Help with Chicken Noodle Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
When making chicken noodle soup from scratch(1), is it best to cook the noodles in a separate pot rather than adding them to the broth?

And what about the vegetables?

Thanks

(1) Well, maybe not exactly from scratch. I didn't create the chicken or any of the other ingredients, or the earth where they arose, or the universe.

You can make it either way, but will need to add 1/4 - 1/3 extra cup of liquid to account for what the noodles will absorb, plus a pinch of extra salt.

The broth will get a bit cloudy if the noodles are cooked in, but you won't have an extra pan to wash.

Add the noodles in at the appropriate time for everything to be done together.

You can do both.

I prefer to cook rice noodles seperate,or actually, just soak them till pliable, then add with 1 or 2 minutes to go.

For egg noodles and 2 minute noodles, I chop and change

I don’t think that there is a wrong way. 🤔

I toss the dry noodles into the simmering stock at the end of the cooking time.

Go easy on the noodle to broth ratio because the noodles will continue to absorb the stock and you might end up with a chicken noodle casserole.

I use celery, onion, and carrot for the vegetables. I cook the vegetables in the stock for approximately fifteen minutes.

You can do it all from scratch or you can use a rotisserie chicken, boxed broth or Better Than Bouillon, frozen or prepared mirepoix, etc…

It’s also nice to change things up from a hearty soup to a simpler more delicate version.

Last edited:
This might sound weird but for chicken soup I always start by poaching a whole chicken considering I'll be using some of the meat instead of using a chicken stock I've previously made and stored and would never use a boxed stock, but have used boxed for just about everything else, like I said weird. Love chicken soup. I've used many different pasta's, noodles and different precooked rice, and I've always cooked the pasta's in the broth, it's all good.

This might sound weird but for chicken soup I always start by poaching a whole chicken considering I'll be using some of the meat instead of using a chicken stock I've previously made and stored and would never use a boxed stock, but have used boxed for just about everything else, like I said weird. Love chicken soup. I've used many different pasta's, noodles and different precooked rice, and I've always cooked the pasta's in the broth, it's all good.
I use broth and cook the chicken in it.

Every once in a while I used to poach a whole chicken, but it's been years. Doubt I'll ever do it again as there is just me. Don't have the inclination nor the energy to clean the bones after, divvy it all up for various things. Do admit it is mighty tasty!

Poaching a whole chicken or chicken parts with carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes to create an inexpensive boiled dinner or pot au feu sounds good.

1728233661555.jpeg

Second night could be leftovers, chicken hash, chicken salad, etc…

Bonus night broth for soup.

Back
Top Bottom