Help with Chicken Noodle Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty sure it's the Yukon Gold potatoes that are known to be the best all purpose potatoes here on Turtle Island (North America). Russets are your classic starchy potato. But, most potatoes can be used for most purposes, depending on how fussy you are.

I often buy both russets and yukon golds. The russets are good for mashed and baked. The YKs go for potato salad and roasted potatoes. Red Potatoes - not so much.

I just buy potatoes, based on price, smell, packaging. But yeah, thanks taxy, Yukon are another I often buy. oh fiddle-faddle, yep, buy reds too. Fingerlings, anything that strikes my fancy at the time.

I just buy potatoes, based on price, smell, packaging. But yeah, thanks taxy, Yukon are another I often buy. oh fiddle-faddle, yep, buy reds too. Fingerlings, anything that strikes my fancy at the time.

Fingerlings are waxy potatoes, too.

CD

potato salad . . .
the two major distinctions I'm aware of . . .

the creamy saucy kind,
the (more German imh experience) waxy oil&vinegar&herbed kind.

I like/make/serve both kinds.
for the creamy style - I use Russets - and intentionally 'over cook/boil' them so as they cool one can clearly see the whitish mealy edges. those 'edges' 'dissolve' in the mayo/et. al. mixture to create the "creamy" bit.

the low starch aka waxy kind maintain their 'as cut' integrity and works great for the "German" variety.

both are called "potato salad" - but frankly they're more better thought of as two different "dishes"

"new potatoes in a mesh bag" is a big time favorite here - simply boiled, served with butter&coarse salt . . . sometimes one 'color' sometimes 'mixed colors'

and then there's the smallish red potatoes - boiled then smashed . . another really excellent excuse for a liberal schmear of butter . . .

Well, thanks to a lot of help here, my first try at Chicken Noodle Soup was about a 65 on a 0-100 scale. I learned a few things that I will do differently next time.

We just had a baked chicken, so now I have another carcass. Last time there was stuffing inside the chicken. I did not include that when making the broth. This time, we just have bread stuffing, not real dressing. Should I include it this time or not?

Thanks

That's a good point. The broth in my first try was quite clear and that looked and felt right. Thanks.

What about the skin? I think I included everything that was left over after the meat was removed, so that probably included the skin, but I don't remember for sure.

And how well do I need to clean off the bones? There was some meat left on, especially parts that were kinda buried in crevices. I think that worked out well.

Finally, what about the drippings in the baking pan and on the cutting board? I did not include that last time. I have saved it all this time.

That's a good point. The broth in my first try was quite clear and that looked and felt right. Thanks.

What about the skin? I think I included everything that was left over after the meat was removed, so that probably included the skin, but I don't remember for sure.

And how well do I need to clean off the bones? There was some meat left on, especially parts that were kinda buried in crevices. I think that worked out well.

Finally, what about the drippings in the baking pan and on the cutting board? I did not include that last time. I have saved it all this time.
Unless you want to use the chicken skin for something else, like crispy chicken skin, I would put it in with the bones. Any meat left on the bones when you make the broth will just enhance the flavour.

Unless you use the pan drippings to make a sauce or gravy, put that in with the bones, when you are making the broth. Heck, if there is any fond in the pan, I would deglaze that and put in, as well as any juices left on the cutting board. That all just adds to the flavour.

Wow. Two new words: fond and deglaze. I guess it's too silly to say that I am fond of this forum.

I did a search for deglazing fond. One of the results said this:
Deglazing the pan is how you will harness the fond you created. As soon as you finish cooking your meat or vegetables, remove them from the pan and immediately add any sort of liquid (wine, broth, stock, juice or even water) to the hot pan. As the liquid sizzles, firmly scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
But how do I tell if it's actually fond? The description above and some pictures looked like it was pretty dry.
Today, the bottom of the baking pan was quite liquid. I was able to just pour it into the bowl with with the bones. Should I have cooked it on the stove top until it was dry?

No need to cook the liquid down to make it dry. The liquid that one adds to fond to deglaze the pan will just turn the fond into flavourful liquid, so you can get it out of the pan. BTW, it should leave the bottom of the pan looking nearly clean.

So if whatever is in the bottom of the pan is already very soft, not quite liquid, kinda gooey, can I just keep it as is or do I need to "cook" it some or add a little liquid to make it more liquid? I am a little confused because our pan after we removed the baked chicken did not look anything like the "fond"ones in the photos.

Well, if the chicken was cooked enough, there shouldn't be any problem with what was left on the pan. You might want to add some liquid and cook it off if it doesn't just all pour off. But, there is no need to do so.

The chicken was cooked perfectly. Just enough to be done, but still juicy.

I can't wait to give it another try. This time with better potatoes and smaller pasta.

Back
Top Bottom