your observations.

If my chest freezer wasn't so full, we would keep the bowl in there. We used to. It's our downstairs freezer too, in our basement. It has spoiled us with really good ice cream. We just don't buy ice cream nowadays. The only stuff we can buy that is good enough is Haagen Dazs, but that's owned by Nestlé and we don't buy from Nestlé. We used to get Bryer's All Natural and that was really good, but we can't get that type of Bryer's here anymore.

Lemon sherbet sounds amazing! I've not had sherbet in years, so will consider that one in the near future! You would not have the recipe for it, would you?

Our freezer has been ridiculous for a while, so I have been "shopping it" prior to going to the supermarket. I think I have a spot the bowl can "house" and call its own.

I like Bryer's all natural and their mint chocolate chip, but other ice creams have not been up to par for me....except those boutique ice creams that are insanely priced per pint.

Lemon sherbet sounds amazing! I've not had sherbet in years, so will consider that one in the near future! You would not have the recipe for it, would you?

Our freezer has been ridiculous for a while, so I have been "shopping it" prior to going to the supermarket. I think I have a spot the bowl can "house" and call its own.

I like Bryer's all natural and their mint chocolate chip, but other ice creams have not been up to par for me....except those boutique ice creams that are insanely priced per pint.

Brewers is not much cream with whipped air. It doesn’t taste like it used to. The quality has gone way down.

I only buy Haagen Dazs and Trader Joe’s ice cream.

Brewers is not much cream with whipped air. It doesn’t taste like it used to. The quality has gone way down.

I only buy Haagen Dazs and Trader Joe’s ice cream.
I specified Breyers "All Natural". I have tried other versions that weren't nearly as good. Actually, I have long checked ingredient lists and found that stuff that has only food in the ingredients are the ones that taste best. I have bought some amazing inexpensive imported stuff simply by choosing the stuff that was only food. It works for ice cream too. Guar gum and carrageenan might be perfectly safe to eat. But, if they are adding it, they are almost always leaving out or skimping on something.

My sister bought me the KA ice cream maker for my birthday. I love gadgets and ice cream, so win-win for the concept. She got it on Prime Day so I know it was roughly $40 off its regular price of $99, which was also a happy thing. It's a specialty piece so I would not want her to spend a lot for something that only has one purpose...
DH gave me the same thing for Christmas. I've only made ice cream once so far - I had to make room in the freezer for it first! 🤣 I made vanilla ice cream with cherries and dark chocolate pieces. The chocolate is too hard - I need to figure out how to fix that - but the ice cream itself was great.

Attachments

• 20230707_214757.jpg
    20230707_214757.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 6
I've thought about making vanilla with cherries and chocolate. Maybe I will shave the chocolate...or use mini-chips? What do you think?
If you have some mini chips, put some in the freezer and then try them. If that sample suits you, you'll likely be fine with it in the ice cream. For me, I would chop them finer or toss some chocolate in the food processor BRIEFLY...but it is a matter of personal taste, I think.

If you have some mini chips, put some in the freezer and then try them. If that sample suits you, you'll likely be fine with it in the ice cream. For me, I would chop them finer or toss some chocolate in the food processor BRIEFLY...but it is a matter of personal taste, I think.
Great idea, Ginny 👍

I've been getting more and more aggravated about our use of plastic wrap and aluminum foil for wrapping leftovers and covering bowls, so I finally bought these reusable beeswax wraps that have been in my Amazon list for ages. Eight wraps in three sizes. They work great so far.

20230721_125206.jpg

I've been getting more and more aggravated about our use of plastic wrap and aluminum foil for wrapping leftovers and covering bowls, so I finally bought these reusable beeswax wraps that have been in my Amazon list for ages. Eight wraps in three sizes. They work great so far.

View attachment 65359
Those are really pretty. I buy the (cheap) brown or white type at the Restaurant Supply store.

DH gave me the same thing for Christmas. I've only made ice cream once so far - I had to make room in the freezer for it first! 🤣 I made vanilla ice cream with cherries and dark chocolate pieces. The chocolate is too hard - I need to figure out how to fix that - but the ice cream itself was great.
Maybe chocolate ice cream with cherries. 🤔

The important thing is to practice, practice, practice! 🐷🐷🐷

View attachment 65359
I bought some a few months back, or similar reasons. But, I haven't gotten around to coating them in the beeswax. Did yours come with the wax already on them? I'm a little daunted by the melting, dipping, letting them solidify process.

There are some decent Ice Cream starter mixes out there too. Makes quick work of readying the mix for the machine. I'm not ashamed to say that I use them...especially when DH is recuperating from surgery. He generally gets a craving for ice cream...and it is easier to eat than a lot of things, when having mouth surgery. Helpful when one needs time for other things, but still making him feel spoiled?

Sprinkles sound good. I also did not like the hardness. I will shave with the vegie peeler next time.

Andy, yep, goes down too fast.
Mango, Coffee, Vanilla - yum.
Want to make Mint Chocolate Chip (shavings).

Sprinkles sound good. I also did not like the hardness. I will shave with the vegie peeler next time.

Andy, yep, goes down too fast.
Mango, Coffee, Vanilla - yum.
Want to make Mint Chocolate Chip (shavings).
Word of caution...be careful with the mint! A little goes a long way in ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom