Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hate that so much depends on having a cell phone and often it has to be a smart phone. Sometimes phones run out of power. Do they really think its reasonable that I can't do something on the internet when my phone is unavailable? And, don't get me started on two factor verification. So much of it is just security theatre. If someone gets hold of my phone and that is set up for two factor verification, then they will get the codes sent to the phone. Also, I don't want facial recognition or finger print scanning until they can convince me that they won't work if I am unconscious or dead or if my finger isn't still attached to me.
Most people set a security code that's necessary to get into the phone itself and see these codes; mine is four digits that DH and I both know. If you haven't, I'd do it right now.

Most people set a security code that's necessary to get into the phone itself and see these codes; mine is four digits that DH and I both know. If you haven't, I'd do it right now.
I have that set up. I don't think a four digit pin is particularly good.

These are great for proofing dough too...easy to see "double in size"...
@GinnyPNW how do you store your containers when not in use?
My old Tupperware, I found that if I want to stack them together, they need a piece of black&white newspaper to keep them from getting smelly - a really odd smell that is very difficult to get ride of.

Kgirl, I never put the lids on - and there's a problem with that - finding the right one and then making the right one fit (they seem to change over time).... But... I DON'T like the smell of them when I keep their lids on. No matter how clean you wash them - they are plastic and will absorb oils.

@GinnyPNW how do you store your containers when not in use?
My old Tupperware, I found that if I want to stack them together, they need a piece of black&white newspaper to keep them from getting smelly - a really odd smell that is very difficult to get ride of.
I have only 2 of them, so I nest them & stash them in the "produce bins" in my kitchen island. Hey, most of my produce need to be in a much cooler environment! My kitchen is in my living room! Greatroom. Sigh. It is great for being with everyone, while tending to the cooking...but has its drawbacks too.

I have that set up. I don't think a four digit pin is particularly good.
I'm only familiar with Apple phones where you can choose the format of your passcode - 4-digit numerical, custom alpha numerical or custom numeric in addition to four digit numeric.

I do all of my online shopping/purchasing on my laptop. I find it much easier to navigate.
Yeah, I take screenshots of things and file them in specific "temp" folders. Sure, I could take a screenshot with my phone or tablet, but I have the hardest time finding them later. It's hard to get at the file system on a phone, not like with Windog, Linux, or Apple (I assume).

Yeah, I take screenshots of things and file them in specific "temp" folders. Sure, I could take a screenshot with my phone or tablet, but I have the hardest time finding them later. It's hard to get at the file system on a phone, not like with Windog, Apple, or Linux.
Sorry you have to deal with that. My screenshots all go into the photos app.

I do all of my online shopping/purchasing on my laptop. I find it much easier to navigate.
Being housebound I do all my shopping online, but I use a pc and have a large monitor so it makes it easier for me. I was thinking about getting a laptop as a "just in case" but when I was loaned one to try I found the keyboard difficult to use. I guess it's because I've been used to using a big keyboard.

I'm only familiar with Apple phones where you can choose the format of your passcode - 4-digit numerical, custom alpha numerical or custom numeric in addition to four digit numeric.
Android phones have all of those options, too, as well as the option to create a custom shape you "draw" on the phone with your fingertip.

Use as many as you want. The point is that it prevents a stranger from easily getting texted codes.
Not quite. I can see notifications without entering my PIN. Often, the security code is visible right there. For me, that's convenient. If the phone is in the hands of someone else, then not so good.

You could be able to set your phone so notifications don't appear on the lock screen. Not as convenient but more secure.

You could be able to set your phone so notifications don't appear on the lock screen. Not as convenient but more secure.
What it shows is that I have an SMS, what phone number it's from, and part of the first line. It's really not so much a question of me being worried for myself. I simply hate things that are designed that badly. I am so tired of hopping through hoops for security theatre.

I think I posted once that my daughter sent me a text. I was driving down a long empty country road, heard the ping, glanced over to see who and if I should pull over and the top line said...

"So I hit this pedestrian.... "

WHAT!!! I nearly went in the ditch trying to pull over so fast to call her back.

the rest of the sentence read...

"..... sign with my shoulder and have a horrid bruise".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom