Thoughts on the largest slow cooker or electric roasting pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tfmc

Assistant Cook
Right now we have an 8 QT. slow cooker that works great.
But when I make something for a large group of people, it seems too small.
I see that the largest one made is a 10 QT.
I also find electric roasting ovens go up to 28 QT and I like the fact that they can be used of other things.
My question is, can an electric roasting pan be used as a slow cooker?
If so, then what would be the best one to get?
Any recommendations would be helpful.
Thank you

I have an electric 18 qt roasting pan. The temperature is controlled by a knob with the temperatures on the side. I didn't find it very easy to control the temperature especially when you need a low temperature like 108-250 deg F, it's just not very precise. When I make tomato sauce I use it at higher temperatures to get a boil but the finish is a porcelain (thin to nothing) over steel. The finish is damaged with regular use. I'd shopped for something with a stainless steel pan, but didn't find anything I liked.
I don't know that I'd use it for a slow cooker and haven't tried.
It could work but until you know how hot it is getting you'd have to monitor the temperature with a probe/thermometer. The heating element is half way up the sides straight across the sides stopping on both sides of the temperature control knob. There's no heating in the middle or bottom of the pan.
The brands I've used are Nesco and Bella.

I have an electric 18 qt roasting pan. The temperature is controlled by a knob with the temperatures on the side. I didn't find it very easy to control the temperature especially when you need a low temperature like 108-250 deg F, it's just not very precise. When I make tomato sauce I use it at higher temperatures to get a boil but the finish is a porcelain (thin to nothing) over steel. The finish is damaged with regular use. I'd shopped for something with a stainless steel pan, but didn't find anything I liked.
I don't know that I'd use it for a slow cooker and haven't tried.
It could work but until you know how hot it is getting you'd have to monitor the temperature with a probe/thermometer. The heating element is half way up the sides straight across the sides stopping on both sides of the temperature control knob. There's no heating in the middle or bottom of the pan.
The brands I've used are Nesco and Bella.
Thank you for the reply. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything that would fit the bill.

Our church, and many others use the classic "Nesco roaster"! 18 qt capacity, 200-450 degree F temp range. Works well for stewing, holding/serving and can roast a turkey making one tool capable of wet and dry cooking. Porcelain enamel insert and under $100.

I put this tool is the category of general purpose. Not perfect for everything but primarily good for feeding groups hot food. Are you are looking for a way to prepare a specific food item?

1729530502235.png

SGM Chef,​

Thanx for the reply.
I am looking for something larger than the 8 QT slow cooker I have now because sometimes when I have to feed a lot of people, the 8 qt is just too small.
I have been reading that some of the electric roaster ovens can be used as a slow cooker.
That being said, 26 QT's can feed a lot more people.
Still, I might want to use it for other things besides the slow cooker.
I have also been reading how, on certain makes and models, only after a couple of uses, the pan finishes will chip. rust develops on the lid and in the pan, so I am trying to find one that I don't have to worry about.
Thanx again.

I grew up Lutheran, and all the church ladies had those big electric roasting pans for the weekly pot-luck suppers. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Back
Top Bottom