Help Board Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mseaglecook

Senior Cook
I thought we could come on this post and help each other out. Nothing is off limits from relationship advice to how to fix a can opener.

I'll start:

I have two old jet ski personal watercraft boats to get rid of. Any ideas where to "recycle" them aka dump, junk or sell them.

Any ideas???

I thought we could come on this post and help each other out. Nothing is off limits from relationship advice to how to fix a can opener.

I'll start:

I have two old jet ski personal watercraft boats to get rid of. Any ideas where to "recycle" them aka dump, junk or sell them.

Any ideas???

I have owned a few Seadoo PWCs, and they have sold in days, for good money. I don't know about Kawasaki Jet Skis. I'd post them on Craigslist for what you want/need to get for them, and be ready to lower the price if you have to. There are probably people out there that fix them up and resell them. If they are in bad shape, or don't run, those people would probably take them off your hands, even if they don't want to pay anything for them. At least you would get rid of them.

CD

Anyone know a reliable way to get rid of gnats in the house? Could be fruit flies... I just know for sure that they are tiny, and a real PITA.

CD

b2xaqkgkhzl51.jpg

Another vote for FB marketplace.

Put them on the curb with a free sign, snap a photo, post it along with the location, and they will disappear in a few hours.

for gnats and fruit flies, you want to keep your house really dry. no liquid and certainly no foods or drinks sitting out. make sure your sponges are dry too. that way they don't have anything to eat.

no fruit sitting out either.

for gnats and fruit flies, you want to keep your house really dry. no liquid and certainly no foods or drinks sitting out. make sure your sponges are dry too. that way they don't have anything to eat.

no fruit sitting out either.
This, plus I read that they sometimes reproduce in the garbage disposal, so make sure you use that regularly and rinse it well.

Anyone know a reliable way to get rid of gnats in the house? Could be fruit flies... I just know for sure that they are tiny, and a real PITA.

CD

You never know when they will turn up. You can do as suggested to keep from getting them....
but you were asking how to get rid of them, once you have them - try this.
Little dishes of vinegar (apple cider preferred). I believe there are also little yellow sticky things sold. My DIL had some but don't know where she got them. I'll ask.

Edit to add:- some people cover the dishes with plastic wrap and poke holes so they can't get out - I don't bother, they eventually drown anyhow.

This, plus I read that they sometimes reproduce in the garbage disposal, so make sure you use that regularly and rinse it well.

I'm pretty sure that's where they are coming from. I keep it rinsed, and lately started to spray a quick blast of flying insect killer down there at least once a day.

CD

You never know when they will turn up. You can do as suggested to keep from getting them....
but you were asking how to get rid of them, once you have them - try this.
Little dishes of vinegar (apple cider preferred). I believe there are also little yellow sticky things sold. My DIL had some but don't know where she got them. I'll ask.

Edit to add:- some people cover the dishes with plastic wrap and poke holes so they can't get out - I don't bother, they eventually dr own anyhow.
Some people put a drop or two of dish soap in the ACV. Apparently it makes it even harder for the flys to get out. I know this works for fruit flies. I don't know if it would work with gnats.

Gnats don't usually invase hiuses. Pretty sure they'll be fruit flies.
Good idea on the soap, had forgotten that.
For your disposal.. you talking about in-sink disposals?
Again pour in either some vinegar or lemon juice.

Some people put a drop or two of dish soap in the ACV. Apparently it makes it even harder for the flys to get out. I know this works for fruit flies. I don't know if it would work with gnats.

I've done the ACV thing, in a jar with a lid that had holes poked in it. I got a few, but not enough.

They do drown in containers of sweet liquids... namely my drinks.

CD

Gnats don't usually invase hiuses. Pretty sure they'll be fruit flies.
Good idea on the soap, had forgotten that.
For your disposal.. you talking about in-sink disposals?
Again pour in either some vinegar or lemon juice.

I think you guys call them "garburators." :giggle:

CD

LOL, that's true! we do/did!
Don't hear about them as much as you used to. Think the city sort of frowns upon them, too much sludge going into the sewer systems. Plus many people compost as do many cities.

As I understand it, garburators / garbage disposals are not legal around here. I was checking that on the intertubes and came across some info from a company called Sepura. They are doing something I have thought would be a good idea for decades. Their disposer unit doesn't send the food through the pipes, just the liquid. It is sometimes called a compost garbage disposal. I thought it would be great to run food scraps through a disposal and collect them for composting. I'm pretty sure I came up with that idea one day while I was grinding egg shells for the compost. If you don't, the egg shells take forever to break down and your otherwise ready to use compost is full of visible chunks of egg shells.

Once I started composting and feeding chickens, I've always rinsed the shells, let them dry and then ground to almost a powder in one of my mortars.
It's basically true that shells can take years to decompose into the soil if you leave them whole. Once ground they can break down into the soil in approximately a year.

I was watching a Canadian home show on YouTube, and found out what "garburetors" were, and that they are against code up there.

CD

I was watching a Canadian home show on YouTube, and found out what "garburetors" were, and that they are against code up there.

CD
Oh, my I have a garbage disposal in our sinks my whole life. We always scraped our plates and were careful what we put down the disposal. I am shocked they are consider rogue in Canada.
:(

When you said you had gnats my first thought is that they were probably coming from your compost pile. Now that you say they are coming from the disposal that changes the game. I know they make special disposal cleansers. Also try putting some ice cubes and run it to clean out some stuck on gunk.

Even from the first time I heard about them, as much as I loved the idea, I still thought that all that sludge going into the sewage system was not quite right.
I like taxy's idea that if there was a filtering system, to let the liquids drain off and the rest collected separately for your compost or the city's compost.
Especially in older homes that still have metal pipes with years of build-up... ask me how I know - and I've never had a garborator.

Back
Top Bottom